Week 11 -- Alcoa at D-B (Rivalry Thursday)

TribalEmpire

8 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

who says DB will make it to the Maryville game? And if they do it's going to be more of the same. A lot of changes will have to be made in Kingsport for that game to ever be competitive. 

This... unless Bearden beats Johnson City tonight and gift wraps the 1 seed to D-B, then I think the Tribe, sadly, will be one and done.

I have said this for many years now and will stick by it until proven otherwise:    Football in NET is not taken seriously*.    I just do not see any teams putting year around work into building championship football programs.    All of us fans get excited at certain points in the year and think "yeah, this year it's going to be different, we've finally turned the corner..."      Uh, no we haven't and never will.      NET football is complacent and satisfied with mediocrity, finish > .500 and call it a good season.   Or run the regular season table and an early playoff exit, oh well there's always next year!     Or "our middle schools are beating the daylights out of everybody, just give it a couple more years....."

What causes this and what can be done to change it?     Is it all on the coaching?      Are the players not giving 100% on every down?     Are there guys roaming the halls who could roadgrade Alcoa's defensive front but due to political crap they don't even try out for the team?      Or are we, the fans, partially to blame for accepting mediocrity as a way of life and not demanding more of our school systems?        This is a philosophical discussion that should maybe be on its own thread, none of these comments are leveled at DB exclusively, I'm hitting against all of NET.             Well enough said, let's get ready for basketball season.........

*  disclaimer: This is a 5A/6A thread, Greeneville and Betsy are 4A, Hampton/Cloudland 2A, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

I have said this for many years now and will stick by it until proven otherwise:    Football in NET is not taken seriously*.    I just do not see any teams putting year around work into building championship football programs.    All of us fans get excited at certain points in the year and think "yeah, this year it's going to be different, we've finally turned the corner..."      Uh, no we haven't and never will.      NET football is complacent and satisfied with mediocrity, finish > .500 and call it a good season.   Or run the regular season table and an early playoff exit, oh well there's always next year!     Or "our middle schools are beating the daylights out of everybody, just give it a couple more years....."

What causes this and what can be done to change it?     Is it all on the coaching?      Are the players not giving 100% on every down?     Are there guys roaming the halls who could roadgrade Alcoa's defensive front but due to political crap they don't even try out for the team?      Or are we, the fans, partially to blame for accepting mediocrity as a way of life and not demanding more of our school systems?        This is a philosophical discussion that should maybe be on its own thread, none of these comments are leveled at DB exclusively, I'm hitting against all of NET.             Well enough said, let's get ready for basketball season.........

*  disclaimer: This is a 5A/6A thread, Greeneville and Betsy are 4A, Hampton/Cloudland 2A, etc.

So what you're really talking about is two schools. Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett. It all boils down to coaching. It's always coaching. Two schools that size and with the athletes both have?  I'm not going to go into all the reasons (and it's all connected to coaching). We've talked about it for 10 years. 

9 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

So what you're really talking about is two schools. Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett. It all boils down to coaching. It's always coaching. Two schools that size and with the athletes both have?  I'm not going to go into all the reasons (and it's all connected to coaching). We've talked about it for 10 years. 

No, I include the NET 5A schools as well, none of them take football seriously.    For instance, tonight we will get a win over Cherokee and then go down to Knoxville next week and be one and done.   But hey, we made the playoffs so it was a good year, now get those roundballs out.