Blackmon Job

FuzzyFootballs44

3 hours ago, chs1984 said:

Could be. I don’t know the man personally, but George Quarles has done well as an asst. at the college level. In fact, he was runner-up for the HC job at UTC. While I have no idea how good Murfreesboro pays its coaches (I do know that Gary Rankin got a big raise when he went to Alcoa), my point was that outside of maybe Brentwood Academy, that there is no high school situation in Tennessee where he would be better off. 

I don't know him either but I would argue that the worst coaches in Tn could win with the amount of talent that Oakland has right now.  They are very simple on Offense and defense but maybe that is the beauty of his coaching.  Keep it simple so those athletes can out athlete other teams

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, chs1984 said:

As for Creasy leaving for greener pastures, it would have to be in another state, a private school or a college job. The grass doesn’t get any greener in Tennessee does it? 

For a public school, no. McDaniel was able to make 2-3x when he got hired at CBHS so I have no doubt Creasy could do the same. 

Everyone loves to point out the fact that Oakland is loaded with talent, which is no doubt true. What people don't mention is they have one of the best coaching staffs in the state

10 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

For a public school, no. McDaniel was able to make 2-3x when he got hired at CBHS so I have no doubt Creasy could do the same. 

Everyone loves to point out the fact that Oakland is loaded with talent, which is no doubt true. What people don't mention is they have one of the best coaching staffs in the state

Would you have said the same things about McDaniels when he left for CBHS?  I am sure a lot of you would have said he is one of the best coaches in the state.   But how has he done at CBHS

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BoroFootball said:

Can most high school HCs coach in college? Does success in HS translate to success in college? Just curious. Seems like most would go if they could 

Good question. You would almost certainly have to start off as an assistant in college (the exception being the infamous Gerry Faust at Notre Dame year’s ago.) Some younger coaches try the college ranks for a couple of years, only to return to high school coaching, usually because they hate being on the road recruiting. That was the case with Benny Monroe, who spent two years on staff at MTSU in the late 70’s, only to return to high school at Cleveland (actually, Monroe accepted the Knoxville Central job first, but resigned a month later when Cleveland came open, but that’s another story for another day.) There was a group that, late in his career,pushed for Monroe to be hired as HC at UTC one time, but they weren’t smart enough to take advantage. 

26 minutes ago, chs1984 said:

Good question. You would almost certainly have to start off as an assistant in college (the exception being the infamous Gerry Faust at Notre Dame year’s ago.) Some younger coaches try the college ranks for a couple of years, only to return to high school coaching, usually because they hate being on the road recruiting. That was the case with Benny Monroe, who spent two years on staff at MTSU in the late 70’s, only to return to high school at Cleveland (actually, Monroe accepted the Knoxville Central job first, but resigned a month later when Cleveland came open, but that’s another story for another day.) There was a group that, late in his career,pushed for Monroe to be hired as HC at UTC one time, but they weren’t smart enough to take advantage. 

Being successful in ones chosen profession has much more to do with being in the right situation at the right time and then having the confidence to walk through the door.  When you look at high school, college and NFL coaching jobs they are completely different and only a very small percentage of coaches could win championships at each level.  At the high school level you can still out coach other teams.  In college if you can not recruit you will not be successful.  In the NFL you must know how to manage egos because their families and agents have all told them how great they are and that they are a super star.

13 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Comparing McDaniel to Creasy is like comparing Phylilis Diller to Raquel Welch.  There is a whole lot of difference there my friend.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cbg said:

Being successful in ones chosen profession has much more to do with being in the right situation at the right time and then having the confidence to walk through the door.  When you look at high school, college and NFL coaching jobs they are completely different and only a very small percentage of coaches could win championships at each level.  At the high school level you can still out coach other teams.  In college if you can not recruit you will not be successful.  In the NFL you must know how to manage egos because their families and agents have all told them how great they are and that they are a super star.

Joey King (Trevor Lawrence’s high school coach) left a great job at Cartersville to try college coaching for two years. Last week he returned to the high school ranks in an even better situation at Carrollton. He is now the highest paid high school coach in Georgia, so I guess you could say it paid off.