What if Tennessee went Hoosier on us?

WilleTheWildcat

On 1/19/2021 at 2:34 PM, Greenfieldfan said:

Single A Greenfield would have won the overall Champion last year. They were the best team of the three classes for sure.  (A - AA - AAA)

Also beat the Private State Champ. TCA

I don’t know about that, I’m not convinced they would have won 1A

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I'm not sure that teams/coaches would buy in either. Would you enjoy winning a championship in AA/AAA and potentially losing to a lower classification team in the TOC? Would definitely tarnish the shine of the gold ball.

I wouldn't want to tarnish  a Gold Ball. Those things are so hard to win.

1 hour ago, WilleTheWildcat said:

I wouldn't want to tarnish  a Gold Ball. Those things are so hard to win.

It does remove some importance. Either teams are going to be focused on winning State or TOC. Can't focus and expend maximum effort to do both. In a vacuum, a TOC would be a great idea, especially for fans; but in practice, there is a lot you have to take into account physically and mentally. It is a grind to make a deep playoff run, let alone win state.

It wouldn't remove all the importance of winning state. That would obviously still be an accomplishment. But, it would no longer be the penultimate achievement, as it should. 

The only way I'd ever see having a single champion in the state would be to get rid of classifications, like KY. That won't happen, as we are only adding more. Too many teams would be mad. TSSAA wouldn't make extra money from it. No incentive.