Playoffs - 5A Championship - Oak Ridge vs Summit

CardinalGrey

GAME ASSESSMENT (no report card this week)....I say this meaning no disrespect to the OR offensive and defensive linemen who were undersized and depleted due to injuries BUT congratulations to OR for somehow making to the championship game with linemen vastly physically inferior to most of the teams OR played along the way (and somehow beat many of them)! The OR linemen play with lots of heart and have earned my respect but were no match physically to DB, Farragut, West, Powell, Rhea County, South Doyle, and Summit. I'm not sure how this team made it to Cookeville but I loved watching them do it!

2 hours ago, catswild said:

GAME ASSESSMENT (no report card this week)....I say this meaning no disrespect to the OR offensive and defensive linemen who were undersized and depleted due to injuries BUT congratulations to OR for somehow making to the championship game with linemen vastly physically inferior to most of the teams OR played along the way (and somehow beat many of them)! The OR linemen play with lots of heart and have earned my respect but were no match physically to DB, Farragut, West, Powell, Rhea County, South Doyle, and Summit. I'm not sure how this team made it to Cookeville but I loved watching them do it!

Spot on.  We played well enough when we had to.  A big key for our success was the play of Ty Hersch on the D line.  As far as the championship game went, I thought the interior of the Summit Oline just owned us all night long.  Our O-line didn't far much better.   I loved how we competed in our win and final game. 

I really didn't have a beef with the refs.  Summit played very aggressive and crossed over the line pretty often.  I thought No. 9 watched too much arena football growing up.  Without the offensive penalties the score would have been worse.

Very pleased with our season.  Our players and coaches rose to the occasion and made it a special one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boyfromsi said:

Spot on.  We played well enough when we had to.  A big key for our success was the play of Ty Hersch on the D line.  As far as the championship game went, I thought the interior of the Summit Oline just owned us all night long.  Our O-line didn't far much better.   I loved how we competed in our win and final game. 

I really didn't have a beef with the refs.  Summit played very aggressive and crossed over the line pretty often.  I thought No. 9 watched too much arena football growing up.  Without the offensive penalties the score would have been worse.

Very pleased with our season.  Our players and coaches rose to the occasion and made it a special one. 

Totally agree!

To win this game the Oak RIdge offense had to control the ball and keep the Summit offense off the field and keep the Oak Ridge defense rested. That did not happen, early 3 and outs and long drives by Summit for scores to go up 21-0 was too much. Great talent in the Wade brothers, both sides of the ball, they were definately a big difference maker.  Having watched Oak RIdge all year long, this was not one of their better games, the talent on the other side had some effect on that, but they certainly did not play as good as they did against West and Powell. I have to give a lot of credit to Coach Gaddis and staff for getting this team as far as it got, injuries to the offensive line during the season made it hard for them to run the ball on the better teams on the schedule, making them much too reliant on throwing the ball, The defense was very good, because of good coaching and each player learning their positions and giving help as needed, They were a smart defense, but against the talented Wade, they were simply beat at times by his athleticism and having to make a run/pass decision and then guessing wrong and he runs for 40 yards or throws over the top. I hated to see them give up the pick 6 in the 4th quarter, 21-7 would sound better, although still a loss. Summit played very well, except for some penalties, and deserved the win.

Oak Ridge now has a major rebuilding job, there are some good players back, but they lost a bunch of really good seniors both as football players and just good guys that played hard and wanted to win,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...