Humboldt coach

On 12/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, WesTNFootball said:

Kids who live on the border of school zones. Usually they can justify going to either school. Once upon a time these kids pick to go to Humboldt. Now they go to SG, Trenton, Milan, or GC. 

How strict are the "school zones" defined?  Is there a rule of how close they have to live to the school zone to cross over, or can they cross over several school zones to attend a school?  Assuming they can cross over a zone or multiple zones entering as a freshman, can they change their mind and attend the school in the zone they live as a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior?  

On 11/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

If you're a young football coach, that wants to be a head coach, I think Humboldt is a great place to go. In addition, I think it gives Humboldt an opportunity to hit the reset button knowing they have some momentum heading into 2021. Saying that, and despite being in the middle of two lawsuits (and I believe they have lost one of the two), Humboldt administration needs to invest in the program. The Humboldt administration staff has to ask them this question: "either put money into the program, or get rid of it." Look, I don't care what happened to Humboldt in the past, that happened. But I do care about what happens to Humboldt in the future. They basically need a new stadium, badly!! I cannot imagine what the restrooms are like. They desperately need a new concussion stand immediately. Also, their field house need some massive renovations and needs to be pressured washed, too. It's an interesting job, if the Humboldt administration staff does their due diligence. But they just got to give their new coach a fighting chance.

I graduated from Humboldt and did color on the radio for Humboldt three years ago. It will be a challenging job for whoever because Humboldt has turned into a basketball school .

3 hours ago, blitzinbuc said:

How strict are the "school zones" defined?  Is there a rule of how close they have to live to the school zone to cross over, or can they cross over several school zones to attend a school?  Assuming they can cross over a zone or multiple zones entering as a freshman, can they change their mind and attend the school in the zone they live as a Sophomore, Junior, or Senior?  

They're in a unique situation blitzinbuc... two counties in Tn. have Special School Districts, Gibson and Carroll. If you really want to understand exactly how it works (zones, transfers, ect...) you'll have to do some research, but I can give you an outline; There's a county system like everyplace else, but within the boundaries of the county, almost every city/town has their own system apart from the county. Students are eligible to attend Gibson Co. or South Gibson from anyplace in county, and each (sub) system is responsible for their own rules allowing enrollment/transfers. By (sub) systems, I mean that they are within Gibson County, but are wholly separate in all aspects such as funding, central office, Director, and Board. Humboldt, Trenton, Milan, Bradford, ect... are all able to set their own guidelines regarding tuition, out of "zone" enrollment, and even whether they have a zone or not in regard to your question. Forgive me if I have provided misinformation, but that's what I believe the situation is from attending board academies and training with members of respective members from Gibson Co. and the SSD's within.

EDIT

Of course all must be within TSSAA guidelines for a student to be eligible to play.

Edited by tradertwo

6 hours ago, stacmot said:

This should tell you a lot about what is happening at Humboldt.

https://www.wbbjtv.com/2020/03/31/humboldt-superintendent-files-lawsuit/

Dumpster fire. Contradicts everything stated about the firing of Dan Bland, but is exactly what happened. 

They're (the "adults") reaping what they've sown, and it's sad that the football program is the one suffering the most... they effectively killed one of the most storied programs in West Tn. with their racism and ineptitude.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Dumpster fire. Contradicts everything stated about the firing of Dan Bland, but is exactly what happened. 

They're (the "adults") reaping what they've sown, and it's sad that the football program is the one suffering the most... they effectively killed one of the most storied programs in West Tn. with their racism and ineptitude.

I agree!

22 hours ago, tradertwo said:

They're in a unique situation blitzinbuc... two counties in Tn. have Special School Districts, Gibson and Carroll. If you really want to understand exactly how it works (zones, transfers, ect...) you'll have to do some research, but I can give you an outline; There's a county system like everyplace else, but within the boundaries of the county, almost every city/town has their own system apart from the county. Students are eligible to attend Gibson Co. or South Gibson from anyplace in county, and each (sub) system is responsible for their own rules allowing enrollment/transfers. By (sub) systems, I mean that they are within Gibson County, but are wholly separate in all aspects such as funding, central office, Director, and Board. Humboldt, Trenton, Milan, Bradford, ect... are all able to set their own guidelines regarding tuition, out of "zone" enrollment, and even whether they have a zone or not in regard to your question. Forgive me if I have provided misinformation, but that's what I believe the situation is from attending board academies and training with members of respective members from Gibson Co. and the SSD's within.

EDIT

Of course all must be within TSSAA guidelines for a student to be eligible to play.

Thanks for the information. I like the the autonomy aspect of each school district, but can see why there could be some issues with that structure of each school having different guidelines. It's a conundrum for sure, but I'm not sure each school should be forced to change what they do.
There's probably not much loyalty for an athlete to attend their closest high school, especially if that high school is fairly new, and not one their parents attended.  Some parents want their children to attend what they perceive the best academic school, some want the one that has the best sports program that their child excels in, some based on the area of the county with low crime and a higher standard of living.  Whether their decision is right or wrong, it's their decision.
Things are just so much different than when I was a teenage athlete - and I'm not sure that the "progress" I see is always a good thing.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:12 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The lawsuit is 100% justified. Everything she said they did in fact happened. 

On 12/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, tradertwo said:

On 12/4/2020 at 8:44 AM, blitzinbuc said:

Wow, that's not a good thing to be happening. What's the general consensus of the citizens about the lawsuit? Justified or political correctness posturing?

I work at Humboldt and the worst part about all of this is how the people feel about it. It is literally 50/50 for what happened and against what happened. Not sure how this will shake out. If it wasn’t a split like it is I think it would be a better situation, but it’s not. A lot of colleagues I worked with left because of the change.

Edit: I’m not meaning their feelings about the lawsuit or the hire as being the worst part. What I am meaning is the division that it has caused.

Edited by PHSRollTide