Week 11 -- Alcoa at D-B (Rivalry Thursday)

TribalEmpire

1 hour ago, BatmanDB said:

Anyone got a guess on how this game is going to go between DB and Alcoa. Without a question,this Alcoa team is one of the most talented teams in the state.

I have a guess. Rankin won't throw on every down the way Carter did. He'll run a balanced offense. Alcoa has the weapons and their coached well enough that they wont have to pick one weakness and exploit it on every play. I don't think DB will be able to slow their running game down very much, and even if they do Alcoa will just pop a pass downfield to a wide open receiver and that will be that. Alcoa will be by far the best defense DB has faced this year. Science Hill is about as average as you can get and they held DB to 21. And 7 of those was a gift. So on Alcoa I don't see DB having more than one TD. So I'll go with something like 41 - 7 Alcoa. 

5 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I have a guess. Rankin won't throw on every down the way Carter did. He'll run a balanced offense. Alcoa has the weapons and their coached well enough that they wont have to pick one weakness and exploit it on every play. I don't think DB will be able to slow their running game down very much, and even if they do Alcoa will just pop a pass downfield to a wide open receiver and that will be that. Alcoa will be by far the best defense DB has faced this year. Science Hill is about as average as you can get and they held DB to 21. And 7 of those was a gift. So on Alcoa I don't see DB having more than one TD. So I'll go with something like 41 - 7 Alcoa. 

You are right, I saw Alcoa play one game this year and their defense is on another level.  Their D-Linemen are in the backfield so quickly if you blink you miss it.    Defensive backs flat out lay the wood to receivers.  They just do not seem to have any weaknesses and DB will have to have a perfect game to have a chance.

DB's biggest weapon is depth. Alcoa had a few playing a lot in a tight game against Maryville that they ran with it until the car ran out of gas. I couldn't count how many times the game got interrupted that night for Alcoa for leg cramps. Rankin has Anderson who is 6 foot four at receiver and will have to use him a lot for them to win. Glad this is a Thursday Night game and it being on TV locally.

9 minutes ago, chrisburr said:

Rooting for DB

so sick of Alcoa winning titles all the time and not moving up a classification

That's Mr. Rankin's doings not Alcoa. If he had any knowledge when he signed this game up two years ago that D-B would have finally produced a decent team this one wouldn't be happening Thursday Night. Now it is what it is and the showdown is here. I'm just glad to be able to see a great game Thursday evening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BarneySox2007 said:

That's Mr. Rankin's doings not Alcoa. If he had any knowledge when he signed this game up two years ago that D-B would have finally produced a decent team this one wouldn't be happening Thursday Night. Now it is what it is and the showdown is here. I'm just glad to be able to see a great game Thursday evening.

Hes done everything at alcoa

it might be time for him to rebuild another team

Well, I'm going to jump into the fire with gas in hand. I don't know where anyone would want a school with 500 or 600 kids to move up to.4A  or 5A.They already jump on the most dominate 6A team in the history of the class every year.They can't help it because they are just twice as good as any school twice their size most every year.Maybe they should just travel and play the best 3A schools in the country to make it fair.No,that probably won't help.Maybe they should have to play with one hand tied behind their backs.No,that wouldn't work.OK,Alcoa has to blind fold every player and promise not to play hard against other schools their own size.If that doesn't work and I was another school, I'd just forget football and concentrate on another sport,like girls basketball .

14 minutes ago, chrisburr said:

Alcoa has done everything they can at 3A

Time to jump up to 4A especially if they have any guts

But of course Alcoa is probably afraid of higher classifications and is scared of the higher classes!

Oakland and Riverdale and Whitehaven would likely blow them out

I guess you wont be happy until Maryville and Alcoa dropped to DII. But guess what, that’s not happening so your team will keep getting boat raced by them. 

Maryville is already at the highest at 6A theres no need to move them

But Alcoa definitely needs to move u

seeing the same team win 3A 20 years in a row is boring

Maryville its understandable as they are in highest class

but Alcoa could and should move up

If they were in 4A they win at least 1 4A gold ball, it would elevate both Alcoa and 4A