Top 10 Stadiums in 5A/6A

tubthumper

On 12/24/2020 at 8:41 PM, DaBears1976 said:

Gonna be biased a lot on this one. Really think Bradley has the nicest Stadium. Especially in East Tennessee. One of the biggest as well. Probably needs to be remodeled a little. The hill more so. DB is a close second. Just wished the baseball field wasn't built into the football field. 

I agree. When I was a kid you would find hundreds of kids playing ball on the baseball field during games and that was an awesome experience, but since the turf has been installed it’s all blocked off which definitely takes away from it. Without the baseball field we could actually build a true visitor side bleachers that would really make it great. But I’m definitely bias. J. Fred is one the the most impressive high school football stadiums I’ve ever seen. Especially when we play Science Hill, or when we used to play Sullivan South it was absolutely rocking, with people having to watch from the baseball stands or piled up around the fence on the scoreboard side. 10,000 seats, and with standing room can hold as much as 12-13,000. 
I also love Oak Ridge, Maryville, and the Stone Castle. Always my favorite road games on our schedule. The environment at all 3 are awesome. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2020 at 10:56 AM, tubthumper said:

This has been done to death but hasn't been done in quite awhile. I'm a fan of football history and architecture. Here are the factors: capacity, design, history, environment. Public Schools Only. Who's on your list.

10. Franklin County High School

9. Patriot Stadium- Henry County

8. Shackle Island-Beech

7. Calvin Short- Gallatin

6. Shields Stadium- Maryville

5. Lindsey Nelson- Columbia Central

4. Blankenship Field- Oak Ridge

3. Bill Clabo- Farragut

2. J. Fred Johnson Stadium- Dobyns Bennett

1. The Pit- Lincoln County

I would put Blankenship a close 2nd behind J. Fred at 1st, both have more atmosphere and tradition than Clabo. I would move Sheilds Stadium in Maryville up to 3rd, I have been to many stadiums in East Tennessee and some in Middle Tennessee. I like the crusty old Calvin Short Stadium in Gallatin (named after a great coach). I have been to the Pit at Lincoln County, I liked it but it is 4th. Been to Henry County and I was impressed by the rowdy crowd more than the stadium. I also think the Stone Castle in Bristol belongs in the top 5. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I personally love watching games at Clinton. Not having a track between the bleachers and fields goes a long way for me. Feels like youre right on top of the action.  Plus the bleachers in both endzones make for a great environment when that place is filled up. I think all schools should have a "home' and "away" side. Clinton is just a unique place to play. Also, I have heard Clinton is getting turf soon.

Edited by DragonVol

On 12/24/2020 at 8:41 PM, DaBears1976 said:

Gonna be biased a lot on this one. Really think Bradley has the nicest Stadium. Especially in East Tennessee. One of the biggest as well. Probably needs to be remodeled a little. The hill more so. DB is a close second. Just wished the baseball field wasn't built into the football field. 

It's cool to be biased on these type of topics.

I have seen Bradley Central mentioned several  times and have been to several games there. I am not impressed from the view from the Visitors side. When the Bears make a great play and you see their fans going crazy but the noise doesn't make it to the Visitor's side.

On the plus side is a lot of parking close by the Field. Too bad it cost to park. I would rank BCHS at # 10. You are right there is work to be done and if you can find the money to pay for the remodeling you could have a top ranked Field,

In case you don't know, I am an Oak Ridge fan and rank Blankenship Field at #1. We too need work done and money in OR is hard to come by. RWR!

10 hours ago, osunut2 said:

Man, that would be fantastic for your program. That field is atrocious when it rains.

I just love Clinton's Field. From the chile dogs to the fans being so close to the game. It is a fun time. Ranked at #4 in my opinion.

Overrated is Farragut. The Visitor side is too small and when you go there you better take all your swag off the car or you might get vandalized.

23 hours ago, DragonVol said:

I personally love watching games at Clinton. Not having a track between the bleachers and fields goes a long way for me. Feels like youre right on top of the action.  Plus the bleachers in both endzones make for a great environment when that place is filled up. I think all schools should have a "home' and "away" side. Clinton is just a unique place to play. Also, I have heard Clinton is getting turf soon.

They better get started on it if they want it done before August.

I have also heard the school system wants to buy the stadium and grounds from the city. Don't know how well that is going though..

On 4/6/2021 at 2:47 AM, WilleTheWildcat said:

It's cool to be biased on these type of topics.

I have seen Bradley Central mentioned several  times and have been to several games there. I am not impressed from the view from the Visitors side. When the Bears make a great play and you see their fans going crazy but the noise doesn't make it to the Visitor's side.

On the plus side is a lot of parking close by the Field. Too bad it cost to park. I would rank BCHS at # 10. You are right there is work to be done and if you can find the money to pay for the remodeling you could have a top ranked Field,

In case you don't know, I am an Oak Ridge fan and rank Blankenship Field at #1. We too need work done and money in OR is hard to come by. RWR!

I haven’t been to Bradley since the early 90’s, but frankly I never saw anything special about it. Of course, their program was a train wreck in those days. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, HTV said:

Depends on what criteria one is using.  

And I have no tie to them what so ever, but any list that doesn't have J. Fred Johnson at the top is completely bogus.  It is the 5th best stadium in the state, only behind Neyland, Nissan, Floyd, and The Liberty Bowl.  

How many high schools have elevators in their stadium?