Littull Fellurs vs. Okelund

STARSNBARS

22 minutes ago, StarBright87 said:

I picked Oakland to win it all, must admit you had me nervous a little when you said this Oakland team wasn't as good as previous year's and I couldn't argue with you because you have actually seen them play and I haven't. You honest opinion how do you think this year Oakland team would fair against the 16 and 18 squad 

I know you're not asking me but I'll throw my opinion in for giggles.   For the last five years I have been the scoreboard operator for Oakland so I have been at every single home game regular season and playoffs running the board.  In my opinion, the 2016 team may have been the best but the Whitehaven team was a little better that year. 2018 state championship team was very good and got the title.  I think the 2020 Pats are playing as well as the 2016 team did and are every bit as talented as that team overall.

In the beginning of this season I felt they were good but not great.   Improvements were coming along but slowly.   It seemed to me that after the Warren County game things "clicked " for these guys and all the hard work from coaches and players really started paying off.  Each playoff game they have become a more cohesive unit.  Now they are very very good.   They play smart and they play hard and have great coaches showing them the way.  All three phases are excellent.   I think it will take a herculean effort from Brentwood for them to win however that's why they play the game.   

Can't wait until Saturday night to see how things work out. It'll be nice to be a pure spectator and not have to punch a hundred buttons after every stinking play.  Go Pats!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ttitan27 said:

I know you're not asking me but I'll throw my opinion in for giggles.   For the last five years I have been the scoreboard operator for Oakland so I have been at every single home game regular season and playoffs running the board.  In my opinion, the 2016 team may have been the best but the Whitehaven team was a little better that year. 2018 state championship team was very good and got the title.  I think the 2020 Pats are playing as well as the 2016 team did and are every bit as talented as that team overall.

In the beginning of this season I felt they were good but not great.   Improvements were coming along but slowly.   It seemed to me that after the Warren County game things "clicked " for these guys and all the hard work from coaches and players really started paying off.  Each playoff game they have become a more cohesive unit.  Now they are very very good.   They play smart and they play hard and have great coaches showing them the way.  All three phases are excellent.   I think it will take a herculean effort from Brentwood for them to win however that's why they play the game.   

Can't wait until Saturday night to see how things work out. It'll be nice to be a pure spectator and not have to punch a hundred buttons after every stinking play.  Go Pats!

Great post 

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Most all of Oakland’s players come from private schools? From just an outsider perspective, it seems to me that Oakland has taken up the mantle where Riverdale left off in the 90s and early 2000s. Back then all the great players in the Boro were going to Riverdale, and now they’re going to Oakland. Maryville is now having to deal with what OR had to deal with back then in Riverdale with Oakland. Is that a fairly accurate assessment?Congratulations BTW.

I am not sure about that. Oakland won 5A state championships in 1998 and 2008. And if Oakland is getting all the good players in Ruco now, Maryville has dealt much better with Oakland with 5 wins.

tee hee hee

Blythe's Little Admirers

10 hours ago, BullyDog said:

Maryville is a GREAT Team nothing to be ashamed of.  The winningest high school football program in the state of Tennessee.  There is not one team in this state that wouldn't love to have Maryville's record and championships.  It is not easy to do what you guys do year after year.  That is why you guys have that bullseye on your backs.  Be proud!!  Most Maryville fans are great and show class in defeat just like y'alls football team!  Yes every player wants to win, you guys have had great coaching, teaching these young men to show respect when they get beat.  Life's lessons seldom taught in school these days!!  Maryville will be back whether everybody wants to admit it or not, they know it!!  Things change and things will change again.  Looks like to me this will be a great rivalry!  Congrats to Maryville's on a great season and Congrats to Oakland on a great win!!

A most excellent post. 

tee hee hee

6 minutes ago, MarevulBigGal said:

I am not sure about that. Oakland won 5A state championships in 1998 and 2008. And if Oakland is getting all the good players in Ruco now, Maryville has dealt much better with Oakland with 5 wins.

tee hee hee

Blythe's Little Admirers

Maryville has done a good job against them, barring this year and 2018. I will agree with that.

3 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Maryville has done a good job against them, barring this year and 2018. I will agree with that.

If they (Oakland) are getting all the great players in Ruco with that talent base, in a county triple the size of Blount county and to lead the series against them is quite an accomplishment.

tee hee hee

11 hours ago, rollnoles said:

Lol true and went and watched Farragut and Oak Ridge play this year and after that game never thought Oak Ridge would get this far would have lost money if I bet on it

11 hours ago, SweetScience said:

We always look like a$& against Farragut, so that’s nothing new. Moving #2 to safety after that game really improved our defense. I agree with ya though.

I never count Coach Gaddis out (or#14); his teams WILL get stronger as the season progresses. That game was also much closer than the score... convert on a couple of missed red zone opportunities by OR and that is a different game... a wide open dig route drop would have resulted in a sure first and goal inside the 5 if not a TD. Neither team could stop the other. However, the OR defense is a completely different animal at this point - flying around and getting after it. The DL doesn’t even look like the same group of kids that started the year as far as technique and motor. #55 is playing like a man possessed and has been a bear for OL to handle. Energy like that has a tendency to get contagious.

As far as the Maryville - Oakland game, I sure didn’t see that margin coming. Sometimes things just snowball with momentum in a big game. However, I would submit anyone celebrating that outcome must not have Maryville on the schedule next season. I am quite certain the players and coaching staff now have even greater motivation to come back and take it to another level next year - there will be some new material on the bulletin board I’ll bet.

The comparisons between McGill and players that preceded him or from other programs are unfortunate, particularly when one considers how incredibly well he has performed... even when other players were not available to play for whatever reason. He is an outstanding player and a very tough and durable player from what I have observed. I can’t think of a single program where he wouldn’t have been a big contributor and I can’t think of a single program that wouldn’t  jump at the chance to have him.

Edited by Former44

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Most all of Oakland’s players come from private schools? From just an outsider perspective, it seems to me that Oakland has taken up the mantle where Riverdale left off in the 90s and early 2000s. Back then all the great players in the Boro were going to Riverdale, and now they’re going to Oakland. Maryville is now having to deal with what OR had to deal with back then in Riverdale with Oakland. Is that a fairly accurate assessment?Congratulations BTW.

Slip of the tongue, apologies. Most of Oakland's high profile transfers have come from private schools. Key difference now versus then is there is some really good talent at other boro schools. Unfortunately for them, Oakland has a staff that coaches circles around them. Creasy deserves alot of the praise, but in my biased opinion, Stephen Jackson is one of (if not the best) DC's in the state.

Gotta win a game at the Black Hole before I'll compare it to the Rankin Era but a big chunk of this team returns, so I'll like our chances better than I did in '17 or '19. Thanks for the well wishes, it never gets old beating a great program like Maryville that does things the right way

8 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Slip of the tongue, apologies. Most of Oakland's high profile transfers have come from private schools. Key difference now versus then is there is some really good talent at other boro schools. Unfortunately for them, Oakland has a staff that coaches circles around them. Creasy deserves alot of the praise, but in my biased opinion, Stephen Jackson is one of (if not the best) DC's in the state.

Gotta win a game at the Black Hole before I'll compare it to the Rankin Era but a big chunk of this team returns, so I'll like our chances better than I did in '17 or '19. Thanks for the well wishes, it never gets old beating a great program like Maryville that does things the right way

MidTennFootball congratulations. Hopefully we will be a little more representative next time.

tee hee hee

3 hours ago, StarBright87 said:

I picked Oakland to win it all, must admit you had me nervous a little when you said this Oakland team wasn't as good as previous year's and I couldn't argue with you because you have actually seen them play and I haven't. You honest opinion how do you think this year Oakland team would fair against the 16 and 18 squad 

Like ttitan27 said, this team has made pretty big strides in the playoffs. My biggest worry was because of no preseason, I wasnt sure Oakland would gel in time to beat Maryville. It wasn't until last week when Maryville had a tougher go of it than expected with DB that I felt they could hold serve at home.

Pertaining to your question, I do think you can draw alot of similarities to 2016 and 2020, hopefully the title game won't be one of them. 2016 probably had a pretty better qb, but Schlacter has done a great just of executing what has been asked of him. It's gonna be hard to top 2018 just because of the way they dominated 2 great teams in the last 2 games, but they hace a chance to do something 2018 never did: finish with a perfect season

• Thanks 1