Waverly travels to Riverside for Regional Championship

vandyfan1

I was at the game last night since we were covid out. I thought Waverly played real well. The QB and number 22 was a handful for Westview. The offensive line for Waverly was blowing up the Westview defensive line. 22 runs hard. Westview looked like they wanted no part in tackling that young man. I thought the Waverly coach kind of got away from using him late in the game. The Waverly defense was able to put pressure on Simpson all night but he would escape and make some big runs that hurt Waverly down the stretch. They did a really good job controlling the passing game. 24 for Westview hurt Waverly in the run game. He had 12 Carries for 169 yards. For the life of me I do not understand why the Westview coaching staff does not get that kid more touches. I don't know anything about Riverside but if Waverly can play the way they did last night I see Waverly winning this game. 

This is the first time Frostie has gotten to play for a region championship at home. I think Frost will have his boys ready. River Cats 24, Wavo Wonders 20. If any of you Waverly folks can't come over to the swamp fest, you can watch it free on [Facebook live The News Leader] and listen to BigPun Pancho and Lefty Daryl, the best announcers in all of high school football, besides Wes Blankenship. 

41 minutes ago, @38320 said:

This is the first time Frostie has gotten to play for a region championship at home. I think Frost will have his boys ready. River Cats 24, Wavo Wonders 20. If any of you Waverly folks can't come over to the swamp fest, you can watch it free on [Facebook live The News Leader] and listen to BigPun Pancho and Lefty Daryl, the best announcers in all of high school football, besides Wes Blankenship. 

Hope they don't put a limit on tickets . I'm sure we will travel well for this game.  

Riverside is going to try and stretch out our defense and give #20 the ball up the middle for that one on one match up with the linebackers and then bring the formation in tight and try to get to the outside. I don’t see them throwing deep on us but they will try those short hitch routes and slants.  

I think Riverside defense is very acceptable to those crossing routes. Adamsville ate them up like that but penalties killed the Ville. 

I think Dooley, Elliott, Houston is going to be a hard match up for Riverside. Dooley is big and strong can throw the ball and use his legs very well. Houston is a very big power back with speed and Elliott is a very talented sophomore with tons of speed. If the play calling is right I really like our chances. If Waverly doesn’t mix up the play calling and plays undisciplined football it will be a long ride back across the river!

Edited by vandyfan1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Trollin said:

Waverly is going to get this W. Also I found TSSAA official record for Waverly amongst all the crazy Covid mess. Shows that East Hickman is a no contest. So if Waverly wins, they will be #1 and if they lose they will be #2.

Date Day Opponent Notes Result  
Aug. 21, 2020 Fri Camden Central High School   W 40-6  
Aug. 29, 2020 Sat at Huntingdon High School   L 20-36  
Sep. 4, 2020 Fri Hickman Co. High School *   W 20-0  
Sep. 11, 2020 Fri Fairview (COVID-19) COVID-19 Cancellation W 1-0  
Sep. 18, 2020 Fri at Scotts Hill High School *   W 40-0  
Oct. 8, 2020 Thu Gibson Co. High School   W 24-20  
Oct. 16, 2020 Fri Houston Co. High School *   W 35-22  
Oct. 23, 2020 Fri at Westview High School   L 23-31  
Oct. 30, 2020 Fri at Decatur Co. Riverside High School *   7:00 PM  
  Record: 6-2

Maybe that is the way it will play out. So let’s just say waverly wins. Waverly will have the opportunity to have home field advantage throughout the playoffs as long as both teams get past the second round and Riverside will come to Waverly for the quarterfinals. Then the winner of that will go to Trenton or McKenzie.

If Riverside wins they have the opportunity to play out at home as long as Waverly wins the second round if waverly doesn’t win then Riverside will be traveling to Lewis for a rematch. 

4 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

Riverside is going to try and stretch out our defense and give #20 the ball up the middle for that one on one match up with the linebackers and then bring the formation in tight and try to get to the outside. I don’t see them throwing deep on us but they will try those short hitch routes and slants.  

I think Riverside defense is very acceptable to those crossing routes. Adamsville ate them up like that but penalties killed the Ville. 

I think Dooley, Elliott, Houston is going to be a hard match up for Riverside. Dooley is big and strong can throw the ball and use his legs very well. Houston is a very big power back with speed and Elliott is a very talented sophomore with tons of speed. If the play calling is right I really like our chances. If Waverly doesn’t mix up the play calling and plays undisciplined football it will be a long ride back across the river!

Boo Stanfield is a matchup problem for any team!