Region 7-4A 2021 Outlook

BIGPURPLEMACHINE

6 minutes ago, stacmot said:

I definitely have too much time on my hands. Insomnia doesn't help.  I've already started to put together stats for the Covington-Haywood game on the 22nd. 

Keep up the good work! I enjoy reading your post they’re always insightful and in-depth with stats and a lot of historical data on Haywood and southwest Tennessee football in general. On a side note, I was through Brownsville a couple weeks ago for work and am thoroughly impressed with the amount of support the city has for the Tomcats. Every light pole on main st had a Tomcat banner on it and some of the transformer boxes were wrapped for Haywood High support. Nice to see that nowadays, it’s a rarity.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Poundtherock23 said:

Keep up the good work! I enjoy reading your post they’re always insightful and in-depth with stats and a lot of historical data on Haywood and southwest Tennessee football in general. On a side note, I was through Brownsville a couple weeks ago for work and am thoroughly impressed with the amount of support the city has for the Tomcats. Every light pole on main st had a Tomcat banner on it and some of the transformer boxes were wrapped for Haywood High support. Nice to see that nowadays, it’s a rarity.

Thanks.  I just wish their was more support for a new stadium/athletic complex.  I haven't heard any results from an online survey that the school board asked people to take.  It's often said that no news is good news, but in this case I'm afraid no news might be bad news for those of us hoping for a state of the art stadium and athletic complex.  

Edited by stacmot

6 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Thanks.  I just wish their was more support for a new stadium/athletic complex.  I haven't heard any results from an online survey that the school board asked people to take.  It's often said that no news is good news, but in this case I'm afraid no news might be bad news for those of us hoping for a state of the art stadium and athletic complex.  

Yeah that’s the other thing noticed…..for the amount of support the town showed….the stadium looked a little outdated and lacking. Maybe with prospect of people moving in due to the new Ford factory, that will change soon.

Edited by Poundtherock23
  • Like 2

I don't know any of the details about the game, but when I saw that Wooddale beat Melrose 3-0 the score surprised me.  Melrose went into that game averaging 32 ppg while Wooddale was giving up 26 ppg.  It's hard to believe the Cards held the Golden Wildcats scoreless.  Also, inner-city schools in Memphis rarely kick extra points, much less field goals.  Wooddale must have a kicking game!

1 hour ago, stacmot said:

I don't know any of the details about the game, but when I saw that Wooddale beat Melrose 3-0 the score surprised me.  Melrose went into that game averaging 32 ppg while Wooddale was giving up 26 ppg.  It's hard to believe the Cards held the Golden Wildcats scoreless.  Also, inner-city schools in Memphis rarely kick extra points, much less field goals.  Wooddale must have a kicking game!

Those inner city schools also tend to have a different team every other week for whatever reason. I know a lot of kids showed up at Haywood that were not on tape.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this info thanks to Michael Odom and the Milan Mirror-Exchange:
https://www.milanmirrorexchange.com/2021/10/20/with-two-weeks-remaining-breaking-down-the-football-playoffs/

With two weeks remaining, breaking down the football playoffs:

Region 7-4A

Haywood is No. 1. If North Side beats Milan in Week 11, North Side is No. 2, South Gibson is No. 3 and Milan is No. 4.

If Milan beats North Side and Crockett County beats South Gibson, Milan is No. 2, North Side is No. 3 and South Gibson is No. 4.

If Milan beats North Side and South Gibson beats Crockett County in Week 11, there is a three-way tie for second place. The first tiebreaker is total wins, so Week 10’s games will play a role in seeding.

So, if South Gibson beats Lausanne, South Gibson is No. 2, Milan is No. 3 and North Side is No. 4. If Lausanne beats South Gibson and North Side beats South Side, North Side is No. 2, South Gibson is No. 3 and Milan is No. 4. But if Lausanne beats South Gibson, South Side beats North Side and Milan beats Hardin County, South Gibson is No. 2, Milan is No. 3 and North Side is No. 4.

Edited by stacmot

On 10/21/2021 at 6:31 PM, stacmot said:

I found this info thanks to Michael Odom and the Milan Mirror-Exchange:
https://www.milanmirrorexchange.com/2021/10/20/with-two-weeks-remaining-breaking-down-the-football-playoffs/

With two weeks remaining, breaking down the football playoffs:

Region 7-4A

Haywood is No. 1. If North Side beats Milan in Week 11, North Side is No. 2, South Gibson is No. 3 and Milan is No. 4.

If Milan beats North Side and Crockett County beats South Gibson, Milan is No. 2, North Side is No. 3 and South Gibson is No. 4.

If Milan beats North Side and South Gibson beats Crockett County in Week 11, there is a three-way tie for second place. The first tiebreaker is total wins, so Week 10’s games will play a role in seeding.

So, if South Gibson beats Lausanne, South Gibson is No. 2, Milan is No. 3 and North Side is No. 4. If Lausanne beats South Gibson and North Side beats South Side, North Side is No. 2, South Gibson is No. 3 and Milan is No. 4. But if Lausanne beats South Gibson, South Side beats North Side and Milan beats Hardin County, South Gibson is No. 2, Milan is No. 3 and North Side is No. 4.

Unfortunately, this doesn't make sense to me. I think Michael Odom just said a whole bunch of nothing. 

South Gibson has two region losses. Those games were to Haywood and to North Side.

North Side only has one region loss. That game was to Haywood.

North Side owns the tiebreaker over South Gibson because the Indians defeat the Hornets.

Region 7-4A is set with Haywood, North Side, South Gibson, and Milan representing our region in the playoffs. I mean, am I missing something?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TryNotToSuck said:

Unfortunately, this doesn't make sense to me. I think Michael Odom just said a whole bunch of nothing. 

South Gibson has two region losses. Those games were to Haywood and to North Side.

North Side only has one region loss. That game was to Haywood.

North Side owns the tiebreaker over South Gibson because the Indians defeat the Hornets.

Region 7-4A is set with Haywood, North Side, South Gibson, and Milan representing our region in the playoffs. I mean, am I missing something?

Haywood is # 1, but I'm in agreement with Odom that  2, 3, and 4 are not set yet!

If Milan beats North Side, both Milan and North Side will have 2 region losses. In the unlikely event that Crockett defeats South Gibson, the Hornets would have 3 loses.  In that case  Milan would own the tiebreaker over North Side making Milan 2 , North Side 3, South Gibson 4

If Milan beats North Side and South Gibson beats Crockett.  Milan, North Side, and South Gibson will finish with 3-2 region records.  The first tie breaker is the most  wins.  Depending on the outcome of this week's games, North Side could finish 6-4 or 5-5, Milan could finish 4-5 or 3-6, South Gibson could finish 6-4 or 7-3.  So it does seem possible that South Gibson (with 7 wins) could finish second, North Side third, Milan fourth.  

A North Side victory over Milan would avoid the 3 way tie and result in the finish you stated.    1. Haywood  2. North Side  3. South Gibson  4. Milan

I'm definitely not saying that my understanding or explanation is correct.  However, I would think the TSSAA will most likely release playoff probabilities this week.  Maybe that will clear things up for all of us.

19 minutes ago, stacmot said:

Haywood is # 1, but I'm in agreement with Odom that  2, 3, and 4 are not set yet!

If Milan beats North Side, both Milan and North Side will have 2 region losses. In the unlikely event that Crockett defeats South Gibson, the Hornets would have 3 loses.  In that case  Milan would own the tiebreaker over North Side making Milan 2 , North Side 3, South Gibson 4

If Milan beats North Side and South Gibson beats Crockett.  Milan, North Side, and South Gibson will finish with 3-2 region records.  The first tie breaker is the most  wins.  Depending on the outcome of this week's games, North Side could finish 6-4 or 5-5, Milan could finish 4-5 or 3-6, South Gibson could finish 6-4 or 7-3.  So it does seem possible that South Gibson (with 7 wins) could finish second, North Side third, Milan fourth.  

A North Side victory over Milan would avoid the 3 way tie and result in the finish you stated.    1. Haywood  2. North Side  3. South Gibson  4. Milan

I'm definitely not saying that my understanding or explanation is correct.  However, I would think the TSSAA will most likely release playoff probabilities this week.  Maybe that will clear things up for all of us.

If there is a 3 way tie where all 3 teams beat each other you are correct most wins is the first tie breaker so South Gibson would be 2. However the remaining two teams would revert back to heads up. So if Milan beats north side then Milan would be 3 and North Side would be 4. 

3 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

If there is a 3 way tie where all 3 teams beat each other you are correct most wins is the first tie breaker so South Gibson would be 2. However the remaining two teams would revert back to heads up. So if Milan beats north side then Milan would be 3 and North Side would be 4. 

I wasn't sure if that would happen or not.  I did mention that I couldn't say my understanding or explanation was correct.  At any rate, the order of finish in the region is not set.