Davidson vs USJ, Battle of the Ursidae vol. 4

Bellsburg2

In a repeat of last year's championship game, Davidson Academy and USJ will meet again in Cookeville. All involved are thankful for the 3:00 time slot this year. Davidson looks to bring home a 3rd consecutive gold ball and cap off an undefeated season that included a regular season win over USJ 31-9. They say it's hard to beat a good team twice, but Davidson found a way last year. Each of the last 3 meetings have seen the Bruins jump out to a first half lead, but the Bears have stayed their course and gone on to win each contest.

USJ looked to have a good game plan early on in the October meeting, but seemed to lose their compass after a couple of injuries and never could regain the momentum. Both teams have great size and experience in the trenches, both have balanced offensive attacks. The RB Swinea, certain to be named Mr. Football, has undoubtedly been the difference in the last 2 contests. Will USJ find an answer to contain the ground game? Will we see some new wrinkles from the Bruins offense? 

• 2 weeks later...

DA is as big, fast, and athletic as most teams as I've seen at all levels. Swinea is obviously a great player, but DA is far from a one trick pony. Great QB play and a punishing line. Jaylen Brockman is the best lineman I have seen all year. USJ has played well since the loss to DA in the regular season and has great players, too. I think this game will be much closer than the first game. 

I think this ends up being a close game as well.  If USJ keeps it close through 3 quarters, I think they have a chance to win it.  If DA wins I don’t think it will be by more than 10.  USJ is hungry and DA better be ready!   If USJ gets behind by two TD’s in the third I think DA will grind it out and use up the clock.  Good luck to both teams!

• Like 1

Davidson is a well oiled machine that is firing on all cylinders.  I just don't see anyone slowing them down.  They have only had double digits scored on them 4 times this year.  (once by FRA (28), twice by JC (10,20), and once by NC (14)). 

Their defense may be better than their offense, and their offense is incredible.  They can score any way they want.  They may be one of the top 10 teams in the state across all classifications and IMO they are even better than last year.  DA by 3 scores.  Even worse if Tabor can't play.

Edited by Bemisbasser

I agree I think DA is better than last year.  Nothing against the QB last year but this qb is the real deal.  On a one game battle they are one of the top 15 teams in the state.

Is 44 out for DA? 

The Bruins do not need to fall down early. The most important thing for USJ is to match their physicality because after the regular season game they left no doubt who won. Swinea enjoys playing against USj   I think he might have as many yards against us as Chase Hayden had during his time 

This is my 6th time to be in attendance  for a Bruins State Championship game and I am excited as ever.

USJ 28

DA 21

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, USJalum88 said:

I agree I think DA is better than last year.  Nothing against the QB last year but this qb is the real deal.  On a one game battle they are one of the top 15 teams in the state.

Is 44 out for DA? 

The Bruins do not need to fall down early. The most important thing for USJ is to match their physicality because after the regular season game they left no doubt who won. Swinea enjoys playing against USj   I think he might have as many yards against us as Chase Hayden had during his time 

This is my 6th time to be in attendance  for a Bruins State Championship game and I am excited as ever.

USJ 28

DA 21

44 is out. Blew his ACL against Jackson Christian. A freshman has stepped into his spot and has performed flawlessly.

1 hour ago, Kublah said:

Hope springs eternal! USJ will have to play their best game of the year to beat DA, and you never know they just might. We were missing a couple of horses last time who will be back in action. Just leave it all on the field! Good luck and safe travels to everyone! 

If it happens, it won't be the first time that Stroup & Co. beats a team that almost no one thinks they can...keep the faith and get your popcorn.:popcorneater:

• Upvote 1