Successful Booster Clubs

Just curious, what makes a successful booster club for high school football from your perspective? Don't remember ever seeing a thread or discussion on the topic here and what better is there to talk about during the off season.

Any "out of the box" fundraiser ideas that have been successful other than the run of the mill things? Programs that help the kids better their lives after football? Seems like it could be a fun discussion that will maybe lead to ideas that could help make your respective kids and coaches lives better during and after football.

5 minutes ago, ChargerFootball said:

Just curious, what makes a successful booster club for high school football from your perspective? Don't remember ever seeing a thread or discussion on the topic here and what better is there to talk about during the off season.

Any "out of the box" fundraiser ideas that have been successful other than the run of the mill things? Programs that help the kids better their lives after football? Seems like it could be a fun discussion that will maybe lead to ideas that could help make your respective kids and coaches lives better during and after football.

IMO it's when you have at least 4 or 5 parents from every grade level that keeps your program rolling year in and year out. It's so much of a headache for a HC  when having to put together a booster every year no consistency. I think when parents are involved and buy in and take ownership that's when you will see successful booster clubs. I also think it's pretty good good to have some loyal alum to be part of the booster because that definitely builds tradition and they just want what's best for the kids and program.

One fundraiser I've always thought about doing was dads or football mom flag football game. I think it would be fun and the kids would love it especially in a small community, 

Just now, thefootballguru said:

IMO it's when you have at least 4 or 5 parents from every grade level that keeps your program rolling year in and year out. It's so much of a headache for a HC  when having to put together a booster every year no consistency. I think when parents are involved and buy in and take ownership that's when you will see successful booster clubs. I also think it's pretty good good to have some loyal alum to be part of the booster because that definitely builds tradition and they just want what's best for the kids and program.

One fundraiser I've always thought about doing was dads or football mom flag football game. I think it would be fun and the kids would love it especially in a small community, 

Good points all the way around. I agree completely. I have always thought that (in a perfect world) you would have great parent involvement, but also need great alum support; preferably at the  helm, just to keep emotion at bay between parents and playing time etc..

Parent involvement seems to be an issue with other booster clubs i've had discussion with. Always seems to be the same handful of parents involved.

4 minutes ago, ChargerFootball said:

Good points all the way around. I agree completely. I have always thought that (in a perfect world) you would have great parent involvement, but also need great alum support; preferably at the  helm, just to keep emotion at bay between parents and playing time etc..

Parent involvement seems to be an issue with other booster clubs i've had discussion with. Always seems to be the same handful of parents involved.

Being that I minored in sociology something just popped in my head lol. I think one reason parent involvement has been down these days is because of the single households that the kids are being raised in. mainly the moms don't have time when taking care of kids and trying to work at the sametime. Back in the day you'd see the moms all around the football programs helping in their free time because of a two household income but in today's society it just doesn't seem feasible.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, thefootballguru said:

Being that I minored in sociology something just popped in my head lol. I think one reason parent involvement has been down these days is because of the single households that the kids are being raised in. mainly the moms don't have time when taking care of kids and trying to work at the sametime. Back in the day you'd see the moms all around the football programs helping in their free time because of a two household income but in today's society it just doesn't seem feasible.  

Also depends on what state you are talking about lol

I’ve wondered how many teams have those cards that has discounts that you sell? Previous years, numerous amounts of teams in West Tennessee would have cards to sell, and each player is responsible to sell a particular amount. Personally, I hated doing that type of selling because we would always go to the same people, and it got to be annoying.

• Upvote 1

The Covington Gridiron Association has done a good job for our football program. We have active parents who are involved, but in Tipton County, you also need to get the local businesses involved. I did that when I was running my own business.

I'm way past the parenting age myself (my baby is 41) and am retired from business, but I maintain my membership in the Gridiron and occasionally donate to help fund special projects. Local businesses are key financial backers of the program.