Transfers

lakecounty1968

I wish the TSSAA would take a hard look at the transfer rule. IMO if a child transfer that child should sit out one calendar year. That goes for any transfer to any school. It creates unfair advantage to the schools. In yesterday's championship games how many teams had transfers. Imo a school should win or lose with the jimmies and Joe's they have. I know this is unpopular opinion. This rule alone help with some of the competitive advantages. Sure the schools that are always good will be that but the schools that lose these kids would also may be able to compete. If a kid wants to transfer set out the year and lose 1 year eligibility. If that moves means that much then so be it. Don't you give me this school has a class that I can't get at my old school. That's is just a loop hold. I am not knocking any team that gets transfer but some are away over the top. I have a question for the So. Pitt people. Without getting mad and throwing insults how many transfers did So. Pitt start in the 1A game yesterday. The same question to Fayetteville? Lake County has received 3 transfers in 25 years. I think a town or county would be more proud winning with kids born and raised in that town instead of having 3 or 4 transfer every year to have to make the difference. Again, this is no slight on anyone just thought it would be interesting conversation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

I wish the TSSAA would take a hard look at the transfer rule. IMO if a child transfer that child should sit out one calendar year. That goes for any transfer to any school. It creates unfair advantage to the schools. In yesterday's championship games how many teams had transfers. Imo a school should win or lose with the jimmies and Joe's they have. I know this is unpopular opinion. This rule alone help with some of the competitive advantages. Sure the schools that are always good will be that but the schools that lose these kids would also may be able to compete. If a kid wants to transfer set out the year and lose 1 year eligibility. If that moves means that much then so be it. Don't you give me this school has a class that I can't get at my old school. That's is just a loop hold. I am not knocking any team that gets transfer but some are away over the top. I have a question for the So. Pitt people. Without getting mad and throwing insults how many transfers did So. Pitt start in the 1A game yesterday. The same question to Fayetteville? Lake County has received 3 transfers in 25 years. I think a town or county would be more proud winning with kids born and raised in that town instead of having 3 or 4 transfer every year to have to make the difference. Again, this is no slight on anyone just thought it would be interesting conversation.

Agreed!...unless mom or dad gets a new job and moves, stay where you are and show some darn resolve and overcome whatever adversity is in your way, I have never cared for switching schools for sports purposes, private schools included!

10 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Don't care what the rules are,   people find away around them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Fayetteville had several, they also all sat out a calendar year to be able to play. The sports are about the KIDS, not the schools. If they parents or kids feel better elsewhere LET THEM GO. They only to be in high school once, let’s not overthink this 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Snowballschance said:

Fayetteville had several, they also all sat out a calendar year to be able to play. The sports are about the KIDS, not the schools. If they parents or kids feel better elsewhere LET THEM GO. They only to be in high school once, let’s not overthink this 

I’m in the middle of this discussion, but I have no fault in a kid wanting to play for a program that will get them a better experience or even the school part

Each transfer that was at City this year went to a city elementary school and middle school.  They also played youth ball together thru 6th grade.  9th grade they chose to go to Lincoln County. One didnt play his jr year at all so he was eligible as soon as he came back to City as a senior.  He actually went to county to get away from a certain coach at city and that coach ends up at county wich as why he quit playing.  There was an incident between a coach and player at county last year that resulted in these transfers quitting at the end of the season.  The incident did not involve any of these transfers but was serious enough the coach was let go.  I was told City coach told them not come because it was their senior year and would not be able to play until late in the season.  They all sat out a full calendar year, 365 days, before they were allowed to play.  Been wanting to clear the air about the transfer thing with City for a while.  From the outside I see how it may look but this situation was just these kids coming back home to play with basically the team they grew up playing with.  Sorry for the long post!

• Like 1

Not over thinking it all. It happens way too much in Tennessee. I am not saying that is happening at Fayetteville but it does happen often with your traditional powerhouse programs. If it wasn't about sports then I get it but some of these schools use it to become football factories. It is a real problem that needs to be addressed. I get you have some academic reasons but those are few are far between. If schools would play with their own Jimmies and Jo's alot of these things would work themselves out. Parents sometimes need to leave their pride aside. It is a nice debate to have. I would like to know how transfers have knocked a kid who would of other wise starter. Take transfers out and I think you would see different schools playing for state titles than the same every year. It is just opinion. May be right. May be wrong but it is a good debate. If a kid sits out a calendar year then he would be eligible.

Edited by lakecounty1968

16 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Not over thinking it all. It happens way too much in Tennessee. I am not saying that is happening at Fayetteville but it does happen often with your traditional powerhouse programs. If it wasn't about sports then I get it but some of these schools use it to become football factories. It is a real problem that needs to be addressed. I get you have some academic reasons but those are few are far between. If schools would play with their own Jimmies and Jo's alot of these things would work themselves out. Parents sometimes need to leave their pride aside. It is a nice debate to have. I would like to know how transfers have knocked a kid who would of other wise starter. Take transfers out and I think you would see different schools playing for state titles than the same every year. It is just opinion. May be right. May be wrong but it is a good debate. If a kid sits out a calendar year then he would be eligible.

It happens in every state. No way to stop it without hurting kids who have to transfer. Lots of kids transfer and aren’t eligible for a year. 

I take the opposite approach and our program has been hit hard by transfers. Some programs are terrible. Some coaches are awful. No way should a player be tied to a terrible situation. If you want the kids to stay in your program make it better. Hire quality people; invest in your facilities and equipment.

During the 1A championship game the announcers talked about the Fayetteville Middle School’s success. They went 3 years undefeated in middle school play. They beat Forrest all three years in the championship game and they were the only team to beat Forrest during that span. Fayetteville has retained most of their players but Forrest lost several key players.. Two of our best players transferred and had very productive seasons for Cornersville and Summit this year. I wish them continued success next year in their senior seasons. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

I take the opposite approach and our program has been hit hard by transfers. Some programs are terrible. Some coaches are awful. No way should a player be tied to a terrible situation. If you want the kids to stay in your program make it better. Hire quality people; invest in your facilities and equipment.

During the 1A championship game the announcers talked about the Fayetteville Middle School’s success. They went 3 years undefeated in middle school play. They beat Forrest all three years in the championship game and they were the only team to beat Forrest during that span. Fayetteville has retained most of their players but Forrest lost several key players.. Two of our best players transferred and had very productive seasons for Cornersville and Summit this year. I wish them continued success next year in their senior seasons. 

The senior bunch for South Pittsburg went undefeated in football in middle school won all 3 years and baseball and also basketball too. That’s one reason everybody thought they would won the state when they got in high school and look what happened. Good bunch of kids but something didn’t click??

34 minutes ago, Bushog02 said:

The senior bunch for South Pittsburg went undefeated in football in middle school won all 3 years and baseball and also basketball too. That’s one reason everybody thought they would won the state when they got in high school and look what happened. Good bunch of kids but something didn’t click??

Heck our middle school program has been a dominant force for years. Doesn’t always translate to high school.