5A AP All-state

Rerun92

6 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Berven from OR got snubbed @ LB too. 150 tackles. Oh well, he’s a Junior, but still.

I would add Cole Adams from Oak Ridge to the snubbed list. A case could also be easily made for OR's QB 1 Mitchell Gibbons. The last 5A game of the season had two starting QBs. Gibbons was one of the two.He outplayed several more hyped QBs on the way to the State Championship.

With all that said, way to go to all the players selected. You all are deserving and thank you for sharing your gifts.

• Thanks 1

29 players, 5 not from East TN, wow!  Summit wins it, gets only 2, only 2!  Beech loses to Summit in the the final 30 seconds, wins 10 games and gets none.  They did have a 1300 yd rusher. Henry County plays Summit tough, gets only 2.  Walker Valley must really be something.  I guess all the people who voted must be from East TN. 

17 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I would add Cole Adams from Oak Ridge to the snubbed list. A case could also be easily made for OR's QB 1 Mitchell Gibbons. The last 5A game of the season had two starting QBs. Gibbons was one of the two.He outplayed several more hyped QBs on the way to the State Championship.

With all that said, way to go to all the players selected. You all are deserving and thank you for sharing your gifts.

Didn't even catch that and agreed on C. Adams: 81 tackles as a DB?!, 4 INTs, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 2 Fumble Recovery TDs. Has a D1 offer plus a dozen others from NAIA, D2s, D3s.

M. Gibbons - Broke just about every passing record in OR, Sr year was impressive considering the running game was non-existent 3/4 of the year. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, UTVol3 said:

LB from WV makes the list but the kid who got LB of the year from Rhea in region 4 did not. WV kid had 85 tackles , Rhea kid had 95. How does WV get 3 picks. WV QB gets it over a mr football finalist at Powell ??? Makes no sense. 

Powell's QB deserved to be on the list IMO.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UTVol3 said:

LB from WV makes the list but the kid who got LB of the year from Rhea in region 4 did not. WV kid had 85 tackles , Rhea kid had 95. How does WV get 3 picks. WV QB gets it over a mr football finalist at Powell ??? Makes no sense. 

Powell QB is only Mr. Football Semifinalist NOT to make All State......Figure that out?  

Prince Kollie David Crockett made the the team as a defensive back. He was Mr. Football 5A, Notre Dame commit at LB and was named the National Dick Butkus Award winner for the best linebacker last week.

Many deserving young men on the list but at the same time one of the more odd All State teams I have observed over the decades.

A note about tackle numbers. My senior year (fall 71) I tied the school record with 17 individual tackles in a single game from the nose and linebacker position. At our Sunday team meeting, my coach looked at me and said in front of the squad, "Before you get the big head they ran the ball at you because they thought they could." We won 7-6.

Edited by noonesfool

1 hour ago, noonesfool said:

Prince Kollie David Crockett made the the team as a defensive back. He was Mr. Football 5A, Notre Dame commit at LB and was named the National Dick Butkus Award winner for the best linebacker last week.

Many deserving young men on the list but at the same time one of the more odd All State teams I have observed over the decades.

A note about tackle numbers. My senior year (fall 71) I tied the school record with 17 individual tackles in a single game from the nose and linebacker position. At our Sunday team meeting, my coach looked at me and said in front of the squad, "Before you get the big head they ran the ball at you because they thought they could." We won 7-6.

Kollie is a great player, but I still question the competition he played through the season as compared to other players. I mean if you put some of the other players in that region, they would have put up video game type numbers. Just my opinion 

13 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

Kollie is a great player, but I still question the competition he played through the season as compared to other players. I mean if you put some of the other players in that region, they would have put up video game type numbers. Just my opinion 

Thats like me saying that if Kollie played on another team in so called other region with better players as you like to put it he would have put up better numbers not being keyed on the entire time having a better team around him.

DC got put out by SD who made it to the Semi's losing 27-20. (It wasn't a blow out).  Kollie put up 2TD's and over a 100 yards rushing against that D who put out your bobcats the next week 21-14.  Kollie never left the field this season and ended up with crazy numbers (181 carries for 1,562 yards and 26 touchdowns. He also had 13 catches for 290 yards and three TDs and completed 10 of 15 passes for 85 yards and led the defense with 109 tackles and also made an interception) because he was the team after graduated Larkins and Hackler

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, UTVol3 said:

https://www.rheaheraldnews.com/sports/article_0eb823f6-4aba-11eb-ab13-c7f04b20ad46.html

Actually the kid from Rhea did make the list.....

It’s all politics. Has been for years. Decent to above average starters for teams that go deep into the playoffs often times make the All-State team over more talented/deserving players who earned it over the season but might have played on the overall worse team. It is what it is. Congrats to the players who made it. Hopefully this will give offseason motivation to those underclass men who felt they were snubbed.