Playoffs - 5A Championship - Oak Ridge vs Summit

CardinalGrey

The OR offense sputtered all game long, and frankly it has been an issue all year long. It’s hard to believe we made it as far as we did with how mediocre our run game was all year. That’s a testament to how good our D was throughout the year. I knew tonight with all of the talent Summit has that we wouldn’t be able to sputter on O like we have on so many occasions this year, because you knew Summit would get theirs, us having a good D or not.

Honestly, I feel we caught West off-guard going 5 wide all night in that quarterfinals matchup. I think if they had of had time to prepare for it, they more than likely would’ve beaten us, but we did catch them off guard, so gotta give our coaches credit there. Regardless, it’s still quite an accomplishment for us to have made it as far as we did. Anybody who knows me on here knows I’m not a homer and don’t sugarcoat things, and just tell it like it is, although I do have a deep passion for OR football and always will. A great season for the Cats, regardless of tonight’s outcome, and every single one of those kids should be proud of what they accomplished on the field of play this season. 

Edited by SweetScience

28 minutes ago, FBKarma said:

So I guess the real championship game was last week vs Henry Co?  Summit owned this from start to finish.

I hurt some Oak Ridge and Henry Co feelings when I said Summit had an easy path to a gold ball after beating Beech in the quarters. Turns out it was true. Summit won the state at Shackle Island Stadium on Nov 20 when they scored with 27 seconds left to beat my Bucs. Their semi and final games were cake walks. Turns out my comment wasn’t so “dumb” and I wasn’t talking out of my “you know what” after all. Congratulations to the Spartans on a great year. Nice to have the 5A gold ball back in middle TN. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

The OR offense sputtered all game long, and frankly it has been an issue all year long. It’s hard to believe we made it as far as we did with how mediocre our run game was all year. That’s a testament to how good our D was throughout the year. I knew tonight with all of the talent Summit has that we wouldn’t be able to sputter on O like we have on so many occasions this year, because you knew Summit would get theirs, us having a good D or not.

Honestly, I feel we caught West off-guard going 5 wide all night in that quarterfinals matchup. I think if they had of had time to prepare for it, they more than likely would’ve beaten us, but we did catch them off guard, so gotta give our coaches credit there. Regardless, it’s still quite an accomplishment for us to have made it as far as we did. Anybody who knows me on here knows I’m not a homer and don’t sugarcoat things, and just tell it like it is, although I do have a deep passion for OR football and always will. A great season for the Cats, regardless of tonight’s outcome, and every single one of those kids should be proud of what they accomplished on the field of play this season.

You guys had a great season, SS. I don't think too many people thought OR would end up representing the east in Cookeville, but you earned it. That win over Powell was huge too, because it definitely made for an easier road to the quarters/semis. Summit was just the better team, and there is no shame in giving credit where credit is due.

OR certainly has some athletes, as always, but it just feels like there is something missing. I hate blaming it on coaching, but when I've watched OR the past few seasons, I just have no idea what your identity is. It feels like you guys are wasting so much of that skill position talent. You guys would thrive by getting your athletes in space (like what you did versus West a few weeks ago), but I don't think that is Gaddis' offensive forte. He strikes me as the "death by a thousand paper cuts" mold of coach.

The good news is that you guys have a young team, and I expect OR and Powell will have one heck of a showdown next season!

Edited by osunut2
  • Like 1