Who is the best team in Single A

GreeneDevil123

3 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Madison and Humboldt will both be tough outs for any team. I believe last year’s championship game would have been between Clay and Booker T. Clay County is even better this year. Strong for Clay is your Mr Basketball for Class A. They are loaded and have a deep bench. Pickett County is the team that can beat anyone on a given night. They had two brothers transfer in at the beginning of the year and they are very good players. Should be a great tournament. 

“Strong for Clay is your Mr Basketball for Class A.” I don’t believe that to be true.. Watch film, watch their highlights either 1..strong is real good and a year younger, but right now Trey Johnson is the best Single A basketball player in the state 

5 hours ago, CosbyTradition said:

“Strong for Clay is your Mr Basketball for Class A.” I don’t believe that to be true.. Watch film, watch their highlights either 1..strong is real good and a year younger, but right now Trey Johnson is the best Single A basketball player in the state 

Strong stats are much better from what I’ve heard of Johnson’s . He may well be in the conversation, but  I will put money on Clay County playing the more difficult schedule.  Cosby year in and out comes into to the tourney with 1 or no losses and I can’t ever remember them getting outta the first round. That tells me they play little to no competition and aren’t ready when they get to that big of a stage. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts22

6 hours ago, CosbyTradition said:

I appreciate your input and I’m sure this young man deserves all the recognition he gets!  However his team has a losing record and plays the 32nd toughest schedule compare to Clay County having only 2 losses and the 3rd toughest schedule. Strongs stats are better against tougher competition/opponents so there really isn’t a comparison in my book but that’s just my opinion. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

6 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

I appreciate your input and I’m sure this young man deserves all the recognition he gets!  However his team has a losing record and plays the 32nd toughest schedule compare to Clay County having only 2 losses and the 3rd toughest schedule. Strongs stats are better against tougher competition/opponents so there really isn’t a comparison in my book but that’s just my opinion. 

Please don't tell me you're using CoachT for strength of schedule rankings for this comparison, If you are then Clay County's schedule is ranked 57th and Cosby is ranked 20th.  (You were looking at Success Rank not Schedule rank).  Cosby has had the tougher schedule by far and their record reflects that too.  They haven't lost to a Single A team and their losses have came to Knox Catholic, Morristown East, Jefferson County, Scott, Maryville Christian, Elizabethton,  Grainger, Pigeon Forge, and Greeneville.  Both players stats are similar for the year but Cosby has played the tougher competition going by your own rankings you were trying to use.  Both are Great Players.  Clay County in my opinion has the better team but Cosby is Trey Johnson.  So does Johnson playing better competition than Strong change your opinion then? 

Stats

Grant Strong, Clay County, Jr.

Stats: 32.3 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 4.1 apg, 2.4 spg

Trey Johnson, Cosby, Sr. 

Stats: 29 ppg, 9 rpg, 4 apg

Edited by Swipes

7 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Strong stats are much better from what I’ve heard of Johnson’s . He may well be in the conversation, but  I will put money on Clay County playing the more difficult schedule.  Cosby year in and out comes into to the tourney with 1 or no losses and I can’t ever remember them getting outta the first round. That tells me they play little to no competition and aren’t ready when they get to that big of a stage. 

There stats are almost identical with Strong Avg. 3 more points a game.  I’m all for Easy Money because Cosby has played the tougher schedule per CoachT by a long shot and you need to look at the teams that Cosby has played. Success against these teams aren’t great but they have definitely played a tougher schedule. Do I believe Clay is the better team, yes but  Johnson is Cosby.  

7 hours ago, Swipes said:

There stats are almost identical with Strong Avg. 3 more points a game.  I’m all for Easy Money because Cosby has played the tougher schedule per CoachT by a long shot and you need to look at the teams that Cosby has played. Success against these teams aren’t great but they have definitely played a tougher schedule. Do I believe Clay is the better team, yes but  Johnson is Cosby.  

I've seen both play many times Johnson isn't the best player in his own region .. Meredith Is better from UH ... he is nice from a highlight reel stand point .. but give me the other starting a team 

9 hours ago, GreeneDevil101992 said:

I've seen both play many times Johnson isn't the best player in his own region .. Meredith Is better from UH ... he is nice from a highlight reel stand point .. but give me the other starting a team 

So you have had the time to watch players play this season while also following NG during the year?  in your opinion what makes Strong better than Johnson then?  Meredith is a great player and had stats on par with Strong and Johnson but played a Horrible schedule and didn't even make it to region (Hard to be the best player in your region when you didn't even make it to regions) with Unaka putting them out first game a team that UH beat by almost 30 the time before.

Edited by Swipes

8 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Well said from someone who has seen both play. End of discussion. 

Really you are going to use the "Well this guy said it" so end of discussion.  You are pretty knowledgeable on these boards when it comes to basketball so at least come up with something better than that.  You tried to use the strength of schedule which back fired because you were wrong when comparing stats against better teams.  Clay County is the better team like I said.  Johnson has put up almost the same numbers against better competition, so thats going to be hard refute 

45 minutes ago, Swipes said:

So you have had the time to watch players play this season while also following NG during the year?  in your opinion what makes Strong better than Johnson then?  Meredith is a great player and had stats on par with Strong and Johnson but played a Horrible schedule and didn't even make it to region (Hard to be the best player in your region when you didn't even make it to regions) with Unaka putting them out first game a team that UH beat by almost 30 the time before.

I have watched them play many times over the years yes plus my son plays and I am friends with some coaches so I have hudl access.I'm not knocking Johnson at all he's a great player but have you seen UH come on the other players are a good Jv team at best and he kept them in it on a nightly basis seeing 2-3 defenders his sophomore and junior year they won when he had a suitable team . to me he is more efficient and a smarter player than Johnson .. I can't speak on strong because I have only seen him a couple times .. but from what I've heard he's longer and shoots it better .. I get your schedule point but the great teams they have played have all Been blowouts .. and can't get over the hump against the good teams 

3 hours ago, GreeneDevil123 said:

I have watched them play many times over the years yes plus my son plays and I am friends with some coaches so I have hudl access.I'm not knocking Johnson at all he's a great player but have you seen UH come on the other players are a good Jv team at best and he kept them in it on a nightly basis seeing 2-3 defenders his sophomore and junior year they won when he had a suitable team . to me he is more efficient and a smarter player than Johnson .. I can't speak on strong because I have only seen him a couple times .. but from what I've heard he's longer and shoots it better .. I get your schedule point but the great teams they have played have all Been blowouts .. and can't get over the hump against the good teams 

I've seen Meredith play over the years also and like a said a great player. (Better at Baseball than basketball in my opinion).  Your response was to me when Meredith isn't even in the Mr. Basketball conversation and saying you have seen both play many times when we were comparing Strong and Johnson which confused UCSports Fan because how you worded it made it sound like you had seen both play many times this year when you were in fact  talking about Meredith and Johnson that you had seen play several times.

Cosby has played teams that would Mop the floor with anyone in A basketball and he still put up numbers was the point against better competition.  Mr. Basketball is Stats driven and who you have played and why I think Johnson was chosen over Meredith for a Mr. Basketball Finalist.  Both Players have made it to state and could say both players couldn't get over the Hump with both getting put out in Round 1 when both were there.

Pardon me for using football as an example for strength and success  rankings. Even at the end of the season, the state champs are often ranked several places below teams that they have beaten 5 touchdowns. It’s a simple flawed mathematical formula that does not have eyeballs or consider point differences among other things. But it’s still fun.

Edited by noonesfool