Devils @Betsy

lawnman

Tom is a fan and broadcaster.  He is calling a game for a team he cheers for.  He is calling for his own personal radio show and just happen to be tied in with NFHS this year whom we have broadcast games and in turn our program gets money from when subscriptions are bought.  If you don’t like it then Mute the tv or turn the radio off.  Or be one of the lucky ones and get a ticket and go haha.

28 minutes ago, lawnman said:

D4 said he was whinny all night long.I was at the game and didn’t listen so I don’t know.

He is for Elizabethton and he was not any different than usual but this was their first close game. When Ryan helps him it is fine but sometimes he should  call game by himself.

1 hour ago, Tab said:

Tom was hard to listen to last night. Clapping does not sound good coming thru the phone. My advice call the game and it is fine to raise your voice when a good play happens but no clapping or cheerleading while on air.

I've listened to Tom before, and he wasn't bad.  Last night however, was pretty poor.  The guy that was with him really made it sound very amateurish.  The clapping and hollering was over the top.  I realize that most radio broadcasters have the "homers", but openly cheering sounds pretty silly.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, B-Ball Fan said:

I've listened to Tom before, and he wasn't bad.  Last night however, was pretty poor.  The guy that was with him really made it sound very amateurish.  The clapping and hollering was over the top.  I realize that most radio broadcasters have the "homers", but openly cheering sounds pretty silly.

It may sound amateur but the other guy is also the director of schools for Elizabethton so to ask him to not cheer would be like asking a baby not to cry.

14 minutes ago, BetsyCyclones16 said:

It may sound amateur but the other guy is also the director of schools for Elizabethton so to ask him to not cheer would be like asking a baby not to cry.

I completely understand that the director of schools would want to clap and cheer for his team.  However, there are stands there for that sole purpose.  You generally like for your color analyst to add something to the broadcast besides sounding like the cheer captain.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, B-Ball Fan said:

I've sat next to Tom for 20 years doing his stats. He is among the best in HS football announcing. He's been AP broadcaster of the year at least 5 times. Yes, he cheers for Elizabethton... He prepares for the games better than most. But his strength is he promotes the kids. He'll broadcast girls volleyball or TA Duggar football. Other stations won't touch "lesser" games because there's no money in it. Not Tom. The other night, according to Facebook analytics we had 4000 listeners. Tom gets excited. He's not whiney and I didn't get that impression Friday night. 

Richard and Ryan both work and coach there. They are 100% Cyclone. Coach Van Huss has kids playing basketball and volleyball. He's a great guy and he gives the broadcast his all. Ryan is the same. He's always prepared. His kids were sick Friday night so he stayed home to be with them. 

Friday night was huge and we all knew it would be a 48 minute game. The emotions were high but controlled as much as possible. Tom gave #2 from Greenville his due. The kid is a great HS running back. 

Edited by TicketToRide