Who still remembers these East Tennessee Teams that are long gone and last year played.

BarneySox2007

LaFollette Owls 75, Jacksboro Eagles 75, Everett Bulldogs 76, Walland Indians 76, Townsend Tigers 76, Young Yellow Jackets 75, Knox South Rockets 75, Rhea Central Yellow Jackets 73, Huntsville Golden Bears 70, Englewood Rams 65, Etowah Piledrivers 65, Spring City Bulldogs 73, Lanier Eagles 78, Porter Panthers 78, Friendsville Falcons 78, Jefferson City Elks 74, Maury Hornets 74, Gatlinburg Mountain Lions 62, South Harriman Pirates 62, Homestead Bulldogs 61,Knoxville High Trojans 50, Stair Tech Tigers 50, Knox East Mountaineers 67, Austin Panthers 67, Hall Blue Devils 67, Church Hill Panthers 79, Ketron Wildcats 79, Sullivan Pirates 79, Rogersville Warriors 79, Lynn View Lynx 79, Boones Creek Bars 70, Lake City Lakers 82, Jonesboro Tigers 70, Rule Golden Bears 90, Knox Holston Warriors 90, Knox South-Young Trojans 90, Knox Doyle Pioneers 90, Maynardville Red Devils 92, Harrison-Chilhowee Lions 92, Vonore Blue Devils 94, Madisonville Tornadoes 94, Powell Valley Indians 03, Rutledge Pioneers 07, Charleston Panthers 2000.

Barney, you have always seem to have a soft spot for ole’ Ketron High. So here is a Ketron Story. I played for Science Hill, graduated in 72. But in 1968, I was a 14 year old freshman at North Jr. High (long gone) in JC and we scrimmaged the Ketron Freshmen. 
our coach told us don’t worry they have 5 or 6 sophomores playing due to numbers. We were up 2 tds and new players kept coming out of the field house. A half an hour later our and Ketron coaches were yelling at each other and we got back on the bus up 5 tds to 2.

After awhile Coach May started laughing and stated we just beat a dozen Frosh, 8 or 9 sophomores, several juniors and a Senior.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

LaFollette Owls 75, Jacksboro Eagles 75, Everett Bulldogs 76, Walland Indians 76, Townsend Tigers 76, Young Yellow Jackets 75, Knox South Rockets 75, Rhea Central Yellow Jackets 73, Huntsville Golden Bears 70, Englewood Rams 65, Etowah Piledrivers 65, Spring City Bulldogs 73, Lanier Eagles 78, Porter Panthers 78, Friendsville Falcons 78, Jefferson City Elks 74, Maury Hornets 74, Gatlinburg Mountain Lions 62, South Harriman Pirates 62, Homestead Bulldogs 61,Knoxville High Trojans 50, Stair Tech Tigers 50, Knox East Mountaineers 67, Austin Panthers 67, Hall Blue Devils 67, Church Hill Panthers 79, Ketron Wildcats 79, Sullivan Pirates 79, Rogersville Warriors 79, Lynn View Lynx 79, Boones Creek Bars 70, Lake City Lakers 82, Jonesboro Tigers 70, Rule Golden Bears 90, Knox Holston Warriors 90, Knox South-Young Trojans 90, Knox Doyle Pioneers 90, Maynardville Red Devils 92, Harrison-Chilhowee Lions 92, Vonore Blue Devils 94, Madisonville Tornadoes 94, Powell Valley Indians 03, Rutledge Pioneers 07, Charleston Panthers 2000.

How about the black schools?

8 hours ago, noonesfool said:

How about the black schools?

Austin Panthers 67 in Knoxville and Hall Blue Devils 67 in Alcoa. A lot of those schools were so small they couldn't field a team. Maryville had a school named Hale High School which did play basketball I believe but to small to have a football team.  Looking back on old schedules I have back into the 50's and 60's Austin traveled a lot out of state and to Memphis, Chattanooga, Huntsville AL., Augusta GA., Greenville SC, Birmingham AL and Macon GA not to mention they played their alumni in a game to make an 8 game schedule. Austin was coached by G.H. Lennon for many years and just a few years ago Alcoa High honored Hall High School on the 50th anniversary by wearing their replica jersey in one of their games.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, noonesfool said:

Barney, you have always seem to have a soft spot for ole’ Ketron High. So here is a Ketron Story. I played for Science Hill, graduated in 72. But in 1968, I was a 14 year old freshman at North Jr. High (long gone) in JC and we scrimmaged the Ketron Freshmen. 
our coach told us don’t worry they have 5 or 6 sophomores playing due to numbers. We were up 2 tds and new players kept coming out of the field house. A half an hour later our and Ketron coaches were yelling at each other and we got back on the bus up 5 tds to 2.

After awhile Coach May started laughing and stated we just beat a dozen Frosh, 8 or 9 sophomores, several juniors and a Senior.

My memories of Ketron was the 72 whipping we got from them which I didn't play on that team but Maryville couldn't hold onto the ball what's so ever and just gave that game a way from the very start. The game I played in we won at Ketron in a freeze your butt off muddy field and it pouring snow. I forgot to bring anything to wear under my jersey which was a mesh material and I thought I was going to die from frostbite. I still shiver when I think about that night. Their uniforms were exactly like the Kentucky Wildcats .

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Oh wow!Some Memories here.I played against Maynardville,Harrison- Chilhowee,Vonore,Madisonville,Powell Valley,Rutledge and Charleston.Just driving by alot of those fields where rec league ball is played makes me pull over and reminisce.Hard to believe some of them are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haydiboy said:

Most  of those  rec league team are middle school teams now. Englewood rams and etowah knights formed mcminn central middle school team and athens hawks, Riceville wildcats,and Rogers creek warriors from mcminn west middle school team. 

When I coached rec ball 12 years ago most were all rec,boy things have changed.