Championship Teams without a Running Game

osunut2

16 hours ago, osunut2 said:

This came up in another thread, and I felt that this question deserved its own thread.

Excluding the small schools, when was the last time a team won a TSSAA title without a real running game? CAK did it in 3A with Charlie High in the early 2010s, but I can't think of any other recent example(s). Other teams have tried and had some success (e.g., Anderson County, Campbell County), but they've failed to get to Cookeville.

Are there any examples that I'm forgetting?

CAK was pass-heavy, but they definitely has a running game the two years they won championships.

When Rathbone transferred from Maryville, that changed the ability of those teams a lot!!!!

It is very difficult at the high school level to have a successful team that passes nearly every play.   There is too much involved:   passing + catching + blocking.    And all 3 have to be synchronized for it to work and the probability that a given HS has that kind of personnel attending at the same time.....    Yeah there are a few who can pull it off but very few.