Top 10 Stadiums in 5A/6A

tubthumper

On 12/16/2020 at 2:24 PM, Swipes said:

Having Coached in Blankenship and in Clabo and playing in DB's Stadium (Even before they added the upper deck) DB's Stadium is nicer and more like a College Stadium than a Blankenship and Clabo.  You have 100 + band members playing the War Chant and loud as can be.  

https://www.timesnews.net/vasity-football-bearden-at-dobyns-bennett/image_4067a21a-1189-11eb-8298-cb374c086263.html

One that I haven't seen mentioned except once is The Stone Castle for TN High.  One of the coolest places I played at because it's literally playing inside of a Castle.

http://www2.btcs.org/ths/football/Castle.htm

It is said to be haunted in the tunnels on the visitors side. As a young coach,  starting his career 1976-78 at TN High, I have been in the tunnels by myself. Very cold even in August, noises, and always feeling like someone is next to you, I can say..... it is not haunted.

Edited by noonesfool

12 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

I have been to a lot of stadiums over the years.  

Oak Ridge has a good one.  Henry Co and Trousdale Co are great venues!!  I am still partial to the 100 year old field at Gallatin though!  

@GWAVE1 did you attend any of the Gallatin games in the mid 70s at Boyce Smith Field in Springfield? My first game to attend was there I believe in 77. I think it was a playoff game but there had to have been 6,000 people there. That place rocked back in the day. 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, tubthumper said:

This has been done to death but hasn't been done in quite awhile. I'm a fan of football history and architecture. Here are the factors: capacity, design, history, environment. Public Schools Only. Who's on your list.

10. Franklin County High School

9. Patriot Stadium- Henry County

8. Shackle Island-Beech

7. Calvin Short- Gallatin

6. Shields Stadium- Maryville

5. Lindsey Nelson- Columbia Central

4. Blankenship Field- Oak Ridge

3. Bill Clabo- Farragut

2. J. Fred Johnson Stadium- Dobyns Bennett

1. The Pit- Lincoln County

After seeing some of y'alls post, I would have to put Sevier County in there somewhere. Maybe #3. Very impressive stadium that I have not been to yet. The Castle is also very cool. Maybe put it at #9

Sevier County has to be in top 10 somewhere. The back drop on a late fall Friday night with the mountains is something to behold. The stadium, when packed, can seat 6000. The turf with the big SC in middle and purple on the turf is beautiful. And now that they have added the Jumbotron, the atmosphere is great. 

DB and OR are two of the best also. Plus have to add the Castle in Bristol. 

Under the radar is Clinton, Greenville, and GP (stadium not so much, but the back drop OH MY)

2 minutes ago, jna71305 said:

Sevier County has to be in top 10 somewhere. The back drop on a late fall Friday night with the mountains is something to behold. The stadium, when packed, can seat 6000. The turf with the big SC in middle and purple on the turf is beautiful. And now that they have added the Jumbotron, the atmosphere is great. 

DB and OR are two of the best also. Plus have to add the Castle in Bristol. 

Under the radar is Clinton, Greenville, and GP (stadium not so much, but the back drop OH MY)

Call me crazy, but I liked the Clinton stadium setup better before they built the new home side.  I love the older concrete structures.  Not so much the newer aluminum stadiums that are being built now.  Just not the same character.  

That old Clinton stadium was so compact, and the seats in the south end zone for students just set it off.  When it was full on both sides and in the end zones, with everybody so close to the field it was just a great, great atmosphere.  One of my favorite venues to broadcast from.  

7 hours ago, JacketLover said:

@GWAVE1 did you attend any of the Gallatin games in the mid 70s at Boyce Smith Field in Springfield? My first game to attend was there I believe in 77. I think it was a playoff game but there had to have been 6,000 people there. That place rocked back in the day. 

I played there in 1974 and 1976 while a student at BGA. Rob Fesmire was our quarterback, and the YellowJackets beat us 21-16 on a COLD November night in '76 in his last high school game (he was a four-year starter). Springfield knocked us out of the playoffs/Clinic Bowl the year before 15-0 in Franklin; Kimmie Gunn and Ricky Chatman ran over, around, and through us that night.

3 minutes ago, WildcatRealist said:

I played there in 1974 and 1976 while a student at BGA. Rob Fesmire was our quarterback, and the YellowJackets beat us 21-16 on a COLD November night in '76 in his last high school game (he was a four-year starter). Springfield knocked us out of the playoffs/Clinic Bowl the year before 15-0 in Franklin; Kimmie Gunn and Ricky Chatman ran over, around, and through us that night.

Ricky and Kimmie were undoubtedly the best backfield duo in school history, with Ricky being the best RB ever most likely. Sadly, both have passed away within the last year or two(not from Covid). The old stadium was huge back then. The renovations in the early 2000s reduced the seating quite a bit. I’ve seen pictures of when it was full all the way around, including the seats that used to be in the east end zone. 

7 hours ago, JacketLover said:

No sir.  That was a little before my time. 

4 hours ago, HTV said:

Call me crazy, but I liked the Clinton stadium setup better before they built the new home side.  I love the older concrete structures.  Not so much the newer aluminum stadiums that are being built now.  Just not the same character.  

That old Clinton stadium was so compact, and the seats in the south end zone for students just set it off.  When it was full on both sides and in the end zones, with everybody so close to the field it was just a great, great atmosphere.  One of my favorite venues to broadcast from.  

You are not crazy. I actually have never been to the remodeled Clinton Stadium but the way it was it was special.

I'm glad to see Clinton getting good press on CoachT. 

23 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

I was pretty young but still remember the size of the crowd that night. The visitor seating used to be 3-4 times what it is now there. 

Springfield was always a good game.  Love the tradition of our two respective schools.  If they do not play in 2029 for the 100 year anniversary of the rivalry then it will be a huge loss on both schools part!!