New 2021 State Rankings

HawkGuy06

34 minutes ago, SayWhat said:

I told you, the more you talk here, the more you reveal yourself...what do democrats have to do with the SCIAA not playing? Dr.Ray shut down the SCIAA ability to play. If it was the democratic mayor, no one would be playing basketball in Memphis but there several teams playing, just not the SCIAA. That has nothing to do with the city mayor here. That decision was made by Dr.Joris Ray, the Superintendent 

For what reason did Mr Ray shut down the City schools athletic departments from playing sports?  He’s not a doctor he has a doctorate in education which isn’t much more than what I have. But I’m curious what his reason for shutting down was. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

15 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

For what reason did Mr Ray shut down the City schools athletic departments from playing sports?  He’s not a doctor he has a doctorate in education which isn’t much more than what I have. But I’m curious what his reason for shutting down was. 

The same reason we have not been in school face-to-face with our students. Covid-19 has panicked many people. We should really call it a panicdemic. Decisions, good or bad, have been made that we won't see the full affect of for some time down the road. 

As a teacher that decision is well above my pay grade.

Edited by warmachine7954

47 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

The same reason we have not been in school face-to-face with our students. Covid-19 has panicked many people. We should really call it a panicdemic. Decisions, good or bad, have been made that we won't see the full affect of for some time down the road. 

As a teacher that decision is well above my pay grade.

It’s called politics. You cannot classify it as anything else. If it was something  else then why are the kids in Germantown, Jackson, Nashville, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Knoxville and everywhere in between able to attend school, play sports and live relatively normal lives?  COVID-19 isn’t just in the bigger inner cities in this country. It’s called politics. 

15 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

It’s called politics. You cannot classify it as anything else. If it was something  else then why are the kids in Germantown, Jackson, Nashville, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Knoxville and everywhere in between able to attend school, play sports and live relatively normal lives?  COVID-19 isn’t just in the bigger inner cities in this country. It’s called politics. 

I talked to a coaching friend of mine in Nashville and he said they haven't played a game this year.

I believe metro Nashville has not attended class in person all year either.

Politics are a large part of it I'm sure. It's why I stopped coaching.

Again, it's above my pay grade and I'm just being a soldier at this point.

11 minutes ago, warmachine7954 said:

I talked to a coaching friend of mine in Nashville and he said they haven't played a game this year.

I believe metro Nashville has not attended class in person all year either.

Politics are a large part of it I'm sure. It's why I stopped coaching.

Again, it's above my pay grade and I'm just being a soldier at this point.

Understood. Makes no sense to me. All the private schools in Davidson County are playing. Its like they want to continue punishing the kids who have the least and need it the most. Metro city was supposed to start back on the 2nd I heard not sure if that happened. 

13 hours ago, HOOPSGURU said:

Great discussion on State Rankings! 

This is actually much better. 

This years state rankings has got to be the worst there has ever been. Before people looked at records and gave rankings without seeing most of the teams they voted for. 

Then in recent years people got to review some online resources when a team was nationally or regionally ranked. Some probably even watched some video's on Youtube to actually make an educated decision about the actual ability of the team.

This year, with Covid-19, the restrictions, games missed, games cancelled, players not playing or missing games will provide the most sterile guessed at list ever.

That's part of the reason that we are able to divert this conversation because no one else is coming here to discuss the state ranking.

unapproved website state ranking in each class are probably more accurate than the one that is published. 

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

This is actually much better. 

This years state rankings has got to be the worst there has ever been. Before people looked at records and gave rankings without seeing most of the teams they voted for. 

Then in recent years people got to review some online resources when a team was nationally or regionally ranked. Some probably even watched some video's on Youtube to actually make an educated decision about the actual ability of the team.

This year, with Covid-19, the restrictions, games missed, games cancelled, players not playing or missing games will provide the most sterile guessed at list ever.

That's part of the reason that we are able to divert this conversation because no one else is coming here to discuss the state ranking.

unapproved website state ranking in each class are probably more accurate than the one that is published. 

In my opinion state ranking doesn't take into account the level of out of state competition that teams have played (unless its a nationally ranked team like IMG or Monte Verde) and there seems to be a regional bias due to writers voting for the teams they have seen in their coverage areas, reading about a school with a D-1 recruit or just seeing a schools record on CoachT.  

To boil it down, it is up to the teams to prove the rankings wrong. The district standings, based on team performance, matter.

As for the handling of Covid, some calls were good and some bad. I hate it for the players that are not able to play. But, the decisions have been made. 

Enjoy the games that are being played.

1 hour ago, Hubbard said:

To boil it down, it is up to the teams to prove the rankings wrong. The district standings, based on team performance, matter.

As for the handling of Covid, some calls were good and some bad. I hate it for the players that are not able to play. But, the decisions have been made. 

Enjoy the games that are being played.

Since the ranking have absolutely no bearing on any aspect of the season or post season there is nothing to prove wrong.

In high school basketball in TN a 2 big things that all teams have 1, everyone plays in the post season and 2, you can lose but still keep playing until a certain point. 

A team that loses the district regular season can still lose the district tournament, and regional tournament but still be a state champion. 4 games in a row at the right time for a decent or good team can win you the whole thing. 

Rankings=nothing important other than an article in the paper.