Most Appealing Job?

FuzzyFootballs44

19 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Well think about this.... Turf field cost about 750k installed .. its not financed, but paid for by donors, sponsors, fundraisers, advertising spots... How much is paid for by soccer, band, track very little if any... so yes football brings in the most money....not to mention sports wear and merchandising or concessions..... and yes they help offset the cost of some other sports. 

In Metro Nashville, every sport is self-sufficient. You are responsible for all costs incurred by your sport. School system pays for nothing except coaching stipends. All equipment, officials, uniforms etc. are paid for by each individual sport. Was not always like that, but it is now. That being said, if you have a good source of fund raising revenue it is your program's to keep also.

Covid has caused a huge problem with this however, and the district this year has decided to pick up the cost of officials for each sport. No idea where those funds are coming from. 

From my experience football, and to a certain extent basketball, does pay most of the bills. Secondary sports also depend a lot on fundraisers. Fundraisers can be successful in football also. At one school I was at, we had a $4000 deficit in football when we took over. When we left 6 year’s later, the program was very much in the black. 

21 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Well think about this.... Turf field cost about 750k installed .. its not financed, but paid for by donors, sponsors, fundraisers, advertising spots... How much is paid for by soccer, band, track very little if any... so yes football brings in the most money....not to mention sports wear and merchandising or concessions..... and yes they help offset the cost of some other sports. 

Turf field? You’re just trying to get me going. Lol.

The heat and air for the gym modernization isn’t cheap either and neither are baseball/softball turf fields. I see and agree with your point though. I assume that football has better chances to raise so much more money that they are about the only sport that COULD share much with the others. I think some systems operate a little different than others. I hear cheerleader fees are xtra steep in some systems.

2 hours ago, strongx said:

Turf field? You’re just trying to get me going. Lol.

The heat and air for the gym modernization isn’t cheap either and neither are baseball/softball turf fields. I see and agree with your point though. I assume that football has better chances to raise so much more money that they are about the only sport that COULD share much with the others. I think some systems operate a little different than others. I hear cheerleader fees are xtra steep in some systems.

they are quite hefty at Blackman from what I understand. 

On 1/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, MichaelMyers76 said:

In Metro Nashville, every sport is self-sufficient. You are responsible for all costs incurred by your sport. School system pays for nothing except coaching stipends. All equipment, officials, uniforms etc. are paid for by each individual sport. Was not always like that, but it is now. That being said, if you have a good source of fund raising revenue it is your program's to keep also.

Covid has caused a huge problem with this however, and the district this year has decided to pick up the cost of officials for each sport. No idea where those funds are coming from. 

Exact opposite in Shelby County. Schools pay the officials from the gate, then pay a % to the Shelby County Interscholastic Athletic Association, then split what's left of the gate with the opposing team 50/50. Gate workers are paid by the SCIAA but it all comes from the % they receive from the schools. Tickets are $8 at the gate but schools are allowed to presell tickets to games for $5 and they get to keep 100% of the presale money.

There are many Friday nights where schools lose money playing football games. Some even lose money for the whole season. 

Schools that bring in good money literally fund not only other sports in their school but other sports at other schools in the district. Some schools wouldn't have programs at all if they relied on their own gate/fundraising. 

When an SCS school plays a team out of the SCS system is when they make the money that they don't have to share. Germantown and Houston/Collierville in recent years have pulled in $15,000+ that was huge for Germantown. Last year Houston and Collierville decided not to play Germantown. That was a huge blow financially. 

Edited by warmachine7954

On 1/21/2021 at 4:57 PM, chs1984 said:

If you will indulge me, there is a long, but very interesting story here. 7 years ago when the very successful Coach Rayvan Teague retired at Carrollton, Joey King was his OC. The community and players wanted King to get the job, but the school board was reluctant to give such a high profile job to someone with no HC experience. They went on to hire veteran Coach Ed Dudley from South Georgia. Meanwhile, nearby powerhouse Cartersville took a chance and hired King as HC. Two years later, after the worst two year stretch in Carrollton football history, Dudley resigned in lieu of termination. Meanwhile, Cartersville won the state championship in King’s 2nd year. Carrollton put together a massive financial package to try and lure King back, but he turned them down and went on to win another state title the following season. Carrollton then turned to (get this) a coach with no HC experience when they hired Rush Propst’s OC Sean Calhoun. In 5 seasons Calhoun lost in the quarterfinals 5 times. That won’t get it at Carrollton. Plus, the situation between him and the AD had deteriorated to the point where one had to go. It came to a head during the first game this season when the two had to be separated by asst. coaches on the sideline during the game. They had another major run-in the week before their quarterfinal loss. When the Vestevia Hills, Al. Job opened, Calhoun took it and got out just prior to being dismissed. Determined not to lose out on King this time, they reportedly will pay him in the $200,000 neighborhood. King, who was now on the staff at South Florida Univ., accepted Carrollton’s offer on Monday. 

King did have a kid named Trevor Lawrence that helped out a bit lol.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:51 PM, warmachine7954 said:

Without football and basketball providing the money for other sports could schools have volleyball and softball teams? That's where Title IX comes in. If a school only offered boys basketball then they would have to offer a girls sport too. 

Can't have equal opportunity if the other opportunity doesn't fund itself.

Agreed

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Is there any school system in TN in which this isn’t the same MO?

Edited by TomLHS