South Pittsburg vs Fayetteville (Grider against this Morson man)

Roy Dillard

43 minutes ago, powerp said:

It's about being confident against who you play. You have to see that Fayetteville has talented kids. Do I think we will win it all? Yes. But I'm not going to give teams extra motivation that's just stupid. This senior class lost to GB twice and Whitwell once. All went on to the dance. I'll call blowouts against the Lookout Valleys and Sale Creeks but will always respect an opponent that has talent. As Tony said, kids read this stuff and you are feeding into their ego. You come in with a big ego and you get humbled quickly. Everyone has their own opinions on how the game will go but just because not everyone is on here saying we're going to win by 35 doesn't mean we doubt the boys. 

LRDAO....i garuntee you got our boys cocky in 2009 and 2011 and made that bowling man and rice man real mad.  You think im joking but im not. 

1 hour ago, tiger355 said:

Mr Football Finalist Brandon Moore

Ah yep that’s back when we mercy ruled y’all in the playoffs at our place.

31 minutes ago, PFL30 said:

I never said Fayetteville wasn’t good. I said we’re better and there is lots of doubt in this thread. The players deserve to see that their fans have pride in them. Otherwise they are guaranteed to lose. If they read these things, I don’t want them seeing doubt. Coach Grider, Waggoner and the whole crew are gonna tell them all week it’s gonna be a dog fight. I don’t think the fans should also be the ones to tell them what they should and shouldn’t do to do good. I think they wanna see the fans be supportive and show the pride they have in the school. So that’s what I’m doing. 

Being supportive doesn’t mean we have to tell the boys they will mercy rule a team.  We older folks have all played in big games and know that we feed off the crowd.  Don’t you worry, the crowd will be loud and proud come Friday.  However, we’ve also been so cocky and filled those kids heads up with cockiness, but then were shell shocked in a few big games.  The kids need to know they can win and can win big but being too cocky may bite them.  They need to know that they must give 100% effort and execute every play right, or they will lose.  Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with being cocky.  It helps you play better in some ways, until you get punched in the mouth, then you gotta rely on execution.  So it’s best to execute and be cocky afterwards.  It’s less of a chance of that punch in the mouth hurting so badly.  

• Like 1

@PFL30,  first of all, welcome to the T.

Secondly, since you stated you are new to the boards, but have been reading for a while before posting, let me remind you we see "new" folks every year this time of year. 

It's nothing new to most 'seasoned' posters to see newbies predicting large blowouts come playoff time on here and even state title game threads.  And most will tell you those type posters usually disappear as fast as they arrived.

Take some friendly advice that's already been offered.  It's the state title game.  Respect your opponent.  They've earned it.  This game isn't just another one of our region games.  Its THE GAME.  So reel yourself in a little bit. 

Now, If ya wanna talk a big game then fine, do so.  But do so ALL season.  Every game.  Like Me Legit.  Don't just show up on championship game thread week.  And for goodness sake,  don't think for a moment that these Pirate posters in here are anything but confident.  We just carry our confidence and swagger a bit more refined.  

Lastly, and most importantly,  GO PIRATES!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

@PFL30,  first of all, welcome to the T.

Secondly, since you stated you are new to the boards, but have been reading for a while before posting, let me remind you we see "new" folks every year this time of year. 

It's nothing new to most 'seasoned' posters to see newbies predicting large blowouts come playoff time on here and even state title game threads.  And most will tell you those type posters usually disappear as fast as they arrived.

Take some friendly advice that's already been offered.  It's the state title game.  Respect your opponent.  They've earned it.  This game isn't just another one of our region games.  Its THE GAME.  So reel yourself in a little bit. 

Now, If ya wanna talk a big game then fine, do so.  But do so ALL season.  Every game.  Like Me Legit.  Don't just show up on championship game thread week.  And for goodness sake,  don't think for a moment that these Pirate posters in here are anything but confident.  We just carry our confidence and swagger a bit more refined.  

Lastly, and most importantly,  GO PIRATES!

Thanks! I’ve been reading for a couple years and just never created an account to post. I plan on being here for a long time, as long as the good Lord lets me. You’re right, I’m very cocky and I really should calm down but it is very hard lol. I respect Fayetteville but I also know what this team is capable of. Finally a game that Hunter and Gio and the rest of the starters get to play all of. It’s exciting for sure and I can be really quick to get ahead of myself, it’s gotten me before but I don’t see it happening this time. 

5 hours ago, piratetom said:

They have continued to get better all year and are playing great football right now.

I've seen them play a few times and early in the season they hadn't reached their full potential mainly because of conditioning. Against Meigs Co they were wore down. I blame that on the big layoff they had coming into that game and it being early in the season. As the season has progressed, you can tell how much better they have gotten just from game reps. My question tho is this.... how do you think these lineman stack up compared to the likes of Silvey? Not sure what grade 75 is in but he is pretty close IMO. I saw he has offers from UT and Ole Miss. Short offer list so far but that's as solid as it comes in 1A. 

38 minutes ago, PFL30 said:

Thanks! I’ve been reading for a couple years and just never created an account to post. I plan on being here for a long time, as long as the good Lord lets me. You’re right, I’m very cocky and I really should calm down but it is very hard lol. I respect Fayetteville but I also know what this team is capable of. Finally a game that Hunter and Gio and the rest of the starters get to play all of. It’s exciting for sure and I can be really quick to get ahead of myself, it’s gotten me before but I don’t see it happening this time. 

The team with the lowest score is going home with a Silver Ball.  There are 42 other teams that would like to be in their place Friday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cherokee23 said:

I've seen them play a few times and early in the season they hadn't reached their full potential mainly because of conditioning. Against Meigs Co they were wore down. I blame that on the big layoff they had coming into that game and it being early in the season. As the season has progressed, you can tell how much better they have gotten just from game reps. My question tho is this.... how do you think these lineman stack up compared to the likes of Silvey? Not sure what grade 75 is in but he is pretty close IMO. I saw he has offers from UT and Ole Miss. Short offer list so far but that's as solid as it comes in 1A. 

75 and 57 are juniors.

3 minutes ago, rlh said:

The team with the lowest score is going home with a Silver Ball.  There are 42 other teams that would like to be in their place Friday.

From watching both teams play, I think we can score more if it ended up being a shootout. I think we could get the 1-2 extra stops easier than they could. 

1 hour ago, PFL30 said:

Ofc I’m a younger poster in here. Fairly new to posting and one thing I’ve noticed is that everyone has a different style. Some are cautious and some are fiery. I am definitely fiery. I am cocky, and I’m not afraid to say it. You can be when you are a fan of such a storied program. With that being said, I shouldn’t attack people’s ways of looking at the game. However, I do not understand why everyone was so confident in the coalfield game and not as much so this week? Our team didn’t change, in fact they’ll only get better with a week of practice. Fayetteville is good but as a fan I always believe that we can win big 

Fayetteville has 5X more talent than Coalfield. No offense to Coalfield but our entire fan base could have logged on here last week and everyone could’ve said we would lose. Our coaches could’ve also told the players that they was gonna lose and then we still would’ve went and blown out Coalfield. The gap was that wide. It was boys vs men Friday night. There is still a gap imo this week no doubt but it’s comparing apples to oranges when comparing Fayetteville’s talent to Coalfield.  Just because fans aren’t mouthing off on coachT calling for a mercy rule doesn’t mean people aren’t confident. I think most on here have been around long enough to realize that our team and our past teams have always played better when they have played with a chip on their shoulder. 

26 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

This defensive line especially at DT is likely the most overall talented the program has even seen. Scary part is 3 of the 4 that rotate are back next season. Now DE after this season will have some growing up to do next year after losing Pittman last year and Allen & Cagle this year. Gio Davis though is a 6’5 285 version of Silvy which is why he has D1 offers. When he plays mad it’s over. Consistency is his biggest challenge going into next season. 

Edited by TonyHorton91281

4 minutes ago, TonyHorton91281 said:

Fayetteville has 5X more talent than Coalfield. No offense to Coalfield but our entire fan base could have logged on here last week and everyone could’ve said we would lose. Our coaches could’ve also told the players that they was gonna lose and then we still would’ve went and blown out Coalfield. The gap was that wide. It was boys vs men Friday night. There is still a gap imo this week no doubt but it’s comparing apples to oranges when comparing Fayetteville’s talent to Coalfield.  Just because fans aren’t mouthing off on coachT calling for a mercy rule doesn’t mean people aren’t confident. I think most on here have been around long enough to realize that our team and our past teams have always played better when they have played with a chip on their shoulder. 

Agree. In the 2 appearances I made at state, we were confident and definitely not afraid. In both instances, we were blew out both games. There was just a talent gap. I believe it is the same this time. Fayetteville I'm sure will be confident coming into the game but there's still a talent gap between these two teams. Also, Grider has been in this position before which will help SP prepare for everything they're going to face leading up to the game and keeping the players ready and focused. There's a big difference in being there the first time and knowing what to expect the next time you are there.

• Like 1