Milan vs Alcoa 3A State Championship

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Someone asked me what I thought it would take to beat Alcoa.  Told them to look back at the last 3A team to beat Alcoa. That would be CPA 6 championship games ago. Can’t turn the ball over. Also have to be able to run the ball some and shorten the game by keeping the clock running. CPA had no pass attempts in that game. I think Milan may can use the play action a couple of times and pick their spots like they did last night but have to be able to run the ball some. Defense will have to continue what they have been doing all year and probably save their best game for last. CPA won that game 7-0.  That’s the type of game Milan will have to play. Not saying it will be a 7-0 game but the type game we had with Covington is very possible. 14-7 type game. I think if Alcoa gets 3 scores or more Milan will have a hard time. Regardless you can do this Dawgs!!!!

Nix is the DC.  Sweetland is the OC.  The schemes are Gary Rankin’s.  

Some years Alcoa has been an even front defense.  Some years they have been an odd front defense.  Some years they are a hybrid team with the ability to play an odd front but create an even front out of it by dropping an OLB from one side and walking the other up on the line like a DE.  Alcoa’s coaching staff’s ability to build their defensive scheme to fit their personnel is something that is overlooked every single year.  

Offensively Alcoa is very vanilla.  They’ve always been vanilla offensively under Rankin.  It is kind of crazy because they were not a “vanilla” offensive team under John Reid in 2003, 2004, and 2005.  They were one of the first teams in the state that really had big success throwing the football during that time.  

Alcoa’s philosophy will be to play dominant defense to to manage the game and control the football offensively.  

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Someone asked me what I thought it would take to beat Alcoa.  Told them to look back at the last 3A team to beat Alcoa. That would be CPA 6 championship games ago. Can’t turn the ball over. Also have to be able to run the ball some and shorten the game by keeping the clock running. CPA had no pass attempts in that game. I think Milan may can use the play action a couple of times and pick their spots like they did last night but have to be able to run the ball some. Defense will have to continue what they have been doing all year and probably save their best game for last. CPA won that game 7-0.  That’s the type of game Milan will have to play. Not saying it will be a 7-0 game but the type game we had with Covington is very possible. 14-7 type game. I think if Alcoa gets 3 scores or more Milan will have a hard time. Regardless you can do this Dawgs!!!!

In 2014 CPA beat a first time starting QB in a 7-0 game that featured a phantom holding penalty at the end of the game that really handed a state title to CPA.  Alcoa ran over CPA in 2013 and 2015 and did so decisively.  The two games against Covington in 2017 and 2018 are much better barometers for Milan to go off of honestly.  The 2016 game against Liberty was close for a half but Alcoa imposed their will in the second half to pull away.  The same thing happened in the 2008 and 2009 games against Milan.  The 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2010 games against Goodpasture were like the 2019 game against Pearl-Cohn.  They were all colossal mismatches.  My favorite game is still the 2004 game against Huntingdon.  That game was a track meet and Huntingdon led it 41-26 early in the 3rd and then Alcoa took over the rest of the night.  

Just now, howdoitknow said:

In 2014 CPA beat a first time starting QB in a 7-0 game that featured a phantom holding penalty at the end of the game that really handed a state title to CPA.  Alcoa ran over CPA in 2013 and 2015 and did so decisively.  The two games against Covington in 2017 and 2018 are much better barometers for Milan to go off of honestly.  The 2016 game against Liberty was close for a half but Alcoa imposed their will in the second half to pull away.  The same thing happened in the 2008 and 2009 games against Milan.  The 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2010 games against Goodpasture were like the 2019 game against Pearl-Cohn.  They were all colossal mismatches.  My favorite game is still the 2004 game against Huntingdon.  That game was a track meet and Huntingdon led it 41-26 early in the 3rd and then Alcoa took over the rest of the night.  

I don’t think the games against Covington are better barometers cause Covington didn’t win. Yes they kept it close but the goal is not to keep it close. Someone asked me what it would take to win. I said look at the the last team to do it and you have your recipe for success. 

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t think the games against Covington are better barometers cause Covington didn’t win. Yes they kept it close but the goal is not to keep it close. Someone asked me what it would take to win. I said look at the the last team to do it and you have your recipe for success. 

The 2017 Covington game was lost on a botched trick play.  I think it was a reverse pass that was fumbled for a TD by Alcoa.  The 2018 Covington game came down to the final 13 seconds of the game.  It was a great game.  

17 hours ago, Roy Dillard said:

Lets go tornado.  Beat the Jackson all stars.  You think im joking but im not. 

get over it ...T$$AA investigated Milan and found nothing....take a look at the east TN all star team...most Alcoa players have to use their GPS to know how to get to the school...last time Milan played the University of Alcoa their starting QB lived in Knoxville...his parents admitted it...you think im joking but im not....

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Rooting for you all BPM!

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

They were indeed. I saw them both. 

In the 2018 game, I was surprised at the success that Covington QB Brock Lomax had throwing the ball. He threw a nice TD pass against Alcoa, and their DB's were called for pass interference several times. Just saying that Milan may want to throw the ball some to loosen up the defense.

• Upvote 1

See this will be Milan’s 10th trip to the title game. I believe that is the most of any team from West TN. We have 4 gold and 5 silver balls. I know that it is far less than Alcoa’s but I am proud of our history and tradition. Is there a team in west TN that has been more that I am not thinking about??

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE