Transfers

lakecounty1968

9 minutes ago, Salem said:

Depends on who you’re playing. I can go back here over the last 20 years here and predict our high school success by how the kids did in the junior pro league. 

Our middle school is typically in the small school division but almost always plays up. We went 136-24 over a 16 year span and made it to 11 of the 16 playoff championship games and won 9 of them with Coach Sexton there. Last year was his final season. 

Edited by crow

3 hours ago, Tide21 said:

It happens in every state. No way to stop it without hurting kids who have to transfer. Lots of kids transfer and aren’t eligible for a year. 

This man gets it! School sports are useful in the development of children into adults... they teach that discipline, preparation, and hard work equal success. They create an atmosphere where young, impressionable people are provided with positive role models to emulate, and supply them with a time consuming outlet for their endless energy that could otherwise be "replaced" by bad influences or idle time and less than ideal pursuits. The main focus of Tide21's post is that sports are for the kids, not for us fans, and not for the purpose of winning trophies. I totally understand the transfer rules as they stand, and agree that if there were no consequences for moving that it would be rampant (refer to Memphis), but adding any additional restrictions that make it harder for kids to enjoy sports would only hurt the ones who have little or no choice... I have learned that the more rules implemented for the purpose of "fair play", the better opportunity for a select few to use them to their advantage. 

In my opinion, the rules are just right regarding transferring, but that TSSAA could (and should) do a little better at investigating infractions and applying penalties when the rules are intentionally broken.

2 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

This man gets it! School sports are useful in the development of children into adults... they teach that discipline, preparation, and hard work equal success. They create an atmosphere where young, impressionable people are provided with positive role models to emulate, and supply them with a time consuming outlet for their endless energy that could otherwise be "replaced" by bad influences or idle time and less than ideal pursuits. The main focus of Tide21's post is that sports are for the kids, not for us fans, and not for the purpose of winning trophies. I totally understand the transfer rules as they stand, and agree that if there were no consequences for moving that it would be rampant (refer to Memphis), but adding any additional restrictions that make it harder for kids to enjoy sports would only hurt the ones who have little or no choice... I have learned that the more rules implemented for the purpose of "fair play", the better opportunity for a select few to use them to their advantage. 

In my opinion, the rules are just right regarding transferring, but that TSSAA could (and should) do a little better at investigating infractions and applying penalties when the rules are intentionally broken.

Good Post....Enforce the rules you do have!

All of that is fine and believe parts of it. There are schools out there that are pure and simple football ware houses. That cannot be denied. A kid leaving for those are basically cheating the system. If that school meant so much then a one year sitting  out doesn't matter. It is a punishment for the schools they leave and most leave for sports. It is a very unfair advantage. No, I am not for holding anyone back but the grass isn't greener on the other side. A mark of a good coach is win with what's in your halls. The true coaches do it with what they got. This is the day we live in poach other schools and have a great shot to win it all. Win with your own students and be more respected. Respect doesn't matter to them. All that matters it look at me and all my championships. Give me the coaches that do things the right way. For all you others you know who you are. Supporters of said schools are fine with it as long as the win. Give me the kids I grew up watching not worrying about the next 3 star. 4 star and 5 star I get to make a run next year. Play with what you have would be better games and legit state titles. Some will come on and blast this but deep down it's TRUE. It's a shame our sport as come to this. Nobody will put true numbers of transfers they received over the years. I bet on that.

5 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

All of that is fine and believe parts of it. There are schools out there that are pure and simple football ware houses. That cannot be denied. A kid leaving for those are basically cheating the system. If that school meant so much then a one year sitting  out doesn't matter. It is a punishment for the schools they leave and most leave for sports. It is a very unfair advantage. No, I am not for holding anyone back but the grass isn't greener on the other side. A mark of a good coach is win with what's in your halls. The true coaches do it with what they got. This is the day we live in poach other schools and have a great shot to win it all. Win with your own students and be more respected. Respect doesn't matter to them. All that matters it look at me and all my championships. Give me the coaches that do things the right way. For all you others you know who you are. Supporters of said schools are fine with it as long as the win. Give me the kids I grew up watching not worrying about the next 3 star. 4 star and 5 star I get to make a run next year. Play with what you have would be better games and legit state titles. Some will come on and blast this but deep down it's TRUE. It's a shame our sport as come to this. Nobody will put true numbers of transfers they received over the years. I bet on that.

I understand where you are coming from. However, we all know Milan and Peabody played with a few players that had transferred into their program. Here's the tough pill to swallow, no matter what the restrictions are, schools that are predominately dominant in football are going to find ways to bend the rules or find a loop hole. I do want what is best for the athlete and I do want to see them be successful, but I also want to see the TSSAA think about something different to prevent more transferring. The people that represent that schools that gets transfers coming in, will always say, "it happens everywhere."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Our schools reflect society '68, and that's how it is these days in most everything. The path doesn't matter as long as you get where you're going with the least resistance. In my Grandfather's day, "relief" (SSI, ect...) was viewed as an source of shame by most, but also in that time, it was not uncommon for the whole community to gather a man's crop, or build him a barn if he was sick or hurt. Nowadays, everyone just wants everything they can get for nothing, and has no idea who their neighbor is. I really respect what your intention is, but those transferring for the wrong reasons will always find a way, and those who really need to move (not for sports) won't. If TSSAA would so a better job, the rules now in place are enough.

I've said the same thing past 10 years.Unless a move us made,make them sit a year.Go to the school you are zoned.Even as freshmen.Lake co would probably have 2 or 3 more state championships if if werent kids recruited to Dyersburg and Dyer co.In my opinion ,the Lake Co team that lost in the last minute to J.C.S could have won the title if not for one play but had Andre Flowers been on that team,nobody in Single A would have touched them.Its hard for the true rural teams to compete.Like 68 said,dont believe it's because of academics in some cases.Make a player sit and Id be willing to bet Little Johnny wouldnt go to another school.Its much to easy with some schools only being about 10 miles from another school.

12 hours ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Before anyone blows their tops and I no way saying schools are cheating. I was just trying to see each school take on the subject.

Ok so I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here. Just for conversation purposes. Several years ago Tanner Snyder leaves LC for a couple years and then transfers back. Should he have to sit out a year in your opinion??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Ok so I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here. Just for conversation purposes. Several years ago Tanner Snyder leaves LC for a couple years and then transfers back. Should he have to sit out a year in your opinion??

His answer “No because...” I don’t see anything wrong with a kid transferring to better his chances in football and eventually maybe even his life with a scholarship to play ball.  Worked out well for Snyder. 

1 minute ago, WestTNFootball100 said:

His answer “No because...” I don’t see anything wrong with a kid transferring to better his chances in football and eventually maybe even his life with a scholarship to play ball.  Worked out well for Snyder. 

I understand why he left. Cause his mom left to take a job in Dyersburg. And when she came back to LC as a principal he came back too. I get it and think there is nothing wrong with what he did. I’m just interested in his opinion. He was a transfer and he thinks transfers should sit out a year. Again all in good conversation and in this case I don’t think the kid should have to sit out cause Snyder didn’t really have a choice. It would be unfair to him in my opinion. I think there are lots of kids like this that don’t have a choice.