South Pittsburg vs Fayetteville (Grider against this Morson man)

Roy Dillard

34 minutes ago, tiger355 said:

The Tigers are always the underdogs and have never come on here talking a bunch of mess. Why would they start now? The Tigers will do what they do every week. They will prepare each day for the team they face on Friday. They will bring the most loyal group of fans you could ask for. They will leave it all on the field. These boys have faced challenges a whole lot harder than a championship game so don't expect them to be intimidated. They will walk in that stadium with no fear and do their job. They see and hear what people say but they don't need others to build them up. They are brothers and they build each other up everyday. They may not have a Mr Football on the team but we've had one before and that doesn't win State Championships. We are excited to come to Cookville and support our Tigers!! See you all Friday!

Well said. Congrats on a great year!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PFL30 said:

I’m agitated at the fact that all season it was “SP is gonna kill this team.” “SP is the best team in the state and this game won’t be close” and into the playoffs it was “SP is gonna kill Jo Byrns, they’ll beat up on Monterrey, they’ll go to gordonsville and win big, coalfield can’t handle SP.” and then the championship comes around and it’s like “well see I’m not sure about this one, it seems pretty darn even, SP is fast but Fayetteville may be able to match the speed and size. It’s gonna be really really close.” I’m not saying it can’t be really close but it’s like everyone hops in a shell come championship game time. That’s when everyone should be the most excited about their team winning. 

SP fell short against teams not nearly as talented in 2009 & 2011. I think most know what can happen on Friday but they also know what has happened in the past so they bite their tongue. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PFL30 said:

Then don’t hype up any other game. It’s embarrassing when the state championship gets the least hype and the most doubts. I’ve never seen an Alabama or Clemson fan scared of the national championship. They always assume they are gonna win big. Whether it happens or not is a different story. Yeah I’m new, I’m new to posting. I’ve read the threads for a long time now and decided to hop in the action. I’ve played in big games myself, and no player goes into it scared or worried or frightened. They all assume they are gonna win big, at least I did. Fans need to do the same. Players feed off of fans. Multiple players have texted me saying that they know it’s limited seating and it’s a big stadium but they need us to be there and be loud as ever because they thrive off of it. I’m gonna be the first one to be cocky, and the last to apologize for it. Fans should be. Fans should always say their team is gonna kill the other team, even if it doesn’t happen. You don’t look stupid, you look like a fan. 

We've almost got our own Maryann Madness

9 minutes ago, TonyHorton91281 said:

SP fell short against teams not nearly as talented in 2009 & 2011. I think most know what can happen on Friday but they also know what has happened in the past so they bite their tongue. 

Those teams themselves got too cocky. They went in not trying. That 2011 game especially. So many mistakes. They went out and immediately didn’t seem like the heart was all there. 2013 as well, coach Moore really wasn’t a leader and the team struggled with leadership. They got flat outplayed. They may have had all the heart in the world but from the tv screen and being in the stands those 2 years, it didn’t seem like it. 

1 hour ago, Roy Dillard said:

RLH  I will be with Murphy all weekend.  He always gets me a pass.  We talk about his book and next years book to.  You think im joking but im not. 

I told them Greenback fellas that you are moving to Coalbucket.  They will be looking for you over there.

5 minutes ago, PFL30 said:

Those teams themselves got too cocky. They went in not trying. That 2011 game especially. So many mistakes. They went out and immediately didn’t seem like the heart was all there. 2013 as well, coach Moore really wasn’t a leader and the team struggled with leadership. They got flat outplayed. They may have had all the heart in the world but from the tv screen and being in the stands those 2 years, it didn’t seem like it. 

I agree on all those teams being over confident but the 2013 Union City was a lot more talented that the UC team in 2009 and Wayne in 2011. Those teams we were both heavy favorites in and lost. Both teams kept us off the field and grinded it out. Both years I felt like the best team lost.

In 2013 it didn’t help we didn’t have Lankford at full speed and our best OL was out for getting into a fight at Coalfield the week before but we got whipped up front in 2013 all night with out him by a really really good football team that went back to back in 13 & 14.

Having said all that I don’t see this game being very close IF we play like we can. That’s a big IF and don’t be fooled into believing our kids don’t read this stuff because they do. It wasn’t long ago that most of them still believed in Santa Clause so I think most people are just being reserved and hoping our kids stay focused and don’t get to over confident thinking they can just show up because we are South Pittsburg and Fayetteville is just gonna lay down because that will not happen. Kids get excited and think they have already won sometimes just by making it there. They still gotta stay locked in all week and then go out and prove they are the best. If the team plays like they can there will be a Gold Ball brought back to SP but we we still gotta go out and get it done.

7 minutes ago, TonyHorton91281 said:

I agree on all those teams being over confident but the 2013 Union City was a lot more talented that the UC team in 2009 and Wayne in 2011. Those teams we were both heavy favorites in and lost. Both teams kept us off the field and grinded it out. Both years I felt like the best team lost.

In 2013 it didn’t help we didn’t have Lankford at full speed and our best OL was out for getting into a fight at Coalfield the week before but we got whipped up front in 2013 all night with out him by a really really good football team that went back to back in 13 & 14.

Having said all that I don’t see this game being very close IF we play like we can. That’s a big IF and don’t be fooled into believing our kids don’t read this stuff because they do. It wasn’t long ago that most of them still believed in Santa Clause so I think most people are just being reserved and hoping our kids stay focused and don’t get to over confident thinking they can just show up because we are South Pittsburg and Fayetteville is just gonna lay down because that will not happen. Kids get excited and think they have already won sometimes just by making it there. They still gotta stay locked in all week and then go out and prove they are the best. If the team plays like they can there will be a Gold Ball brought back to SP but we we still gotta go out and get it done.

My biggest problem is why sit back now. I go back and read past threads and there was no lack of people guaranteeing wins. Blowout wins. And here comes state and it’s like no one is confident anymore. So many people were confident about last week, but the senior class had never won a semi game before. So many were confident about gordonsville but this senior class got beat in the quarters in 2018. So why the lack of confidence now?

2 minutes ago, PFL30 said:

My biggest problem is why sit back now. I go back and read past threads and there was no lack of people guaranteeing wins. Blowout wins. And here comes state and it’s like no one is confident anymore. So many people were confident about last week, but the senior class had never won a semi game before. So many were confident about gordonsville but this senior class got beat in the quarters in 2018. So why the lack of confidence now?

It's about being confident against who you play. You have to see that Fayetteville has talented kids. Do I think we will win it all? Yes. But I'm not going to give teams extra motivation that's just stupid. This senior class lost to GB twice and Whitwell once. All went on to the dance. I'll call blowouts against the Lookout Valleys and Sale Creeks but will always respect an opponent that has talent. As Tony said, kids read this stuff and you are feeding into their ego. You come in with a big ego and you get humbled quickly. Everyone has their own opinions on how the game will go but just because not everyone is on here saying we're going to win by 35 doesn't mean we doubt the boys. 

8 minutes ago, powerp said:

It's about being confident against who you play. You have to see that Fayetteville has talented kids. Do I think we will win it all? Yes. But I'm not going to give teams extra motivation that's just stupid. This senior class lost to GB twice and Whitwell once. All went on to the dance. I'll call blowouts against the Lookout Valleys and Sale Creeks but will always respect an opponent that has talent. As Tony said, kids read this stuff and you are feeding into their ego. You come in with a big ego and you get humbled quickly. Everyone has their own opinions on how the game will go but just because not everyone is on here saying we're going to win by 35 doesn't mean we doubt the boys. 

I never said Fayetteville wasn’t good. I said we’re better and there is lots of doubt in this thread. The players deserve to see that their fans have pride in them. Otherwise they are guaranteed to lose. If they read these things, I don’t want them seeing doubt. Coach Grider, Waggoner and the whole crew are gonna tell them all week it’s gonna be a dog fight. I don’t think the fans should also be the ones to tell them what they should and shouldn’t do to do good. I think they wanna see the fans be supportive and show the pride they have in the school. So that’s what I’m doing. 

30 minutes ago, powerp said:

Ofc I’m a younger poster in here. Fairly new to posting and one thing I’ve noticed is that everyone has a different style. Some are cautious and some are fiery. I am definitely fiery. I am cocky, and I’m not afraid to say it. You can be when you are a fan of such a storied program. With that being said, I shouldn’t attack people’s ways of looking at the game. However, I do not understand why everyone was so confident in the coalfield game and not as much so this week? Our team didn’t change, in fact they’ll only get better with a week of practice. Fayetteville is good but as a fan I always believe that we can win big