8th Grade Practice Eligibility

NewToThis

Maybe someone can help me out. Is it considered legal for the 8th graders that are interested in coming out for football to start coming to workouts after Christmas? Someone said the high school coaches aren’t even allowed to go to the middle school to even talk to the 8th graders about playing football.

2 hours ago, NewToThis said:

Maybe someone can help me out. Is it considered legal for the 8th graders that are interested in coming out for football to start coming to workouts after Christmas? Someone said the high school coaches aren’t even allowed to go to the middle school to even talk to the 8th graders about playing football.

Great question!  I know if you have 8th graders on your campus there is no problem but if the 8th graders are on another campus i would be inclined to think that you must wait until they have graduated/ completed the 8th grade in May/June?  Who knows what the TSSAA will say or how they will rule.

2 hours ago, cbg said:

Great question!  I know if you have 8th graders on your campus there is no problem but if the 8th graders are on another campus i would be inclined to think that you must wait until they have graduated/ completed the 8th grade in May/June?  Who knows what the TSSAA will say or how they will rule.

8th graders that are in a school that shares a campus/building with the HS can start immediately if they are planning to attend that HS. Their eligiblity clock will start with that participation. If you are going to HS at a school not attached to your MS then you must wait until the first Monday after the last day of school. Again the clock starts with the first day of participation.

I was coming to these forums for this answer.  We have a semi-connected junior high school, 7-9. different principal, but I assume that 8th graders would be treated the same as 9th graders in that respect. 

Actually, for off season workouts, are 7th graders also part of that? I don't know how many 7-9 schools are in TN, but I am curious about this.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, MCJunkie said:

I was coming to these forums for this answer.  We have a semi-connected junior high school, 7-9. different principal, but I assume that 8th graders would be treated the same as 9th graders in that respect. 

Actually, for off season workouts, are 7th graders also part of that? I don't know how many 7-9 schools are in TN, but I am curious about this.

Different Principal is a no.Has to be under same roof.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:40 PM, guthook said:

Y'all need to talk to the AD of the High School program.  No one else can give you a good answer.  The AD is the only one that will know the specifics of their program.

Nope the answer is in the rule book.Read it.Under same roof 1 Principal.Very simple.Once you pract 3 days you cannot play anywhere else without moving also.

As I said previously, The AD knows the specifics of their program.  There are potential exceptions to the cut and dried rule.

And Here are the rules:  (says nothing about "Under same roof 1 Principal)

2020-21 TSSAA Handbook

Page 15

December 20, 2020

Eighth Grade Participation Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to practice or participate for a member school. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade. 

On 3/16/2021 at 9:25 AM, guthook said:

As I said previously, The AD knows the specifics of their program.  There are potential exceptions to the cut and dried rule.

2020-21 TSSAA Handbook

Page 15

December 20, 2020

Eighth Grade Participation Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to practice or participate for a member school. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade. 

Maybe it is derived from TSSAA caselaw, but I believe the assumption is, if there is a different principal, then it is in fact a different school. Therefore they could not be enrolled "at the school".

On 3/16/2021 at 8:25 AM, guthook said:

2020-21 TSSAA Handbook

Page 15

December 20, 2020

Eighth Grade Participation Section 8. An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school.

orngnblk got it right while keeping it simple. Scotts Hill was formerly a K-12 school, and eighth graders were not only eligible to practice, but to (with some restrictions) play, which was done in a few instances. A new campus was built for the 9-12 classes only, and the K-8 grades stayed... no more eligibility for eighth graders until the year officially ended, and the student passed. At that time (early 2000's), there were no exceptions to the "cut and dried" rules either, that wouldn't apply to any other school. When the initial inquiry was addressed, TSSAA's response was worded "in the same building".

• Like 1