8 man teams

vandyfan13

Word on Twitter (@8ManExtreme) is that Grace Chattanooga and Zion are switching to 8 man. With Ezell making the move a couple of years ago too, and there being several more schools across the state who would benefit dramatically from it (Pickett, RBS, Hancock, LV, etc. come to mind), how long before TSSAA sees the light and adds it as an emerging sport at the least? It's exploding across the country as participation drops and small schools continue to shrink. IL, OH, ME, FL and GA have all started it in the last 3-4 years, and it's always been a big part of high school football out here in the plains (I'm in MO.) I've heard it's been discussed a bit there, but I don't know how seriously. Thoughts?

38 minutes ago, crow6424 said:

Would be a great idea for those small schools.

Are you joking? If Grider quits and this Jones man gets Griders job he can not have six down lineman on defence and six safeties like he did in Canada when he won a Super Bowl.  This Childress man makes you have 11 boys on the field not 8.  This mess is stupid.  You think im joking but im not. 

3 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

Are you joking? If Grider quits and this Jones man gets Griders job he can not have six down lineman on defence and six safeties like he did in Canada when he won a Super Bowl.  This Childress man makes you have 11 boys on the field not 8.  This mess is stupid.  You think im joking but im not. 

I’m not joking

Nor am I.

I fully believe it's the future of small football programs nationally as quickly as it's growing. It's already played in TN by the TSIAA and FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, PA, NY, NJ, ME, OH, MI, AL, MS, AR, MO, IL, WI, MN, NE, SD (9m), KS, OK, CO, AZ, CA, OR, ID,  and MT all either have it as a state sanctioned sport or have a separate league like TN.

And before anyone starts throwing out cliches: no it's not an abomination or arena ball and yes kids still get recruited.

1 hour ago, vandyfan13 said:

Nor am I.

I fully believe it's the future of small football programs nationally as quickly as it's growing. It's already played in TN by the TSIAA and FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, PA, NY, NJ, ME, OH, MI, AL, MS, AR, MO, IL, WI, MN, NE, SD (9m), KS, OK, CO, AZ, CA, OR, ID,  and MT all either have it as a state sanctioned sport or have a separate league like TN.

And before anyone starts throwing out cliches: no it's not an abomination or arena ball and yes kids still get recruited.

If my memory is correct I believe Nebraska had 2 All-American OL in the 80's that played 8 man football.  Granted that was 35+ years ago, but I believe both Dave Remington and Dean Steinkuhler (sp?) played 8 man football.  I know for a fact it is successful in Texas.

I have asked TSSAA about it as a possibility but I think you would have to have a limit on the size of a school to have an 8 man football.

Yeah, there would have to be a enrollment cap. I'm guessing the IL model would be the best to follow. They started with a cap of 400 and have slowly scaled it back, I think it's 300 now. TN could start lower because they don't have fall boys' soccer to contend with like IL, but you get the idea. I can't imagine TN ever getting more than 25-35 teams max (I think there's 12-14 currently), but it could be a godsend and save football for those schools, or even spark some teams to start their own (USN?).

Modern offenses are essentially 7 on 7 anyway.   Let me explain....    Most teams line up with a one-back set (5 linemen + QB + RB = 7) and send the other 4 out wide to spread out the defense but mostly to just get the other defenders out of the way and away from the play...   On running plays it is then 7 on 7.     Yeah, some high schools can do pass plays okay but for the most part the skill levels needed to consistently toss and catch are just not there for the average high school.

Personally I miss the days of old school football, i.e., the wishbone, the option, 2 tight end sets, etc.   Back then every guy was involved in every play, not just sent out as a WR to spread the defense.    Well this is just an old guy's thoughts on it, but that is worth the price of admission, huh?