Super 25 Oakland

FBfan26

16 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I think the 1958 Oak Ridge Wildcats won a National Championhip. At least thats what we are taught.

You’re correct. Here’s the link. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_School_Football_National_Championship

And a short write-up about the veracity of it.

http://smithdray1.net/historicallyspeaking/2013/8-6-13 Oak Ridge High School 1958 Championship.pdf

15 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

They may have Willie. I do know for sure they were the state champs in 1958 and played Chattanooga Central on the last game of the season in Oak Ridge which was the big showdown between number one and two in the state and 14,000 were there to watch and OR win 14-6. They also were state champs in 1956 as well.

It’s hard to fathom, but Jackie Pope for OR that year averaged 17.2 yards per carry in the old single wing. Crazy.

19 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

They looked like National Champions against us, congratulations.  I knew that game was off on the wrong tracks for us soon as NFHS came on air and the broadcaster was bringing the game live from the sidelines while asking his daughter to text and let him know if he was coming through live and she never would respond. Talk about facebook lighting up like a Christmas Tree with people madder than wet hornets and I was trying to tell many as possible to turn that joke off and go to MYTV30. By the way Tennessee has had three National Champions before that I know of 1933 Knoxville High Trojans, 1937 Knoxville High Trojans with Johnny Butler a star at UT and 1972 Tennessee High Vikings so Oakland in my book qualifies. Never seen a team beat us like that with a belt and the second half they beat us with the buckle end of it. That's just how far out in front Oakland and their program was last season against any team in the State of Tennessee.

If my memory is correct (I'm getting old):  Maryville scrimmaged Tennessee High in the fall preseason in 1972.  I know scrimmages are just that, scrimmages.  Mayville won the scrimmage and I remember the Tennessee High coach say something like, "Lets go home boys, we've had our #### kicked!"  As Mike Rowe might say, "Anyway, that's the way I heard it"

Edited by OldRebel2

2 hours ago, OldRebel2 said:

If my memory is correct (I'm getting old):  Maryville scrimmaged Tennessee High in the fall preseason in 1972.  I know scrimmages are just that, scrimmages.  Mayville won the scrimmage and I remember the Tennessee High coach say something like, "Lets go home boys, we've had our #### kicked!"  As Mike Rowe might say, "Anyway, that's the way I heard it"

Would this be considered an IFL game played in the IFL League.

49 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Would this be considered an IFL game played in the IFL League.

No, they played, it just wasn't a real game.

The other part of the story, Maryville went undefeated (they tied Kingston 0-0) but they were put out of the playoffs by Ketron, which was another Sullivan County team. Kingston finished runner-up to Trousdale County. Trousdale beat Ketron 30-21.

17 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

No, they played, it just wasn't a real game.

The other part of the story, Maryville went undefeated (they tied Kingston 0-0) but they were put out of the playoffs by Ketron, which was another Sullivan County team. Kingston finished runner-up to Trousdale County. Trousdale beat Ketron 30-21.

Yep, got beat bad 26-0 (I think).  The Rebels didn't look good at all in that game!

Edited by OldRebel2
  • Like 1

#16 USA Today Super25

1. IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Record: 8-0; Last result:  Season over.

2. Duncanville (Texas)

Record: 10-1; Last result: def. DeSoto, 56-28.

3. North Shore (Galena Park, Texas)

Record: 14-0; Last result: def. Ridge Point (Fort Bend), 56-14.

4. Grayson (Loganville, Ga.)

Record: 14-0; Last result: def. Collins Hill, 38-14; Georgia Class AAAAAAA state champions.

5. St. Joseph’s Prep (Philadelphia)

Record: 6-0; Last result: Season over; Pennsylvania Class 6A state champions.

6. Chandler (Ariz.)

Record: 10-0; Last result: Season over; Arizona Open Division state champions.

7. Thompson (Alabaster, Ala.)

Record: 14-0; Last result: Season over; Alabama 7A state champions.

8. St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Record: 8-1; Last result: Season over; Florida Class 7A state champions.

9. Austin Westlake (Texas)

Record: 12-0; Last result: def. Steele (Cibolo), 34-0.

10. Corner Canyon (Draper, Utah)

Record: 14-0; Last result: Season over; Utah Class 6A state champions.

11. Center Grove (Greenwood, Ind.)

Record: 14-0; Last result: Season over; Indiana Class 6A state champions.

12. American Heritage (Plantation, Fla.)

Record: 11-2; Last result: Season over; Florida Class 5A state champions.

13. Katy (Texas)

Record: 11-1; Last result: def. Clear Falls (League City), 51-14.

14. Miami Columbus (Fla.)

Record: 8-0; Last result: Season over. Tri-County Class 8A champions.

15. Trinity (Louisville, Ky.)

Record: 10-0; Last result: def. Male, 28-0; Kentucky Class 6A state champions.

16. Oakland (Murfreesboro, Tenn.)

Record: 15-0; Last result: Season over; Tennessee Division I Class 6A state champions.

17. Dutch Fork (Irmo, S.C.)

Record: 10-0; Last result: Season over; South Carolina Class AAAAA state champions.

18. Carthage (Texas)

Record: 14-0; Last result: finished season as Class 4A DII state champions.

19. Buford (Ga.)

Record: 13-1; Last result: def. Lee County, 34-31 (OT); Georgia Class AAAAAA state champions.

20. Cherry Creek (Greenwood Village, Colo.)

Record: 9-0; Last result: Season over; Colorado Class 5A state champions.

21. Bixby (Okla.)

Record: 11-0; Last result: Season over; Oklahoma Class 6A-II state champions.

22. Cathedral (Indianapolis)

Record: 13-1; Last result: Season over; Indiana Class 5A state champions.

23. Cardinal Gibbons (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)

Record: 8-1; Last result: Season over. Florida Class 4A state champions.

24. Pine-Richland (Gibsonia, Pa.)

Record: 11-0; Last result: Season over; Pennsylvania Class 5A state champions.

25. Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)

Record: 5-1; Last result: Season over.

Edited by GoPats2019

13 hours ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

Your message should read " Oak Ridge has a chance for a mythical national championship with all the returning starters they have coming back.

:roflol:    :roflol::roflol:   :roflol::roflol:

If they still have the dart board like they did in 1958,red boiling springs has a chance for a mythical national championship.:roflolk::roflolk::roflolk:

Edited by Opie Shaggnasty