More 8 man teams

vandyfan13

In practice, I don't think you'd need an attendance cutoff initially, as I don't think many/any schools that can still field an11-man team would make the jump. There are currently 11 public schools with under 200 attendance that play football, plus several that don't. That's probably your target audience among the publics, plus maybe a few slightly larger magnets or charters, so you might get 10-20 there to start. Once the sport was established,  you'd probably get interest in the second cycle from some bigger schools that struggle to get 30 players or compete. If the TSIAA privates were drawn over, that's around a dozen schools in a given year, and with the added legitimacy of TSSAA sanctioning I think you'd get to 20 privates pretty easily, possibly more since there are privates up to about 300 whose football interest isn't enough for 11-man.

I could see one public classification and one-two private ones to start, depending on the numbers. 11-man would probably need to return to 2 classes on the private side, which may be a net positive as it'd allow for better geographic regions and classes big enough for a state championship to mean more than a region championship.

If there's enough interest in it for there to be more profit than hassle, TSSAA will eventually add it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:45 AM, GG22 said:

In practice, I don't think you'd need an attendance cutoff initially, as I don't think many/any schools that can still field an11-man team would make the jump. There are currently 11 public schools with under 200 attendance that play football, plus several that don't. That's probably your target audience among the publics, plus maybe a few slightly larger magnets or charters, so you might get 10-20 there to start. Once the sport was established,  you'd probably get interest in the second cycle from some bigger schools that struggle to get 30 players or compete. If the TSIAA privates were drawn over, that's around a dozen schools in a given year, and with the added legitimacy of TSSAA sanctioning I think you'd get to 20 privates pretty easily, possibly more since there are privates up to about 300 whose football interest isn't enough for 11-man.

I could see one public classification and one-two private ones to start, depending on the numbers. 11-man would probably need to return to 2 classes on the private side, which may be a net positive as it'd allow for better geographic regions and classes big enough for a state championship to mean more than a region championship.

If there's enough interest in it for there to be more profit than hassle, TSSAA will eventually add it. 

Well said.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, topnight said:

Did Zion Christian get add to football, I cannot find them in a TSSAA region? Where is that program at compare to the others. 

They're deciding whether or not to play 8 man or stay independent to my understanding. I thought they'd already committed to 8m, but apparently they're still mulling it over.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, vandyfan13 said:

They're deciding whether or not to play 8 man or stay independent to my understanding. I thought they'd already committed to 8m, but apparently they're still mulling it over.

I heard rumors that it was going to be costly to get out of their contracts for football games this fall.  I think they still end up playing 8 man but it could be another year before it happens

18 hours ago, maddams said:

I heard rumors that it was going to be costly to get out of their contracts for football games this fall.  I think they still end up playing 8 man but it could be another year before it happens

Is this 2nd year for schedule cycle or first? I thought they just started a new two year cycle.

Edited by MichaelMyers76