More 8 man teams

vandyfan13

Word on Twitter (@8ManExtreme) is that Grace Chattanooga and Zion are switching to 8 man. With Ezell making the move a couple of years ago too, and there being several more schools across the state who would benefit dramatically from it, how long before TSSAA sees the light and adds it as an emerging sport at the least? It's exploding across the country as participation drops and small schools continue to shrink. IL, OH, ME, FL and GA have all started it in the last 3-4 years, and it's always been a big part of high school football out here in the plains (I'm in MO.) I've heard it's been discussed a bit there, but I don't know how seriously. Thoughts?

8 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Thing is you will have some very large inner city schools that could benefit from it also. Glencliff, etc. are struggling to have teams. You would have to put a maximum number of students allowed to go to that or there would just be more whining

Absolutely agree and I would think that "magic" number would not exceed 300-400 students.

I'd say somewhere between 250-300, depending on who shows interest initially. You can always start larger and then scale back as you get a better feel for it like IL has, or just have enrollment caps for playoff qualification like WI and a few other states do. That's probably the better bet for TN right out of the gate, that way some of the struggling metro schools could plays a full schedule still, but you don't have as big of a discrepancy come playoff time, and the larger schools can play a bowl game or something.

30 minutes ago, Haydiboy said:

This might  be a dumb question, but is it easier to score in 8 man football. Some of the teams get 60 ot 70 points a game 

Yes and no, which kind of goes along with the quality of play question in the other thread I have going. Defense can certainly be an adventure at times, especially for new teams, but you see wide ranges of scores. Take us for example, in 2019 we won a game 22-16, then turned around and set the MO record for points in a game the following week (92-88.) With 8 man, just like any other level, there is often a wide gap between the best and worst teams, and that can affect things at times, as can field size. We play on 80x40 in MO, as do a lot of other states, and that can drive up scoring because the field is shortened. I wish we were 100x40, because keeping it the same length typically keeps scores a little more "normal" so to speak. As you might imagine, having one or two great athletes can affect that as well with the increase in open space. For our record setting game, they had a QB and two WRs sign D2 and a 3rd WR who had D3/NAIA offers but didn't accept. I had a QB with D2 offers, and 3 other skill guys with D3 offers, and a  lineman who now has offers this year. We were #s 1 and 4 in the state at the time and both no huddle, up tempo offenses. There were 220 total plays in the game.....

Long story short, there is an increase in space, but at the end of the day it still comes down to coaching and execution for either protecting or exploiting it.

Edited by vandyfan13