2021 3A

SSHawks12

19 minutes ago, Indian said:

Their explanation (the fans on here) is that they play some of those type teams in the regular season so that's proving enough. 

But don’t forget to add that the fans on here for Alcoa have said multiple times that they want the team to play up. Usually they mention the teams that they play in the regular season when someone infers that they are scared to play up. Then they chime in about the 6A teams they already play. But their fans have made it clear they want to move up. 

The problem is team haven't elevated enough to compete with Alcoa in 3a.  The last 3a public team to compete with Alcoa was the 2016 Elizabethton team that lost 17-14 at Goddard Field and moved to 4a the next year.  It takes a team that has been grinding since Middle School to compete.  Teams like Alcoa and Maryville have forced other teams to get better around here to compete with them (It's what Greeneville and Betsy have done now). 

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

The problem is team haven't elevated enough to compete with Alcoa in 3a.  The last 3a public team to compete with Alcoa was the 2016 Elizabethton team that lost 17-14 at Goddard Field and moved to 4a the next year.  It takes a team that has been grinding since Middle School to compete.  Teams like Alcoa and Maryville have forced other teams to get better around here to compete with them (It's what Greeneville and Betsy have done now). 

I agree with the first part of your post in regards to teams elevating their game. But I would argue that the last 3A public school to compete with them was Covington in 2018. Tied with a couple of mins to go and Alcoa pulls it out 21-14. 

48 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I agree with the first part of your post in regards to teams elevating their game. But I would argue that the last 3A public school to compete with them was Covington in 2018. Tied with a couple of mins to go and Alcoa pulls it out 21-14. 

Took the words right out of my mouth!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Very True BPM.  I had forgotten about the tough battle with Covington in 2018.  Thanks for catching that!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ManOfMillions said:

2021 State Championship game = Alcoa vs Covington. 

Alcoa - 48

Covington - 14

This may seem odd but it is what is. Covington will cake walk through the playoffs. 

Y'all are going to jinx my Covington Chargers for 2021. We have to replace Carson Ruffin at QB, Marcus Hayes at RB, Dalton Dickerson at wideout/punter, and Lareko Burton at linebacker, just to name a few. We can't do like Alabama and go sign the #1 recruiting class. We just have to play with the kids who show up on campus.

I'm sure that Coach JR Kirby will have our guys ready to play, but those are some big shoes to fill. Of course, with Milan and South Gibson playing in 4A this coming season, we will have lost some stiff competition in our region. I like our chances, but I'm not ready to dust off a spot on the shelf for a 2021 Silver Ball yet.

Let's see what transpires between now and next August. I hope that we won't have Covid for an opponent by then. As I'm telling folks, all I want for Christmas is a vaccine, and it looks like that is on the way.

7 minutes ago, BCsportsfan said:

Alcoa's schedule next year shows 4 teams so far. Two 6A teams. One top 5 ranked 5A team. Got two more out of region teams to schedule! No 4A teams wanted to play?

this thread has been stating that.  What is the challenge for Alcoa to continue to beat up on 3A teams?  Why won't they step up to the plate (move up to 6A) and see if they are the best team in the state?  

• Like 1