Ooltewah Coaching Job

AirRaid

Ooltewah has a strange and interesting history. In the old 3 class system they were AA for years, and were an occasional playoff team, nothing special. And then they built Hamilton Place Mall in the late 80’s, and growth in that area took off big time. The Owls were forced to AAA, and spent a decade spinning their wheels. In the late 90’s Coach Ted Gatewood arrived, and although it took him a few years, he made them a playoff team. It climaxed in 2001 when the hosted one of Gary Rankin’s best Riverdale teams in the semifinals. They lost 35-7 in a pouring rain. After the 2002 season, Gatewood resigned to enter private business. The school managed to lure Benny Monroe out of retirement. His 2nd season was their best opportunity to win a title. They played at Smyrna in a semifinal game between two teams that had never been to the finals. Ooltewah had the ball inside the Smyrna 10 down by 5 in the final minute, but couldn’t punch it in. Smyrna went on to win the next two 5A (then the state’s largest class) state titles. Ooltewah returned to the Semifinals a couple of year’s later, but were blown out by Oakland. Coach Monroe re-retired, and the program has been back to spinning its wheels ever since. An interesting side note: Coach Gatewood only stayed out for one season before returning to the school as an assistant coach. When they built East Hamilton High to relieve massive overcrowding at Ooltewah, Gatewood was named HC there. As far as I know, he is retired now. 

17 hours ago, HILTONHEAD2020 said:

Rhea has not been out of the 2nd round since 2015. Also 2 losing seasons. Fitzgerald may not be the guy. But Pemberton taking Rhea to new heights?

If memory serves correctly, Fitzgerald seldom got past the 2nd round. Pemberton did take them to their first semifinal since 1989. Rhea is more relevant now than at anytime since the late Bill Horton roamed the sidelines. Just pointing out that Jason hasn’t had ‘Meigs like success’ everywhere. See: Rhea Co., Hixson. 

16 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Maybe one of those applications he fires out may have finally hit it's target. All jokes aside I know one place that has to regret not hiring him was Sequoyah with their big 0-20 coach.

He might fit well at Ooltewah. Its been proven that you can win there. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they are 5A now, which will make the task easier. 

5 hours ago, chs1984 said:

He might fit well at Ooltewah. Its been proven that you can win there. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they are 5A now, which will make the task easier. 

Honestly I hope that does happen because it would be good for Shad and also William Blount which needs to go in another direction. I'm sure coming from Blackman Shad was used to having a better situation all the way around than having to discover what the poor side lives like.