Sycamore Open Again

topnight

On 2/28/2021 at 8:07 AM, ChineseFlu said:

I agree, I was just saying that a non certified teacher can not have the title of head coach

The TSSAA requirements have changed over the last few years to allow non faculty head coaches at public schools

2020-21 TSSAA Handbook

Section 9. All coaches must be registered with TSSAA annually and will fall under one of the following categories:

1. Full-time certified teacher (a minimum of 100 school days) of a board of education with a Tennessee teaching license or the equivalent.

2. Retired educator (five or more years' experience) with a valid Tennessee state teaching license or the equivalent.

3. Non-faculty coach – Anyone approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of education in the normal course of employment procedures in accordance with applicable state law.

4. Classified Employee – Any individual employed by a member school or school system in a position that does not require a teaching license or the equivalent. A Classified Employee must be employed 30 hours or more per week in a non-coaching position and may not be an independent contractor or an employee of an independent contractor.

and in their FAQ

Q. Can a non-faculty coach or a classified employee be a head coach?

A. Yes. Provided they have successfully completed the NFHS “Fundamentals of Coaching” and “First Aid, Health, & Safety for Coaches” courses OR the ASEP Coaches Education Course in a TSSAA-approved course combined with the TSSAA Online Coaches Training Session prior to May 15, 2013 and have been proper submitted to the TSSAA office.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:07 PM, howdoitknow said:

That's been a battle now for 18 years (since 2003).  I've been more opinionated than most regarding the challenges that the coaches in Cheatham County have to overcome just to have any semblance of a "level playing field."  There have been so many great coaches in many sports (not just football) who have coached kids and impacted their lives for the better.  Anyone who takes on the challenge to coach at Sycamore, Harpeth, or Cheatham County Central should be commended and given the greatest amount of support from the communities.  

If you are sincere, and have been opinionated without the desired result, take it to the next level and run for your district's school board seat. Kids need advocates, not politicians. 

On 3/4/2021 at 9:55 PM, tradertwo said:

If you are sincere, and have been opinionated without the desired result, take it to the next level and run for your district's school board seat. Kids need advocates, not politicians. 

Thanks for the advice but I honestly stopped griping about this situation years ago when it was no longer my battle to fight.  For 7 years now I have competed against the three schools from my home county (4 at SCHS and 3 at FVHS).  I've seen several friends and some former coaches try to take on the challenges of coaching in the county with limited resources/support.  They've all done it for the right reasons and have all made a difference in countless student-athletes lives in the process. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, Plugged said:

If you have ever been unfortunate enough to be around Mark Hall you would understand why. Mark was lucky he kept any of his assistant coaches. 

Sycamore is in much better hands with Harrison leading the program. 

Hall should come and ask our coach for a job so he can be part of a winning team.  I cant wait until we smash Sycamore this year.  The Cubs will own the county this year