Maryville College Coaching Search

I was looking at their 104 man roster and only 23 players come from within a fifty mile radius of Maryville College. Only 2 from Blount County. It seems to me Maryville College would better itself by pulling more players out of the area in order to create fan interest and even a coach with local ties. That in itself would help draw my attention knowing who some of these kids were from local high schools. As it is right now Maryville College reminds me of "The Walton's" and their obvious financial struggles because of no fan interest inside the county.

the_waltons.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit

Edited by BarneySox2007

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

I was looking at their 104 man roster and only 23 players come from within a fifty mile radius of Maryville College. Only 2 from Blount County. It seems to me Maryville College would better itself by pulling more players out of the area in order to create fan interest and even a coach with local ties. That in itself would help draw my attention knowing who some of these kids were from local high schools. As it is right now Maryville College reminds me of "The Walton's" and their obvious financial struggles because of no fan interest inside the county.

the_waltons.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit

Blount County is made up of mostly middle class families. The only people that can afford MC are the wealthy and the poor. 

1 hour ago, MLREB said:

Blount County is made up of mostly middle class families. The only people that can afford MC are the wealthy and the poor. 

Nope. Just like every other private liberal arts college they bring in students with promises of grandeur and graduate them with degrees in a disciplines in which there are no jobs and six figures in student loan debt.  That's how the game is played these days.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HTV said:

Nope. Just like every other private liberal arts college they bring in students with promises of grandeur and graduate them with degrees in a disciplines in which there are no jobs and six figures in student loan debt.  That's how the game is played these days.  

Good enough to get my youngin in law school.

Edited by OldRebel2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, OldRebel2 said:

Good enough to get my youngin in law school.

And that's the key.  Your offspring actually followed a discipline that got he/she in to law school where he/she will have the ability to get a job in law, and a salary that will allow them to pay those loans back, if he/she had to take loans.  

You are fortunate.  Your child is the exception.  Way too many of the students the private liberal arts colleges are turning out aren't graduating with useful degrees and they are ending up in low paying jobs and having trouble paying those loans back.  

In Tennessee, the Tennessee Promise program basically funds the first 2 years of college at a Tennessee Community College for free.  Unless one has a substantial scholarship to a private liberal arts college or gets grants that don't have to be re-payed, that's just a no brainer. 

The cost of liberal arts schools keep going up and up and the return on investment down the road is just not there.  

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, HTV said:

And that's the key.  Your offspring actually followed a discipline that got he/she in to law school where he/she will have the ability to get a job in law, and a salary that will allow them to pay those loans back, if he/she had to take loans.  

You are fortunate.  Your child is the exception.  Way too many of the students the private liberal arts colleges are turning out aren't graduating with useful degrees and they are ending up in low paying jobs and having trouble paying those loans back.  

In Tennessee, the Tennessee Promise program basically funds the first 2 years of college at a Tennessee Community College for free.  Unless one has a substantial scholarship to a private liberal arts college or gets grants that don't have to be re-payed, that's just a no brainer. 

The cost of liberal arts schools keep going up and up and the return on investment down the road is just not there.  

WOW that sounds like the episode when John Boy set the house on fire.

cc84e3d020beffbe4ec8c829d7c09048.jpg?wid

Edited by BarneySox2007

1 hour ago, BarneySox2007 said:

WOW that sounds like the episode when John Boy set the house on fire.

cc84e3d020beffbe4ec8c829d7c09048.jpg?wid

I've always been a call it like I see it guy, Barney.  Higher education in this country is in a really bad place.  Kids are conditioned from day one that if they don't go and get a 4 year college degree and then grad school they are not going to have a chance in life.  And the liberal arts colleges have taken advantage of that mindset and aren't delivering actual useful educations.  

Sciences and engineering are musts in this day and time.  And the liberal arts schools are doing a piss poor job of offering those, while increasing costs at a rate that normal families just can't afford.  And young people aren't given a full picture of what life it going to be like after they graduate and have to start paying those loans back with a low paying job.  Colleges and universities are addicted to the money and don't really give a rats behind about what happens when they graduate students in disciplines where there are not any jobs worth having.  It's a scam.  

Like the saying goes, follow the money.  It doesn't lie.  

3 hours ago, HTV said:

I've always been a call it like I see it guy, Barney.  Higher education in this country is in a really bad place.  Kids are conditioned from day one that if they don't go and get a 4 year college degree and then grad school they are not going to have a chance in life.  And the liberal arts colleges have taken advantage of that mindset and aren't delivering actual useful educations.  

Sciences and engineering are musts in this day and time.  And the liberal arts schools are doing a piss poor job of offering those, while increasing costs at a rate that normal families just can't afford.  And young people aren't given a full picture of what life it going to be like after they graduate and have to start paying those loans back with a low paying job.  Colleges and universities are addicted to the money and don't really give a rats behind about what happens when they graduate students in disciplines where there are not any jobs worth having.  It's a scam.  

Like the saying goes, follow the money.  It doesn't lie.  

I totally agree, another log to put on the fire is the forgive student loan debt. If that happens it will devalue a college education to almost worthless for some.