Playoffs - 5A Championship - Oak Ridge vs Summit

CardinalGrey

2 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

We need to mention one more player on defense and that is # 23. Very strong, quick, smart with a nose for the ball. Just a solid All State type player.

A blast from the past...back in 1991, Gallatin was also a big favorite to beat Oak Ridge in the AAA State Championship game. People saw we let Central score 41 points on us in the semifinals and figured the Green Wave would also run up the score. WRONG! Central was just a darn good team and Oak Ride held GHS to just 3 points.

Gallatin was a really good team that year but they didn’t have near the firepower of that Central team. Oak Ridge and Central were the best 2 teams in the state that year with no disrespect to Gallatin. I was thinking OR shut Gallatin out that game but it may have been 3 points. 

3 hours ago, SweetScience said:

You’re welcome, my friend. Thanks for keeping it classy. You and 92Dragon are actually classy Clinton fans. And you’re right, #2 has arguably had an All State type season, no doubt.

You bet SS.  I was Clinton '72, and had a lot of OR friends, played in the OR tennis leagues back in the day.  My Dad took me to Blankenship for some big OR games in the mid-60's when Emmon Love played, so I appreciate the tradition.  I keep up with OR FB way out here in San Diego, usually go to a game when I come back to Tenn with my OR buddies.  This year not, because of Covid :(  Enjoy your posts, good football talk-- cheers!

1 hour ago, Opie Shaggnasty said:

Watchout calvol.Sweetscience has been downing clinton at every turn.This fake williethewildcatS is not the original williethewildcat either.Go summit.

Ok Opie, will do.  We did beat the Ridge in '71, so I'll keep that in my back pocket.  But we all know the reason Clinton FB went down, and that is the emergence of AC, which basically drained half the talent away.  Anyway, I just like good HS FB, glad the county is represented in the State finals, especially when UT is so bad this year. 

1 hour ago, Opie Shaggnasty said:

Watchout calvol.Sweetscience has been downing clinton at every turn.This fake williethewildcatS is not the original williethewildcat either.Go summit.

Who the heck would want to be me? LOL. Plus, how could I make up a fake name and give myself the same number of posts and + points? No, this is me, really me, loser, warts and all.  :thumb:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RCfan said:

Gallatin was a really good team that year but they didn’t have near the firepower of that Central team. Oak Ridge and Central were the best 2 teams in the state that year with no disrespect to Gallatin. I was thinking OR shut Gallatin out that game but it may have been 3 points. 

You are right that OR shut out the nationally ranked Gallatin Green Wave in 1991. I was there, rode the John Clark Booster Bus.

Ummmm, would the REAL WtW make this mistake???

The Oak Ridge offense will have to play as good as they did vs West which would be hard to do.Even though this Oak Ridge defense has been good I think we need 30 plus pts to win this game.The Summit QB is just a different animal from anything we have faced this year.Really is the worst matchup for how we play.Main thing on offense is can we just be decent upfront after getting ran through by the SD Dline.Can the defense keep the QB under 250 all purpose yards.Seems to me that Miner defenses has struggled in the past with duel threat QBs and Wade is one of best Ive seen in high school