Smith County looking for a new Head Coach

kingofthenorth

Didn't Chuck Gentry at Lebanon used to coach at Smith County?  He has turned the football program around at Lebanon and done as well as a coach possibly could there I believe.  I know it's a drop from 6A to 3A but he would be a great choice for the Owls.  They need to get away from the Metro region a.s.a.p. or they'll have a hard time attracting anyone.  

7 hours ago, croz6110 said:

Didn't Gville have tiger paws on the helmets in the 80s?

I like them, because it seems like a throwback.

I would make Hackett tell me no as far as the job goes, but had it been up to me(it isn't), I wouldn't have let Murray go. It's hard to deny that the Owls got better as the season went on, and they hosted a playoff game playing mostly sophomores. I feel that he overachieved. 

Gville used to have the GT on the helmets for a while too.  I would vote for the G over any others. Some how I feel there's more to the story than we know about Murray, I don't know or heard anything but it just seems odd. But,  it may have been just a bad fit.  

10 hours ago, Reynard said:

Gville used to have the GT on the helmets for a while too.  I would vote for the G over any others. Some how I feel there's more to the story than we know about Murray, I don't know or heard anything but it just seems odd. But,  it may have been just a bad fit.  

I would have to agree... there’s more than meets the eye here. Something else is/was happening behind the scenes. I’m not sure they have someone else in mind, but this decision was made a long time ago. 

As far as coaches, I don’t think Hackett or Gentry are leaving where they’re at. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, eers said:

I would have to agree... there’s more than meets the eye here. Something else is/was happening behind the scenes. I’m not sure they have someone else in mind, but this decision was made a long time ago. 

As far as coaches, I don’t think Hackett or Gentry are leaving where they’re at. 

Gentry would be taking a huge cut in pay.

11 hours ago, Reynard said:

41 minutes ago, eers said:

I really don’t think there was any more to it. Talking to friends and family there it wasn’t a good fit and pretty shaky from the start. I’ve heard he wasn’t the guy they wanted and had a very short leash the whole way. Take that and kids quitting and saying they’re transferring next year, whether they was or wasn’t, it all built up to something had to happen. 

1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

I really don’t think there was any more to it. Talking to friends and family there it wasn’t a good fit and pretty shaky from the start. I’ve heard he wasn’t the guy they wanted and had a very short leash the whole way. Take that and kids quitting and saying they’re transferring next year, whether they was or wasn’t, it all built up to something had to happen. 

Rumor has it there was a big booster that was unhappy. Question is do you want to make people happy or make your program better. I know this is a message board and a lot of the things said have no weight, but seriously we’re discussing uniforms, “Owls Nest”, etc as having ANY influence and impact on a football coach having a job. It sounds like to me there are bigger issues at SC.