2021 3A

SSHawks12

1 minute ago, Indian said:

There’s no risk for them playing those games in the regular season. 

Yes there is. They could get kids hurt that would possibly not be able to play in the playoffs. There is much to gain from playing those teams. You get better and make a playoff run that much easier. Let’s be honest if you can hang with the teams he mentioned beating Upperman and Sequatchie should be a piece of cake. 

1 minute ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yes there is. They could get kids hurt that would possibly not be able to play in the playoffs. There is much to gain from playing those teams. You get better and make a playoff run that much easier. Let’s be honest if you can hang with the teams he mentioned beating Upperman and Sequatchie should be a piece of cake. 

Your last sentence proves the point that’s been argued for years. 

1 minute ago, Indian said:

12 year old numbers aren’t on the Tssaa site. They got it from TDOE and I didn’t feel like “digging” that far down. Not sure why you’d think they’d have inaccurate numbers since they got them directly from TDOE.

I don’t know if they have correct numbers or not. I’ve never heard of them so I can’t say if they are reliable or not. I would just prefer to use numbers I know are 100% correct. 

A lot of the talk about Alcoa not playing in the 3A comes across as adults wanting kids to lose that are playing in the classification they are supposed to be in. Why would adults want to take away a win from kids that have earned it and deserve to be there?

If Alcoa has a slightly down year in the near future and moved up and lost, yet could have won in the classification they were supposed to compete in, is that fair to the kids? Would that make some folks happy?

Let the kids enjoy what they earn and what they deserve.  They compete against the best competition they can find regardless of division during the season every year. When it comes time for the playoffs they are more than ready for what is facing them.

Just now, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t know if they have correct numbers or not. I’ve never heard of them so I can’t say if they are reliable or not. I would just prefer to use numbers I know are 100% correct. 

Okay. They just threw in whatever numbers they felt like typing. Maybe they felt one day, 12 years later, there would be discussion on Alcoa enrollment and wanted to make it unfairly slanted. 

1 minute ago, 32hammer said:

A lot of the talk about Alcoa not playing in the 3A comes across as adults wanting kids to lose that are playing in the classification they are supposed to be in. Why would adults want to take away a win from kids that have earned it and deserve to be there?

If Alcoa has a slightly down year in the near future and moved up and lost, yet could have won in the classification they were supposed to compete in, is that fair to the kids? Would that make some folks happy?

Let the kids enjoy what they earn and what they deserve.  They compete against the best competition they can find regardless of division during the season every year. When it comes time for the playoffs they are more than ready for what is facing them.

There isn’t as much discussion as in years past  but many of your fellow supporters would express boredom and worse, mock the postseason competition and region opponents. It still happens every now and then. There’s an easy solution and they’d still win most of the time. Has nothing to do with seeing them lose. Not being allowed to jump more than a class has been used, other Knoxville area schools ducking was used (valid, but TSSAA could fix that by allowing schools only to move up for travel or competitive reasons,  not to avoid). 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Wrong mind set. You don't schedule games you know 100% you're going to win. You ALWAYS schedule better and better competition. Alcoa has done that for years! If Peabody wants to build on their success, you need to schedule the best teams you can. If not, you will have a team that cycles....great team, average team, good, team, great team, bad team. You can not be scared of better competition. It creates a weak mind set. Iron sharpens Iron.

I was just thinking that you guys already play maryville and some of them might be closer with the same competition 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Indian said:

Okay. They just threw in whatever numbers they felt like typing. Maybe they felt one day, 12 years later, there would be discussion on Alcoa enrollment and wanted to make it unfairly slanted. 

That’s not what I said and you know it. Everyone knows there is an abundance of misinformation on the internet. Just like there is an abundance of correct information. You may be 100% correct am I readily admit that. All I’m saying is I haven’t heard of them therefore I can’t readily accept them as a reputable source. 

5 minutes ago, Indian said:

Your last sentence proves the point that’s been argued for years. 

Alcoa this year with 650 students and 60 players had 3 6A teams scheduled. 2 teams had enrollment numbers over 2200 students. These teams had over 100 players dressed for the game against Alcoa. The F5 won with their 60 players. Come playoff time, Alcoa plays in their enrollment classification.  BECAUSE they are a 3A team with limited numbers. Why make it unfair to the players? Those 60? Why should they have to compete against schools 3 and 4 times larger? They cake walk through the playoffs because they DO schedule better teams! This is obvious to people that understand and not YOU that hates to see Alcoa’s continued sucess!:thumb:

2 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That’s not what I said and you know it. Everyone knows there is an abundance of misinformation on the internet. Just like there is an abundance of correct information. You may be 100% correct am I readily admit that. All I’m saying is I haven’t heard of them therefore I can’t readily accept them as a reputable source. 

Nah they had kids playing 3A football and were angry Alcoa didn’t move up. Hence, intentionally false enrollment info. 

6 minutes ago, Indian said:

There isn’t as much discussion as in years past  but many of your fellow supporters would express boredom and worse, mock the postseason competition and region opponents. It still happens every now and then. There’s an easy solution and they’d still win most of the time. Has nothing to do with seeing them lose. Not being allowed to jump more than a class has been used, other Knoxville area schools ducking was used (valid, but TSSAA could fix that by allowing schools only to move up for travel or competitive reasons,  not to avoid). 

However that’s not the only easy solution. Another easy solution would be for teams to get better and beat them. I’m not arguing weather or not they have an unfair advantage. That’s pointless. My team hit the weight room on Monday following the championship game working to get better. Any team that wants to compete with them needs to stop crying and put in the work. 

2 minutes ago, Indian said:

You make some valid points.

With me it always comes back to the kids.  I know first hand the amount of year round effort the kids put in to winning a state championship. The kids get pushed to compete above where they are expected to during the season against great teams in higher classifications. When they win its awesome, when they don't, its a lesson.

They work harder in preparation for the goal than is necessary to achieve the goal. Isn't that what we are supposed to be teaching the kids?

This is not directed at anyone, but most of the comments I see and hear come down to wanting either the Alcoa kids to lose a championship they deserve or for another group of kids to have an easier path to the championship by removing a group of kids that deserve to be there. Is that really what we want to be doing?

Let the kids play where they are classified to play, compete hard and let the outcome be settled on the field ( and in my opinion  more importantly in the off season workouts).

• Like 1