Davidson vs USJ, Battle of the Ursidae vol. 4

Bellsburg2

You are correct that DA had no choice but to move up and they should be fine ultimately from a competitive standpoint. That may not be the case for next year as they lose 16 seniors that make up the bulk of their starters, so the timing is unfortunate.

The upper half of the A teams and lower half of AA teams have very similar enrollments, but they had to draw a line somewhere to keep 3 divisions. If you look at the numbers, the big jump really comes between all of the AA teams and LA/CPA/Webb. For reasons I can only imagine, they slid in under the cutoff and avoided the bump to the big leagues.

2 hours ago, Bellsburg2 said:

the big jump really comes between all of the AA teams and LA/CPA/Webb. For reasons I can only imagine, they slid in under the cutoff and avoided the bump to the big leagues.

The break for football is 530, right? CPA has been at 450 for years, there is a waiting list, only 8-10 new HS students get in a year. It’s the number they set as good prior to having anything to do with D2.  

Edited by BreadTruck28

I think he means the number set by TSSAA for the cut off. That number was chosen when Lipscomb had Coach Roller on the board and he was trying to protect Lipscomb from that upper bunch. The reality is that there should only be two classes and there is a very definite natural split around 400 if you look at the enrollment numbers. It would give the AAA schools 16 teams. 7 region games. They would only have to find 3 people to play them instead of the 5-6 it is currently. It would also lessen travel.

14 teams in AA. 12 teams in AAA. It is ridiculous to have 3 classes. To be honest it ought to be 5 for publics and 2 for privates. However I know it will never happen. Too many Karen schools.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 9:21 AM, Kublah said:

My 2 cents is that this year's DA team could have been in the mix in AA, though not last year's. CPA and Lipscomb both are a little bit better, but 2020 DA was that good. Frankly, when I was watching the 5A final last night I thought both DA and USJ could compete with those teams.

No way either of these teams stay within 3 scores of Oak Ridge or Summit!   

20 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I think he means the number set by TSSAA for the cut off. That number was chosen when Lipscomb had Coach Roller on the board and he was trying to protect Lipscomb from that upper bunch. The reality is that there should only be two classes and there is a very definite natural split around 400 if you look at the enrollment numbers. It would give the AAA schools 16 teams. 7 region games. They would only have to find 3 people to play them instead of the 5-6 it is currently. It would also lessen travel.

14 teams in AA. 12 teams in AAA. It is ridiculous to have 3 classes. To be honest it ought to be 5 for publics and 2 for privates. However I know it will never happen. Too many Karen schools.

It is a little silly to have 14 teams in AA and 12 teams in AAA but instead of looking at the number of teams you have to look at the enrollment numbers.  No way you can have 130 enrollment schools playing 350 enrollment schools

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

I agree, I wish there were only two classifications. But I do feel for the super small schools with 25 per class. I actually went to one, no football...

Edited by BreadTruck28