Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

15 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

This is some good stuff here. And I agree with a lot of what you said. One thing I will say though is that I think S Gibson has a chance at the region championship. Yes I think Milan and Haywood are definitely the favorites and I think S Gibson will have a hard time beating both of them. But I do think it is possible that Milan, Haywood and South Gibson all end up with one region loss and you have a 3 way tie for first. In that scenario S Gibson could pull it out. I just wouldn’t count them out. Their program has gotten to a place where they are reloading every year. 

I do believe South Gibson is the wildcard here. I’m not sure they can compete with Milan, and they did surprised all of us with the win in Brownsville. 

6 minutes ago, TryNotToSuck said:

I don’t believe the North Side and Milan matchups in week 11 will be anything “exciting.” Remember, there were tons of matchups at the last week of the season that were basically “meaningless” matchups. 

I don’t think the game will have meaning as far as play-off seeding goes cause I don’t think North Side can beat Milan but I could be wrong.  I just think it will be interesting to see how our kids respond to having their former coach on the opposite sideline. 

• Like 1

Just now, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I don’t think the game will have meaning as far as play-off seeding goes cause I don’t think North Side can beat Milan but I could be wrong.  I just think it will be interesting to see how our kids respond to having their former coach on the opposite sideline. 

Was no surprise to me. Just the year before they took Haywood to the limit with a 50-49 loss. Haywood seems to have problems defending South Gibson’s offense. 

Y'all are going to have fun with that region. Covington has played most teams in that region off and on over the last few years.

Obion - looks to me to be like Munford. They have concentrated on their band and they field a good one, but meanwhile their football team has suffered.  I can only recall a couple of years when they have had a competitive football squad. 

Crockett - Has had some knock-down drag-out games vs Covington. Recently, however, Covington has had the edge vs CC, as I recall. 

North Side - It's been quite a while since we crossed paths with them. They knocked us out of the playoffs in 2013 by a score of 32-29. We went 3-7 the following year and they beat us again. I don't have any more recent info on them, so I can't evaluate them properly. 

Haywood - a traditional rival for Covington and I'm excited to see that we have Haywood on our schedule again in 2021. This team has always had good athletes and now has a coaching staff to match. 

South Gibson - They are a relatively new program, but they have gotten good quickly. They beat Covington in the regular season in both 2019 and 2020, but Covington did put them out of the playoffs in 2019. I think they have a chance to rock the boat in this Region.

Milan - Milan has come on strong with their new coach (Diffee). They seem to have it all going on ... facilities, coaching, players, and tradition. I was surprised to see them falter against Alcoa like they did this year, but part of that is no recent playoff experience for their players or coaching staff. Making deep playoff runs requires a special "win or go home" mindset, IMHO. 

In Summary - I would put my money on Milan and Haywood to fight it out to decide this region, with South Gibson as a dark horse. 

2 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Y'all are going to have fun with that region. Covington has played most teams in that region off and on over the last few years.

Obion - looks to me to be like Munford. They have concentrated on their band and they field a good one, but meanwhile their football team has suffered.  I can only recall a couple of years when they have had a competitive football squad. 

Crockett - Has had some knock-down drag-out games vs Covington. Recently, however, Covington has had the edge vs CC, as I recall. 

North Side - It's been quite a while since we crossed paths with them. They knocked us out of the playoffs in 2013 by a score of 32-29. We went 3-7 the following year and they beat us again. I don't have any more recent info on them, so I can't evaluate them properly. 

Haywood - a traditional rival for Covington and I'm excited to see that we have Haywood on our schedule again in 2021. This team has always had good athletes and now has a coaching staff to match. 

South Gibson - They are a relatively new program, but they have gotten good quickly. They beat Covington in the regular season in both 2019 and 2020, but Covington did put them out of the playoffs in 2019. I think they have a chance to rock the boat in this Region.

Milan - Milan has come on strong with their new coach (Diffee). They seem to have it all going on ... facilities, coaching, players, and tradition. I was surprised to see them falter against Alcoa like they did this year, but part of that is no recent playoff experience for their players or coaching staff. Making deep playoff runs requires a special "win or go home" mindset, IMHO. 

In Summary - I would put my money on Milan and Haywood to fight it out to decide this region, with South Gibson as a dark horse. 

I think you gave a solid run down here. I would just argue that what happened to Milan against Alcoa was 100% Alcoa and had nothing to do with Milan’s experience. Alcoa mercy rules every team they played in the playoffs. Milan was the only team to make it to the very end before the running clock kicked in. Alcoa was just that good and light years a head of the rest of 3A this year. 

45 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I think you gave a solid run down here. I would just argue that what happened to Milan against Alcoa was 100% Alcoa and had nothing to do with Milan’s experience. Alcoa mercy rules every team they played in the playoffs. Milan was the only team to make it to the very end before the running clock kicked in. Alcoa was just that good and light years a head of the rest of 3A this year. 

Alcoa didn't mercy rule Covington in 2017 or 2018 when we played them. And, although Covington has not won a Gold Ball yet, we do have 5 Silver Balls since 2000. I still believe that we have experience from deep playoff runs that helps us vs teams like Alcoa. In 2018, we were tied with Alcoa inside the last two minutes of the game. No mercy rule there. And in 2019, PC beat us by one point in the semi-finals, or we would have played Alcoa for the third year in a row.

And, we do have some former players on staff who have experienced deep playoff runs and can share that with current players. I do believe that Milan will benefit in 2021 from their deep playoff run in 2020. 

All that is just my opinion, and we all have one.

48 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

Alcoa didn't mercy rule Covington in 2017 or 2018 when we played them. And, although Covington has not won a Gold Ball yet, we do have 5 Silver Balls since 2000. I still believe that we have experience from deep playoff runs that helps us vs teams like Alcoa. In 2018, we were tied with Alcoa inside the last two minutes of the game. No mercy rule there. And in 2019, PC beat us by one point in the semi-finals, or we would have played Alcoa for the third year in a row.

And, we do have some former players on staff who have experienced deep playoff runs and can share that with current players. I do believe that Milan will benefit in 2021 from their deep playoff run in 2020. 

All that is just my opinion, and we all have one.

Fair enough. 

Well boys, I am not sure where to start. I am very proud that SGC has gained some respect. Just a few short years ago SGC was thought of as the red headed step child with a chipped tooth... I appreciate the kind words and respect given to SGC. We have the longest tenured coach in our new region and he has learned what it takes to win. When I found out that we were going to be moving up to 4A I was kind of mixed on feelings. Then I found out that we were going to be in death row region again and was kind of sad! Lawdy, it has never come easy for us! Some schools get a cake walk to their region championship every single year! We have to fight ever foe under the son year in and year out! We move up a class and, well here we go again! 

I can not really dispute, or disagree with anything that has been posted to this point. 

SGC on paper simply does NOT have the athletes to compete with most of these teams in our new region. However, we make up for that with grit, toughness, and good coaching. I have seen the cardiac kids beat multiple teams they had zero business even competing with..... 

This new region, is as tough as it gets. This is the new life for all of the teams. 

The one team in the region that I believe is not getting as much love as they should is Crockett. They have been a little down for the past few years but they have a great coaching staff and full expect them to in middle of the hunt for region crown with Haywood, Milan, and SGC. 

Northside and Obion are probably the first ones out but could surprise us. 

We have one; Hornet, Bulldog, Tomcat, Rebel, Indian, and Cavalier! 

I can not wait till we can play ball again!