Shot clock

UTRok

10 hours ago, UTRok said:

Everything you said can also be said with the shot clock. Clock doesn't stop but it does reset in certain situations. With the clock the defense must guard you all the time or give up easy baskets. I think the only reason it's not being used is the cost associated with it. 

There is cost but you also have to find a person to run it for all of the home games. No you don't have to guard the ball all the time. You just have to guard long enough and well enough for 30-40 seconds. Part of that is taken up when you're bringing the ball up. Plus, the way everyone runs and presses in today's game people take quick shots any way. 

8 hours ago, UTRok said:

Yes I would like to see it in use. Agree the cost and operator is a large challenge. I would think there would be little disruption in most high school games but it would take some getting used to. Don't see it happening anytime soon.

HS basketball follows the trends of college and NBA more than people realize. The shot clock was invented to pick up the pace of games and draw more fans. 

HS basketball's purpose isn't for entertainment or for fans. 

• 2 weeks later...

There are arguments on both sides.    

1) There is strategy with and without the shot clock. Strategy without is shortening the game by keeping the clock running and in your possession.  Nothing wrong with that.  There are definitely times for it.  Strategy with a shot clock would be packing defense in (zone or packline man) until the shot clock gets down (under 10) and then playing defense from that point. Neither are good or bad.  Just strategy. 

2) The average scores will actually be lower with a shot clock.  The reason is there will be more poor quality shots attempted because the offense has to shoot it.  Thus, the defense knows when they will shoot. Also, goes back to the strategy I mentioned earlier.  

3) More 1v1 high ball screen.... late clock situation, NBA, college, FIBA, EUROLeagues, any basketball league..... late clock, give the ball to your best player and PNR to try to free him up or exploit a mismatch.   

4) Cost would be an issue... but not as much as people think.  The real issue is the quality of control with the clock operator itself.  Many times NBA and college games have to have replay to determine the shot clock reset, etc.  HS doesn't have replay.... unless that's the next thing they decide to put in place for HS to be more like college/NBA. 

5) NBA is different than college.  College is different than HS.  I think it's good.  No need to change to make it the same.  Yes, HS basketball is entertaining, but no need to make it all about the entertainment or money.  It's about the kids.  

6) Lastly, and most importantly.......... scores like 6-4 are more on the defense than the offense.  The ball is the most important thing in the game. If a team is holding the ball, and you want it, you must do something to try to get it.  If not, be content to let them hold it.  It's on the defense.  I don't like the thought that the defense doesn't have to do anything to make the offense shoot... just stay in a zone and the time will run out... that's not good basketball. Guarantee there will be more zone played in basketball if there is a shot clock. 

Might have been a different score if a shot clock was in use at the 2021 Obion County vs South Side Region 7 semi final game. SS won 42 - 30. It was only the 2nd time that the high flying Hawks had been held to less than 50 points in a game.

Obion Coach Ralph Turner admitted they could not run with South Side and have a chance to win. So on 2 different points in the game, Obion literally stood still with the ball for almost 2 minutes each time.

Eventually the South Side crowd voiced their displeasure by chanting "They scared" and the Obion players got visibly nervous.

South Side began to attack the stall and forced Obion mistakes.

Thank goodness we now know how to attack a 4-corners stall tactic.

We thought we'd win, just didn't know by how much.

#HereComesTheCloser

2 hours ago, HereComesTheCloser said:

Might have been a different score if a shot clock was in use at the 2021 Obion County vs South Side Region 7 semi final game. SS won 42 - 30. It was only the 2nd time that the high flying Hawks had been held to less than 50 points in a game.

Obion Coach Ralph Turner admitted they could not run with South Side and have a chance to win. So on 2 different points in the game, Obion literally stood still with the ball for almost 2 minutes each time.

Eventually the South Side crowd voiced their displeasure by chanting "They scared" and the Obion players got visibly nervous.

#HereComesTheCloser

I knew I would see a South Side poster on here, would you mind posting about South Side football in the fall?

23 hours ago, HereComesTheCloser said:

#HereComesTheCloser

So South Side let OC hold the ball for two minutes? If OC was scared why didn't South Side go guard them? Sounds like South Side was scared. Holding the ball for 2 minutes didn't keep South Side from scoring 50 pts. 32 minutes in a game, divide 42/32 and your get 1.4 pts per minute. South Side would have scored 45 pts at that rate. 

It is not the offenses job to attack the defense. It is the defenses job to protect their basket. If the offense can hold onto the ball an the defense cannot make them take a bad shot or turn them over then the defense isn't very good.

The shot clock gives an advanteage to teams that want to run and gun.

8 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

If OC was scared

Yeah, they definitely were. When they were willing to play, we were clearly the better team.

And as a SS alum and fan, I agree that SS should have attacked the stall instead of allowing them to dictate when we played defense.

But heck, I'm just a fan. Our coach has a state title, a R/U and an undefeated, uncrowned championship in 2020 to his credit.

To reiterate the validity of a shot clock, SS would be scoring much more if our opponents were limited to their time on offense.

When we are on offense, we don't need it. ;)

#HereComesTheCloser

7 hours ago, Haydiboy said:

Sounds like an excuse for a big ole L  sounds like you  guys were the ones skeerd of a slower tempo. You have expectation  for teams to play your ball and when they don't and beat you your still convinced  your better  lmbo

Interesting point. Delusional at best, but interesting.

We'll play any style game you want. In the parking lot, on top of the Batman building in Nashville, or your gym. I will personally pay for our teams travel.

And you can pick, shot clock or no. If you want one, fine. Pick the most sophisticated digital instrument, your grandpa's pocketwatch, an abacus or a sundial...it won't matter.

The best have taken their shot in the last two years and as of March 3, 2021 the current record is 53-1. That's more than "convincing".

So when we run you out of your own house, we'll see who was "skeerd"

#CheckMate

#HereComesTheCloser

Edited by HereComesTheCloser

1 minute ago, Haydiboy said:

At least I'm not complaining about a team actually playing defense and making  your team play play different game. It happens take it on the chin and regroup for next year.  Your grown  crying about high school sports.

Look short stack, all you had to do was check the scoreboard. We won the game.

Chest puffy? Yep. You'd be too if you had our record.

The challenge has been issued.

#ByeFelecia

#HereComesTheCloser

9 hours ago, HereComesTheCloser said:

Yeah, they definitely were. When they were willing to play, we were clearly the better team.

And as a SS alum and fan, I agree that SS should have attacked the stall instead of allowing them to dictate when we played defense.

But heck, I'm just a fan. Our coach has a state title, a R/U and an undefeated, uncrowned championship in 2020 to his credit.

To reiterate the validity of a shot clock, SS would be scoring much more if our opponents were limited to their time on offense.

When we are on offense, we don't need it. ;)

#HereComesTheCloser

Southside speeds teams up by pressing and forcing turnovers. A shot clock would be a disadvantage to teams like that. 35-40 sec shot clock mean the other team can hold it or work the ball for 25-30 seconds and then try to score. It would play against teams that like to run.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:47 AM, HereComesTheCloser said:

Interesting point. Delusional at best, but interesting.

We'll play any style game you want. In the parking lot, on top of the Batman building in Nashville, or your gym. I will personally pay for our teams travel.

And you can pick, shot clock or no. If you want one, fine. Pick the most sophisticated digital instrument, your grandpa's pocketwatch, an abacus or a sundial...it won't matter.

The best have taken their shot in the last two years and as of March 3, 2021 the current record is 53-1. That's more than "convincing".

So when we run you out of your own house, we'll see who was "skeerd"

#CheckMate

#HereComesTheCloser

Southside has done well for a while now. However, all anyone has to do is see the film and look at the schedule. They reach too much, they allow too much middle drive, they rely on their size and athletiscm. The district and region is really weak. 

SS can't play any style. ECS beat them and that's a lower level private school.

You wanna take all the smack then call Houston or Christian Brothers and pay for them to play a game. It won't work out well at all. 

The film doesn't lie. 

Welp, now that I'm out of the CoachT jail for having to flame out a keyboard cowboy stuck in mom's basement, as the Eminem song says, "guess who's back, back again!"

Now, back to the original topic of a shot clock.

Would it work to SS advantage by forcing our opponents to shoot and avoid a stall tactic? Yes, it would force them to play our defense. Which is smothering, pressuring and when in man-to-man is closer than 2 coats of paint.

Advantage SS.

When SS is on offense, would we be constricted by a shot clock? No. We have ball movement that keeps opponents heads spinning. We shoot quickly and rebound aggressively. We haven't faced a defense in the last 2 years, regardless of class or locale that has beaten us. The sole loss, is because we beat ourselves.

Advantage SS.

To conclude: advantage SS

Now to conclude the slack jawed, inbred that reported this profile because they were offended by my comments posted here. I apologize for "crossing a line" in talking smack. So here's the response to being censured by a message board administrator. I run 6 different profiles on one social media platform alone. You won't know how many profiles will be created here by this user. VPN's will disguise IP addresses so that won't help. Email addresses from a dozen business domains could be utilized.

I run a Private Equity firm with expertise in marketing. So when the statement is made that I'd pay for our trip to play anyone in the state, including those in higher classes like mentioned on this thread, please feel free to message the Athletic Director's contact information so I can reach out. Heck, I will even use it as a marketing expense from the company to reduce our tax liability. Advantage: Closer

If this is the last post from this account, don't worry, it will embolden one to be bigger and better. Just like SS.

Oh and now after winning Region 7 AA in 2021, the two year record is 54-1.

Advantage SS.

#HereComesTheCloser