Fixing and Tweaking the Football Situation

chrisburr

in classes 1A-6A i would leave it at 32 teams, but I would do 8 Automatic Qualifiers (The 8 Region Champs) and 24 Wild Cards (24 best Records), I would do 4 quadrants of teams seeded 1-8, Region champions get first seeding priority, this is to avoid a repeat of what happened this season and to eliminate the everyone gets in thing

DII A and AA 16 Team Playoffs with 2 8 Team Quadrants seeded 1-8 with Region Champs seeding priority

DII AAA All 12 teams qualify and leave as is

Teams with .500 or better records that did not make playoffs can play a bowl game or 2

But thats what needs to happen and should happen and I think will happen

Football definitely needs to be modified with Tweaks thats my solution....

6A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

5A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

4A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

3A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

2A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

1A: 32 Teams (8 Automatic Bids, 24 Wild Cards) 4 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions Having Seeding Priority

DIIA: 16 Teams (3 Automatic Bids, 15 Wild Cards) 2 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions having Seeding Priority

DIIAA: 16 Teams (3 Automatic Bids, 15 Wild Cards) 2 Quadrants Seeded 1-8 with Region Champions having Seeding Priority

DIIAAA: All 12 Teams Qualify

Not that only the Region Champions would be Guaranteed of a playoff spot and are the only ones who get in Automatically!

Up to 2 Bowl Games for .500 Teams that did not make playoff

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

It makes me nervous when anyone starts talking about “wild cards” unless you do like Georgia use to do in Class A and have a pre-determined points system. That way you keep the politics that comes with a committee making the decisions out of it. 

You also have to account for scheduling. Win/loss records can be deceiving at best, and scheduling cupcakes would be the trend to qualify.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:26 AM, chrisburr said:

in classes 1A-6A i would leave it at 32 teams, but I would do 8 Automatic Qualifiers (The 8 Region Champs) and 24 Wild Cards (24 best Records), I would do 4 quadrants of teams seeded 1-8, Region champions get first seeding priority, this is to avoid a repeat of what happened this season and to eliminate the everyone gets in thing

Do you remember the Z-Plan where the TSSAA left a team out that should have been in. Someone noticed and told the TSSAA and they made a late addition. Sullivan South got to travel all the way to Columbia for a first round #1 vs #8 game in 2012. 

I don't like wild cards as a whole. If its just one or two to finish up a bracket, I'm fine with that.