MTCS @ USJ - II-A State Quarterfinal

Bellsburg2

Middle Tennessee Christian gets a COVID win over Columbia Academy and the table is set for a quarterfinal matchup at USJ. This will be the first ever meeting between the Cougars and the Bruins. Both teams finished in a second-place tie in their respective regions in what has been a wild year in high school football across the state. The Bruins had a total of 4 games cancelled due to COVID, were able to replace 2 of them early in the season, but no such luck as the season wore on. Adding in a playoff bye week means when they take the field on 11/13, it will be for the first time in 28 days. We did hold a formal Blue & White game last friday to get some full speed action for the boys, but rust could definitely still be an issue. On the bright side, most of our injured troops should be back to full strength. 

I have watched a little film on MTCS, but don't have a great feel for the team yet. Anyone on here have any insight? 

MTCS has been riddled with injuries this year. Lost both starting RB / LB mid to late season. Two losses were against 4A schools by less than a score. One COVID loss, and the other two were to TKA & Cornersville. Solid QB play (however out two weeks due to COVID) and some speed, not very big. Play good D.

The FCS vs. Jackson Christian game should give us a preview of East vs. West

6 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

MTCS has been riddled with injuries this year. Lost both starting RB / LB mid to late season. Two losses were against 4A schools by less than a score. One COVID loss, and the other two were to TKA & Cornersville. Solid QB play (however out two weeks due to COVID) and some speed, not very big. Play good D.

Per an FCS parent they are playing well. The defense is very good vs the run and much improved against the pass. FCS will try to run the ball first and mix in some passing occasionally. FCS has a great kicker. FCS is healthy and now has an offensive identity.  FCS is a very tough team to face in the playoffs for any team.  

12 hours ago, CougarDadx2 said:

The film I have seen is from the last 2 games (Webb and MJC) and the #22 they have running the ball is fast and slippery. He is a freshman according to their roster and I assume the replacement for the injured RB mentioned, but he was their best weapon in both games. They also have a couple of good sized WRs that can go up and get the ball. We have been keeping our D linemen in cages and feeding them raw meat during these bye weeks, so the MTCS QB may not have a ton of time to air out the long ball. 

I think the FCS/JCS matchup looks good on paper, but their seasons are on very different trajectories and I wouldn't be shocked to see the Commanders run away with it. JCS has a lot of weapons and can score points in bunches if they get clicking, they just haven't done that since September. Here's hoping for a shootout. The TCA/GCF game should be a good one too. It's also about 200 miles closer to me, so if I make it to a game, that'll be the one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bellsburg2 said:

East vs West....

TCA wins comfortably against GCF

JCS tops FCS in a Big 12 shootout 

NCS handles Webb as expected

WEST 3, COVID 1, EAST 0

The higher seeds join the party next week and the fun continues.

Good matchups this week. 

NCS at TKA - TKA has size and speed all over the field but can they put together a complete game against NCS? On paper TKA has the talent to win it all but game changing turnovers in their biggest games have plagued them all year. 

Trinity at DCA - my favorite matchup. We’ve heard a lot about Trinity on here the last few years. Will be fun to see them in action. DCA hasn’t been at full strength since the first half at TKA so it’s a different team now. I know nothing about Trinity but here’s a little insight from a DCA fans perspective. Trinity has given up approximately 25 pts per game on average and 45 pts per game against the top 3 teams from the west. DCA averaged over 30 pts per game in the first half in their region games. It will be interesting to see how they try to contain Mr Football Finalist Jon Lewis, preseason all state Jacob Cook (JR) at WR, and the other weapons DCA has on the field. Can Trinitys offense  score more than the 21 they did against Grace Christian to help the defense out?  Defensively  Stanton (Sr) and Tolbert (Soph)  have been difficult to block and Russell (soph) runs sideline to sideline making tackles so what will Trinity do to slow down a defense that his given up 6 pts per game (ST and pts against while on offense excluded) DCA has five seniors playing in what could be their last home game so it will be a fun game to watch. 

6 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

East vs West....

TCA wins comfortably against GCF

JCS tops FCS in a Big 12 shootout 

NCS handles Webb as expected

WEST 3, COVID 1, EAST 0

The higher seeds join the party next week and the fun continues.

Excited to see this week - most of the games above went as except the JCS - FCS game. That game had enough mistakes from both teams to last awhile, but a good game nevertheless.