Smith County looking for a new Head Coach

kingofthenorth

1 hour ago, DirtyBird18 said:

Didn’t say I didn’t have skin in the game. Said I don’t have a kid at SC and I don’t coach. I want my Owls to win just as bad as the next guy, but dang get it right. Don’t ignore the fact that the issues are bigger than a coach. Get it fixed and let’s get back to SC football. 

I agree there is a problem but it isn’t going anywhere for a few more years. The board there keeps extending the contract. Thing is SC is almost a laughing stock in other counties when it comes to administration at or towards the top. That issue obviously isn’t going anywhere soon so might as well take it for what it is and try to make the best of it. A new coach can succeed there if they have the right mindset and can connect with the kids. I’d life to see Carthage he succeed and get back to what they used to be. I’d love it for the fact that hopefully they would schedule local teams, H20 in particular, and create local rivalries and good games every year that people and fans could be excited about. There’s nothing better than a Friday night with 2 small towns that despise each other for about 3 hours then can come together after and support the other. The more local teams that play each other the more that can happen and the better it is for the this whole area. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merlyn said:

I agree there is a problem but it isn’t going anywhere for a few more years. The board there keeps extending the contract. Thing is SC is almost a laughing stock in other counties when it comes to administration at or towards the top. That issue obviously isn’t going anywhere soon so might as well take it for what it is and try to make the best of it. A new coach can succeed there if they have the right mindset and can connect with the kids. I’d life to see Carthage he succeed and get back to what they used to be. I’d love it for the fact that hopefully they would schedule local teams, H20 in particular, and create local rivalries and good games every year that people and fans could be excited about. There’s nothing better than a Friday night with 2 small towns that despise each other for about 3 hours then can come together after and support the other. The more local teams that play each other the more that can happen and the better it is for the this whole area. 

Now this I can get onboard with, someone acknowledging there is a much bigger issue. I hope you’re right on the succeed part and we’re not back here in 2-3 years discussing the same thing. Like I said, I will gladly eat my crow. 

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird18 said:

Now this I can get onboard with, someone acknowledging there is a much bigger issue. I hope you’re right on the succeed part and we’re not back here in 2-3 years discussing the same thing. Like I said, I will gladly eat my crow. 

There’s been others that acknowledges it but as I stated there’s not much that can be done so might as well make the best of it. I don’t have a dog in the hunt just an outside looking in perspective. I’m sure there’s a lot I don’t know. I only know what is obvious from the outside and what friends/family say. I feel comfortable enough with some of those though to believe they have a comfortable grip of what’s going on there. 

On 11/28/2020 at 11:53 AM, Merlyn said:

I would have thought that also but I seen a Facebook post yesterday that was kind of eye brow raising. Could have been an innocent post but it would definitely make you stop and think. 

If it is the same one I seen that makes me wonder also. I just cannot remember where at on Facebook I seen it. 

29 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Are the coach/es that have backed out doing so before or after being offered the job?

Also, with all the talk of who's pulling the strings from the administration side, could the difference in the last two staffs and Maynard be that he was principal as well, being basically his own boss?

I think Maynard left while he was Principle and Lewis was DOS ( his boss ), If I recall right, Smith became DOS maybe 2014. Not positive about that, but close. 

As far as a coach, I'm not too sure anybody knows much anything other than speculation. Maybe  a handful of people would know who has/hadn't interviewed, withdrawn etc.. And I would think they wouldn't talk to anybody much other than potential coaches. Why would they? 

• Like 1