State Rankings

GreeneDevil123

8 minutes ago, pigskinred said:

Brock Vice lived in Germantown and went to GMSD schools before moving to Virginia. When Virginia decided not to have football this year, he moved back to Germantown. He was not recruited. His older sister had gone to Houston before the move. He just came back to where he would have been.

Seems legit to me.  How about the others? 

2 hours ago, SayWhat said:

I disagree about Lawson, to the average Joe or a person who doesn't watch, you don't go undefeated at Hamilton and then come back and win a title with a school that has never won a state in anything in your first year coaching there (Wooddale). Lots of schools get players and they claim those schools have coaches who can coach but they never win or don't win to the level they should. They say Patino at White Station can coach but he has 1 title to show for it I think in 2009 and he had teams with 6-7 D1 players on them the last group being Chris Chiozza, Leron Black, Davell Roby, Curtis, Marvin Williams, Nych Smith and it was one more kid that went to SEMO that was 6'5..that's 7 d1 kids...the group before that may have been even better with Joe Jackson teams, so talent is great to have, very true but it alone doesn't always translate to wins or a title on the high school level. Mitchell had monster teams a few years back led by the late great Jerry Johnson but they didn't win and 1 team had Thad Young and 3 other d1 guys and a guy who could have been d1 but didn't have the grades. They didn't win...

I'm with you on the complainers....I guess they think the TSSSA guys or board members or Childress read and say hey, you know what, such and such with the screen name, "ImASnitch" is right, let's investigate that matter and come up with new rules...talking here does nothing but make you look a lil salty because another team gets players or that coach gets players and your school or the school your son goes too can't beat them when it comes time to.

I'm telling you what a former overseas pro told me that played for him at Hamilton on that undefeated State championship team told me to my face.

As far as Wooddale goes dropping from AAA to AA then adding Chandler Lawson and Jonathan Lawson (both top 100 kids) to the team along with others isn't just coming into a team and getting it to win. I doubt there were any kids from the previous Wooddale team still on the roster. 

I mean the guy that coaches Houston's girls, Ben Moore, never had a winning season at Wooddale. He even had a  0 win season at Wooddale (boys) then he gets hired at Houston and then District and Region titles as well as deep state tournament runs. That's what talent does.

Boo Hunter played for Coach Lawson at Hamilton, a friend of mine and him are real cool. We have had convos and he said, Lawson is a pretty good coach. I can't speak to who you know but I can tell what someone else told me about him and he would know considering he played for him as well. I can tell you what I've seen and he's not bad coach at all, maybe not a guy you like but he's won 2 states and went undefeated, that's not easy and it wasn't just talent because if that's the case, Coach A the previous year had the same team with a lil more talent and as I mentioned, the White Station teams with all those d1, 1 state title to show for it with Patino so coaching is definitely a part of it. Did Ben win the state at Houston? You and I know that answer...Houston has pretty good talent, they were good before he got there, they didn't suck at all. Houston girls always been really competitive going back to the days of the 6'2 white girl that went to Arkansas, her first name is Sarah so they have never been  without talent.  Wooddale, you can say that about them adding the brothers but there were 5-6 players from the previous years on that team that won state that played for AJ the year before. Reason I know, I saw them get beat by 50 the previous year at Wooddale. Same kids, just different coach and 3 new guys who started, everyone else, previous Cardinals.

17 hours ago, SayWhat said:

Boo Hunter played for Coach Lawson at Hamilton, a friend of mine and him are real cool. We have had convos and he said, Lawson is a pretty good coach. I can't speak to who you know but I can tell what someone else told me about him and he would know considering he played for him as well. I can tell you what I've seen and he's not bad coach at all, maybe not a guy you like but he's won 2 states and went undefeated, that's not easy and it wasn't just talent because if that's the case, Coach A the previous year had the same team with a lil more talent and as I mentioned, the White Station teams with all those d1, 1 state title to show for it with Patino so coaching is definitely a part of it. Did Ben win the state at Houston? You and I know that answer...Houston has pretty good talent, they were good before he got there, they didn't suck at all. Houston girls always been really competitive going back to the days of the 6'2 white girl that went to Arkansas, her first name is Sarah so they have never been  without talent.  Wooddale, you can say that about them adding the brothers but there were 5-6 players from the previous years on that team that won state that played for AJ the year before. Reason I know, I saw them get beat by 50 the previous year at Wooddale. Same kids, just different coach and 3 new guys who started, everyone else, previous Cardinals.

Here's the thing about the "good coaching" What's defined here in Memphis as good coaching really isn't good coaching. Good coaches don't always win but they compete every season with the talent they've developed. When you go and watch games of schools here in Memphis offenses aren't run 75% of the time, defenses aren't played correctly at all, people want to set up in a zone and then let the bad offensive bail them out. 

Night in and night out there is more talent on the floor in Memphis than 3/4 of the rest of the country. But the basketball being played in the Pacific Northwest, rural Kentucky, rural Indiana, and other places put the quality to shame.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

Here's the thing about the "good coaching" What's defined here in Memphis as good coaching really isn't good coaching. Good coaches don't always win but they compete every season with the talent they've developed. When you go and watch games of schools here in Memphis offenses aren't run 75% of the time, defenses aren't played correctly at all, people want to set up in a zone and then let the bad offensive bail them out. 

Night in and night out there is more talent on the floor in Memphis than 3/4 of the rest of the country. But the basketball being played in the Pacific Northwest, rural Kentucky, rural Indiana, and other places put the quality to shame.  

Very interesting take on the talent and coaching in the Memphis area. I lack the knowledge to have an opinion myself.

I do think what you said about TN Boys is the opposite for TN Girls. TN girls play a brand of basketball not seen across the country. Our teams are full of great coaching and funamentally sound skills players.

2 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Very interesting take on the talent and coaching in the Memphis area. I lack the knowledge to have an opinion myself.

I do think what you said about TN Boys is the opposite for TN Girls. TN girls play a brand of basketball not seen across the country. Our teams are full of great coaching and funamentally sound skills players.

There is no doubt better coaching on the girls side state wide than there is boys. It's hard to find a group of girls that you can just role the ball out and let them play and win year after year. 

• Like 1

The difference between 6-12 years ago and now is the number of kids that are college players in the state of Tennessee. You could have a bunch of college players on the team and not win it because tons of other schools had a bunch of college players too. Right now when 3 or 4 college players go to the same team it is pretty much game over for the rest of the teams. That is why there is so much focus and attention on the schools that are getting a bunch of college level players going there. If that makes sense?

2 hours ago, WhereYouAt said:

The difference between 6-12 years ago and now is the number of kids that are college players in the state of Tennessee. You could have a bunch of college players on the team and not win it because tons of other schools had a bunch of college players too. Right now when 3 or 4 college players go to the same team it is pretty much game over for the rest of the teams. That is why there is so much focus and attention on the schools that are getting a bunch of college level players going there. If that makes sense?

I understand what you're saying. In basketball if you have 2-3 good solid players (mid-major to D1 talent) and they're surrounded by decent guys (good HS, JUCO, NAIA etc... talent) then you'll win games, alot of them. 

Many coaches tend to get lazy when they have this kind of talent every few years. The talent wins and they don't have to do much as far as practice, game planning, or development. 

What gets them is when they met up with a team that has similar talent but superior coaching. 

I always think of how talented Humboldt was for so long when Boykin was the coach. They were pretty talented when they were in AA but that drop to A left them in a class all their own for a while. He one 1 championship but it should have been many more. At the time his talent level real high for A but they always blundered to UC or at the tournament because of lack of discipline and coaching.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:35 PM, Karl said:

Humboldt used to beat the brakes off of teams like Gleason and South Fulton.  They had there real issues with Manassas.  But Humboldt was very talented!

My first job was at Gleason 07-08. Everybody used to beat the brakes off of us. 

I played against Humboldt from 94-98 in District 13 AA. We never lost a varsity game to them and always played B/Freshman games close or won. Talent wise we didn't belong in the gym with them.