Who gets credit for a safety?

robjim

On 10/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, robjim said:

When the offensive player holds a defensive player in the endzone, it is a safety. Who, if anyone, gets credit for the 2 points.  Asking as a stat guy. Thanks yall

I believe no one gets individual credit for the safety and it is just a team safety.

Credit a player with a safety when:
A. He downs an opponent behind the opponent’s goal line;
B. He causes an opponent to step out of bounds behind the opponent’s goal line;
C. He blocks a kick or deflects a backward pass and the ball goes out of the end zone behind
the opponent’s goal line.
Example I: Fourth-and-10 at own 4-yard line. Defensive tackle blocks a punt. The ball is recovered in the end zone by the punter, and the cornerback downs the punter there. Scoring: Credit the cornerback with a safety.
 36 of 37

Guide forStatisticians
Example II: Fourth-and-10 at own 4-yard line. The offensive team decides to allow a safety rather than to kick on fourth down. The punter receives the snap and lingers near the end line, consuming time until the defensive tackle chases him out of bounds. Scoring: Credit the defensive tackle with a safety.

Unless a safety falls into one of the categories listed above, no credit shall be given to any individual.

I had to look it up. Basically if it isn't covered by one of these rules it is just a safety no player gets credit 

Safeties

Credit a player with a safety when:

A. He downs an opponent behind the opponent’s goal line;

B. He causes an opponent to step out of bounds behind the opponent’s goal line;

C. He blocks a kick or deflects a backward pass and the ball goes out of the end zone behind the opponent’s goal line.

Example I: Fourth-and-10 at own 4-yard line. Defensive tackle blocks a punt. The ball is recovered in the end zone by the punter, and the cornerback downs the punter there. Scoring: Credit the cornerback with a safety

Edited by Beagle