Top Rivalries in TN

Bump11

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

‘94 Riverdale for me. How many power 5 recruits, 6 or 7? I can name four off of the top of my head. Absolutely stacked. Never saw Cleveland ‘93 unfortunately. 1990 Lincoln County was awesome too. We (OR) lost to them in the playoffs that year. Dang good team. Kelly Holcombe their quarterback went on to play in the NFL.

No argument that '94 Riverdale is an all time great team in this state, but an argument can be made that they're not even the best team from Murfreesboro. 1970 Murfreesboro Central team only had a roster of 40, yet had 16 go on to play college ball ( 8 of which went to play in the SEC) as well as sending 2 to Oklahoma. They were dominant in a time where this state wasn't watered down with classifications

2 hours ago, SweetScience said:

‘94 Riverdale for me. How many power 5 recruits, 6 or 7? I can name four off of the top of my head. Absolutely stacked. Never saw Cleveland ‘93 unfortunately. 1990 Lincoln County was awesome too. We (OR) lost to them in the playoffs that year. Dang good team. Kelly Holcombe their quarterback went on to play in the NFL.

I agree, the 94’ Riverdale team was one of the best I have ever seen. 

That 90’ Lincoln Co team got beat in a scrimmage by none other than Gallatin.  That scrimmage claimed our starting QB and had it not....I do not think they would have won a state title.  

4 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

No argument that '94 Riverdale is an all time great team in this state, but an argument can be made that they're not even the best team from Murfreesboro. 1970 Murfreesboro Central team only had a roster of 40, yet had 16 go on to play college ball ( 8 of which went to play in the SEC) as well as sending 2 to Oklahoma. They were dominant in a time where this state wasn't watered down with classifications

Sounds about like our 1958 team here @ OR that won the National Sports News Service national championship in high school that year. Just about every starter on that team went on to play major college ball somewhere. 

Edited by SweetScience

3 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

I agree, the 94’ Riverdale team was one of the best I have ever seen. 

That 90’ Lincoln Co team got beat in a scrimmage by none other than Gallatin.  That scrimmage claimed our starting QB and had it not....I do not think they would have won a state title.  

I don’t believe it for a second!! ;) haha. You may be right, but man they were tougher’n pine knot. Rod Buchanan (RB) was one heck of a RB. Heck, for that matter, our ‘91 squad was pretty dang loaded. If not for that 1 point loss to Billy Jack Haskins and Paducah-Tilghman that year, we may be in that discussion. That team could’ve played with any team we’ve mentioned so far & today, if you ask me. Speed, size, had it all.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

I don’t believe it for a second!! ;) haha. You may be right, but man they were tougher’n pine knot. Rod Buchanan (RB) was one heck of a RB. Heck, for that matter, our ‘91 squad was pretty dang loaded. If not for that 1 point loss to Billy Jack Haskins and Paducah-Tilghman that year, we may be in that discussion. That team could’ve played with any team we’ve mentioned so far & today, if you ask me. Speed, size, had it all.

We don’t like to talk about the 91’ Oak Ridge team here in Gallatin.  We just go straight to the 92’ Gallatin team.  Lol!!! 

Hey those were all tough teams back then!!  You went through a gauntlet to make it!!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

We don’t like to talk about the 91’ Oak Ridge team here in Gallatin.  We just go straight to the 92’ Gallatin team.  Lol!!! 

Hey those were all tough teams back then!!  You went through a gauntlet to make it!!  

Them ole Dragons played y’all tough that year. Scotty Whitt was a man-child. He had all the tools to be an NFL player. Too bad he ended up making the wrong choices in life. One of the best talents I’ve ever seen.

4 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Them ole Dragons played y’all tough that year. Scotty Whitt was a man-child. He had all the tools to be an NFL player. Too bad he ended up making the wrong choices in life. One of the best talents I’ve ever seen.

Whitt was special but give me the 3 S's RBs #40, #22 and #10. I may have Williams number wrong. All three were named All-State first team. Oak Ridge owned the RB position for about 10 years.

For me, the team that ripped out my heart and peed all over me was the 1993 Riverdale team. I went on the John Clark's "Joe Gaddis Bubble Gum Express."  I was pumped thinking we would be okay since we had some great players. I was still high off the victory over Science Hill by a  late FG.  I had no idea Riverdale was LOADED, FAST and NASTY. Plus they got all kinds of weird breaks. Our DL would tip a pass but the ball went straight to a Warrior. All night long it went.

To my SHAME, when the clock hit 00:00. I was laying on the wet bleachers at MTSU., moaning like Trump after the 2020 Elections. Just a pure BABY.

7 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Whitt was special but give me the 3 S's RBs #40, #22 and #10. I may have Williams number wrong. All three were named All-State first team. Oak Ridge owned the RB position for about 10 years.

For me, the team that ripped out my heart and peed all over me was the 1993 Riverdale team. I went on the John Clark's "Joe Gaddis Bubble Gum Express."  I was pumped thinking we would be okay since we had some great players. I was still high off the victory over Science Hill by a  late FG.  I had no idea Riverdale was LOADED, FAST and NASTY. Plus they got all kinds of weird breaks. Our DL would tip a pass but the ball went straight to a Warrior. All night long it went.

To my SHAME, when the clock hit 00:00. I was laying on the wet bleachers at MTSU., moaning like Trump after the 2020 Elections. Just a pure BABY.

If it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale in the late 80s to mid 90s, alot of people might view Joe Gaddis a little bit differently

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

If it wasn't for Oakland and Riverdale in the late 80s to mid 90s, alot of people might view Joe Gaddis a little bit differently

No doubt. That’s a good point. Just a few more horses, and I mean a few. Lost 7-3 to Oakland in 89 (?) or 88 and 10-7 to Riverdale in ‘95. Played that great ‘94 team really tough too. That game was a hard fought 21-7 victory for The Dale.

Edited by SweetScience

20 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

No doubt. That’s a good point. Just a few more horses, and I mean a few. Lost 7-3 to Oakland in 89 (?) or 88 and 10-7 to Riverdale in ‘95. Played that great ‘94 team really tough too. That game was a hard fought 21-7 victory for The Dale.

Lost to Oakland in both '88 and '89. 7-3 and 17-15