Top Rivalries in TN

Bump11

1 hour ago, Haydiboy said:

Mcminn co vs bradley central/County. Been going on  since the times of  great grandparents (i was born in the 90s) think the first game was played in either 1905 or 1916 for some reason both years sound right 

Second oldest and longest "rivalry" game in Tennessee. Can't remember if it's behind the Baylor/mccallie game or Marion County. 

5 hours ago, DaBears1976 said:

Back when, no rivalry in this state compared to Bradley vs Cleveland. It's still one of the biggest and best in Tennessee in both football and definitely the biggest in wrestling.  

Wrestling most definitely yes, football not likely. Name another state or national rivalry that has as many state titles for both schools as far back as the 70's and has been played more times than Maryville-Alcoa. We hold the national record for most consecutive years played as well....

Edited by JSamson7

6 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Wrestling most definitely yes, football not likely. Name another state or national rivalry that has as many state titles for both schools as far back as the 70's and has been played more times than Maryville-Alcoa. We hold the national record for most consecutive years played as well....

I agree with the longevity, as well as the number of times played, etc.; As good as Alcoa has been though, y’all own that series, and it’s not even close. As far as competitiveness, tradition, and all the other factors that go into what makes a rivalry, I’d have to include the OR/DB rivalry. It may not have the longevity of the others, but as far as it being competitive, you can’t get much more competitive as those 2. OR leads the series, I believe 24-22, although I may be off a game or 2. It’s extremely close though, I know that much. A lot of the games have had huge playoff implications throughout the years as well.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

Rivalry isn't bout just state champions playing each other every year. Pretty sure Bradley and Mcminn has played 103-4 times and Maryville and Alcoa 91 I think? The best thing they could have done was to ban bradley and Cleveland from playing. The rival just didn't start up on Friday before the game. It started the Sunday before that was called "Bradley Cleveland week". It was so bad throughout town the whole week. There were fights after fights. Painting our bear blue, painting their field black and gold, burning fields and such. More cops out in town, swat and cops at the game than Maryville and Alcoa sees each season at theirs. Of course it has called down to be just a good crosstown rival, (which is a good thing) but back then, it was the most hatred, brutal and best rivalry in the state of Tennessee. Just wished it never got out of hand like it did.  2nd was Marion and South Pitt. Ot was also brutal. 

PS: shouldn't even have been called a rivalry anyway due to the fact that Cleveland smacked us around every year. Never seen teams like that. 

Edited by DaBears1976

5 hours ago, DaBears1976 said:

PS: shouldn't even have been called a rivalry anyway due to the fact that Cleveland smacked us around every year. Never seen teams like that. 

The best JV game I have ever seen was when Cleveland came to Oak Ridge in the 1990s loaded with studs all over the field. Don't recall who won but the Wildcats made a game of it. An OR vs Cleveland series who be very competitive.

9 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

The best JV game I have ever seen was when Cleveland came to Oak Ridge in the 1990s loaded with studs all over the field. Don't recall who won but the Wildcats made a game of it. An OR vs Cleveland series who be very competitive.

They definitely produced two or three of the best teams that ever played in this state. Between them and the Riverdale teams. Darn good teams back then. 

On 12/25/2020 at 11:30 AM, DaBears1976 said:

They definitely produced two or three of the best teams that ever played in this state. Between them and the Riverdale teams. Darn good teams back then. 

The ‘93 Cleveland team remains, top to bottom, the best team that I ever saw. The 1985 West Rome (Ga.) team would be 2nd. They shut out their first 11 opponents. 3rd place is a tougher call, but I would probably lean towards ‘94 Riverdale.

14 hours ago, chs1984 said:

The ‘93 Cleveland team remains, top to bottom, the best team that I ever saw. The 1985 West Rome (Ga.) team would be 2nd. They shut out their first 11 opponents. 3rd place is a tougher call, but I would probably lean towards ‘94 Riverdale.

‘94 Riverdale for me. How many power 5 recruits, 6 or 7? I can name four off of the top of my head. Absolutely stacked. Never saw Cleveland ‘93 unfortunately. 1990 Lincoln County was awesome too. We (OR) lost to them in the playoffs that year. Dang good team. Kelly Holcombe their quarterback went on to play in the NFL.

Edited by SweetScience