Northwest Open

ocac

1 hour ago, FtBallTimeInTN said:

What's the deal with this school? I know Northeast and Clarksville are the better programs in the city, however it seems Northwest has a solid talent base. Why do so many coaches fail to cultivate that talent?

IMO they need a someone who is young and hungry to come take over that program. Someone who can relate to the demographics in that area and can invest the time to turn around that culture. Because it's a gonna be a grind with no parent or administrative support. They have had pretty decent talent over the years and have failed to do anything with it.

1 hour ago, thefootballguru said:

IMO they need a someone who is young and hungry to come take over that program. Someone who can relate to the demographics in that area and can invest the time to turn around that culture. Because it's a gonna be a grind with no parent or administrative support. They have had pretty decent talent over the years and have failed to do anything with it.

You mean like the guy they had in Vernon Wright?

17 hours ago, thefootballguru said:

Stepping stone job. Good place for an up and coming assistant to get his beak wet and some HC experience for the resume, but little else there to offer. Maybe a decent season here or there (they finished 2nd in the region and I think even won a playoff game back in 2009) but not a place for long term success. 

21 hours ago, FtBallTimeInTN said:

What's the deal with this school? I know Northeast and Clarksville are the better programs in the city, however it seems Northwest has a solid talent base. Why do so many coaches fail to cultivate that talent?

For years, The problem with Northwest was it is a location very close to Fort Campbell and is an area that military personnel would live if they chose to live off base.  Very transient area with transfers of soldiers and their families.  You could lose kids in mid season, especially if Fort Knox needed a great tailback or a couple of linemen.  *Wink, Wink  

2 hours ago, MSURacer said:

Stepping stone job. Good place for an up and coming assistant to get his beak wet and some HC experience for the resume, but little else there to offer. Maybe a decent season here or there (they finished 2nd in the region and I think even won a playoff game back in 2009) but not a place for long term success. 

I definitely agree with you on this. I think the peak here is trying to beat clarksville and NE, basically fighting for that second or third spot each year. But I forgot springfield was just added to the region so that's going to make it tough for a lot of clarksville schools.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...