Greeneville Football Schedule Released

Greendevil87

Here is a comparison to last year's schedule. Keep in mind that we have one more non conference game this year than Last because of realignment. 

2020              2021

Betsy.             Betsy 

Sullivan East Sullivan East 

Grainger         Grainger 

Union County. Volunteer 

S. Central.        Seymour 

S. South.           Mo East 

Austin East.      Mo West 

Tenn High.        K. Central 

Daniel Boone.   Oak Ridge

S. Hill.                D B  

Now you can compare which is more Difficult

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Greendevil87 said:

Here is a comparison to last year's schedule. Keep in mind that we have one more non conference game this year than Last because of realignment. 

2020              2021

Betsy.             Betsy 

Sullivan East Sullivan East 

Grainger         Grainger 

Union County. Volunteer 

S. Central.        Seymour 

S. South.           Mo East 

Austin East.      Mo West 

Tenn High.        K. Central 

Daniel Boone.   Oak Ridge

S. Hill.                D B  

Now you can compare which is more Difficult

Good job 87.

• Like 1

Guys, calm down lol....   it's just fun to sometimes stir the pot.

But I would like to see some input on a very serious question:      Does playing a killer schedule make Greeneville better in the playoffs?      If you answer "Yes" then I would like to know why that doesn't work for Boone?      Every year we play Greeneville, Betsy, DB, SH, etc.  but yet we rarely make it out of round 1.   In the past 10 years Boone has been to round 2 twice, round 1 5 times and missed the playoffs 3 times.   Yet every year we play a killer schedule.    What gives???

20 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Guys, calm down lol....   it's just fun to sometimes stir the pot.

But I would like to see some input on a very serious question:      Does playing a killer schedule make Greeneville better in the playoffs?      If you answer "Yes" then I would like to know why that doesn't work for Boone?      Every year we play Greeneville, Betsy, DB, SH, etc.  but yet we rarely make it out of round 1.   In the past 10 years Boone has been to round 2 twice, round 1 5 times and missed the playoffs 3 times.   Yet every year we play a killer schedule.    What gives???

Thoughtful statement question Blazer. I’ve seen Boone in person 3 times over the last 5 years and 2 or 3 dozen times in person over the last 40 years. So here are my random thoughts.

1) it’s harder for a county program to get the resources they need as oppose to special designated school districts such as Maryville, Alcoa, Tullahoma, Greeneville, Oak Ridge, and Betsy. Most counties consist of multiple High Schools.

2) The Janeways, Charlie Coles, are ballers that everybody would love to have, but the Traditional powers have several of them. Betsy and the Devils have produced a ton of D1 prospects.

3) Depth..... it’s a major factor.

4) the little things...... such as splits. Boone has had traditionally huge linemen over the years but have used tight splits and have tried to pound the rock inside. Against the big boys it looks like a mass of humanity and 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Philosophy, we will run the blankety, blank ball against anybody. So everybody’ runs man on the corner and the safety becomes a mlb with a 10 yard run to slam his body into the Boone back.

5) Betsy and the Devils have middle school programs that if those staffs were in HS they would still be called excellent staffs.

6) community expectations. All the little boys run around in Devil Jerseys with their names on the back. Winning begets winning. There is also an alignment from little league through HS. What is your community’s identity? Greeneville’s is the school system, AAA ACADEMICS, the ARTS and ATHLETICS.

7) The weight room and guess what.... Multi Sport athletes that win big in other sports. Basketball, wrestling, soccer, track and baseball. The bar bell is an inanimate object and doesn’t push back. This is your Greene Devils. You don’t have 280 lb stiff legged kids that bench 300. You have big agile athletes that bench 360. 

8) Good kids want to play for winning teams. I’m a baller, we move to Fall Branch. I drive up I81. Do I turn left to big DB or right to little db. I TURN LEFT. Everybody calls it recruiting and it is...... caused by winning, facilities, coaching staffs, recruitment by universities and in many cases believe it or not, ACT and fine arts programs.

Blazer these are just observations and opinions by someone that has journeyed a long time.

Edited by noonesfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blazer I believe it starts from within. They need to get coaches through out pee wee all the way to middle school pulling in the same direction. Plus I know a lot of kid's get trained growing up by a personal trainer. With stuff like speed and agility training. A lot of the problems I have seen with Boone over the year's is not enough athlete's on the outside and not enough speed. Beside the agility training I don't really know a fix for this problem. As far as the tuff schedule preparing for the playoffs. I think it can help if you are on the same level athletically as your playoff opponents. I think it helps you mentally knowing you have played team's as good as the one's you see in the playoffs. But if you don't have the same speed or athleticism as the playoff team's then I don't believe a tuff schedule helps at All. Because at the end of the Day you have to be able to line up against them and compete 

• Upvote 1

All good answers guys, very insightful.       I think we can come away from this discussion with the following thoughts:

1)   For the teams who have all the pieces in place, the teams who are really serious about football (Betsy, Greeneville, etc.), playing tough competition makes them much better and prepares them for the playoffs and is in fact a necessary component of their greatness.

2)  For everybody else (the other 95% of schools) it really doesn't matter who you play, you are most likely going to get bounced in round 1 regardless.

23 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

All good answers guys, very insightful.       I think we can come away from this discussion with the following thoughts:

1)   For the teams who have all the pieces in place, the teams who are really serious about football (Betsy, Greeneville, etc.), playing tough competition makes them much better and prepares them for the playoffs and is in fact a necessary component of their greatness.

2)  For everybody else (the other 95% of schools) it really doesn't matter who you play, you are most likely going to get bounced in round 1 regardless.

Well, you don’t quit. It’s up to the community. Get involved. Set a meeting up with the Head FB Coach and AD. DON’T discuss players or formations, but what can I do in the community to help the program.

Anderson County is hitting the mark on a lot of the points I mentioned. Plus Boone is not that rural. Solid middle class suburban on that side of the county. On the other hand special things are taking place at a rural county school called Crockett. It is begnning to resemble my list.

Edited by noonesfool
N

2 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Well, you don’t quit. It’s up to the community. Get involved. Set a meeting up with the Head FB Coach and AD. DON’T discuss players or formations, but what can I do in the community to help the program.

Anderson County is hitting the mark on a lot of the points I mentioned. Plus Boone is not that rural. Solid middle class suburban on that side of the county. On the other hand special things are taking place at a rural county school called Crockett. It is begnning to resemble my list.

Great stuff Coach!  Mindset is a huge part and believing you can win at a young age.  I grew up wanting to be a Greene Devils at a very young age watching Jasmine Lowery, Jason Champion, Alex Brice, Byron Gillespie, Aaron Christian, etc.  

I was in the middle of that Culture Change that happens in 2007 with the hire of McCurry and the jump was crazy.  From having a losing record the year before to making it to the Quarter Finals.  Weight training was mandatory, Devil Camp Started, and our mindset had changed.  We knew walking on the field every time we could win any game we played up to our potential in.  I wonder from time to time how good we could have been if we had all 4 years of training like we did my Senior year.  10-3 wasn’t bad after finishes 4-6 and losing to  Crockett the previous year.  It’s not rocket science, it takes a whole community, school, and coaching staff buying in.  Is it easy? No and takes a lot of sacrifice as a high school student but it can been done and Greeneville was a great example of that when it happens.

• Upvote 1